PDA

View Full Version : Retired

artme
10th July 2009, 08:20 AM
Well, QSuper has decided I should be medically retired. They asked the Cardiologist for a report and on the basis of that decided to pension me off.

SWMBO was upset but , quite frankly, I was glad that the decision was made for me. I no longer have to think about some of the horrors of work and the stress it caused me. I have had further battles with the Black Dog since my stents and I really think that avoiding the organisational nonsense of school and the problems of children and parents is something I can really live without.

Now, where are those Cedar planks.:?:?:?

billym
10th July 2009, 08:41 AM
G'Day artme, dont worry you will wonder how you ever had time to go to work. Enjoy billym:D:D:D

wheelinround
10th July 2009, 09:01 AM
Onward and upward Arthur :2tsup: more woodworking hours ahead

The Bleeder
10th July 2009, 10:29 AM
Arthur, now you'll be busier than a one legged man in a bum kicking competition.

Old farmer
10th July 2009, 01:04 PM
Enjoy it, artme, don't take on too much. There are plenty of tomorrows!

DavidG
10th July 2009, 01:11 PM
Life begins with retirement. :2tsup:

Done forget the time is "Friday".

hitch
10th July 2009, 01:23 PM
Good on you Artme.

Retirement is great but there is a down side!!

You no longer get any annual leave, no long weekend or special event holidays and unless you go to church on Sundays it's pretty hard to keep track of just what day of the week it is. You will however soon learn to live with these reduced conditions with a great big smile.

Good luck.

Wongdai
10th July 2009, 01:37 PM
You lucky lucky b4stard! :)

You and your shed are going be closer together than ever.

dai sensei
10th July 2009, 03:37 PM
All the best with the laid back lifestyle :2tsup:

Woodwould
10th July 2009, 03:52 PM
It's a silver lined cloud Arthur. I'm busier now than when I used to work - if that makes sense. You'll find there just aren't enough hours in the day, so you rise earlier and earlier in an attempt to get a jump on things. :U

Weekend hack
10th July 2009, 08:05 PM
Congrats artme.

As I journey further into life, I find work encroaches more and more into my social life.:D

I guess you will find your woodworking encroaching more and more into your woodworking.:cool:

Enjoy.

bsrlee
10th July 2009, 08:56 PM
Yep, enjoy - its a 7 day weekend every week.

You have put in years of hard work while others have sponged off your efforts to a greater or lesser degree, now you get to claim back some of the money they made you put away into compulsory super, which is a much better prize than a short trip in a 6 foot pine box. There is no benefit in working yourself into the grave, a fate which has overtaken quite a few people I have known through my career so far.

Calm
10th July 2009, 09:16 PM
Arthur does this mean someone will finally put a positvie post in Tea Lady's ROUND TUIT thread??:D:D well if you find time -

PS the shed could do with a couple of hours if it hasnt changed since i was up there.

Now is the time to do what Arthur wants to do so get to it and enjoy

Cheers

Christos
11th July 2009, 09:11 AM
I will say that getting to retired is good for some and great for others. My father hated the fact that he could not go to work when he was forced to retire at the age of 67. Seem to be ok after he got into the garden.

Fuzzie
11th July 2009, 07:09 PM
Look on the bright side, it happened after the GFC so you know what the worst case financial scenario is. Making it through this one, it's unlikely we'll be hit by another while we still care.

I made the mistake of putting my toe in the retirement bucket just before GFC. I can tell you I had a few restless nights before ending up back at work.

You'll be busy, it's just that now you'll get to set all the timetables! Enjoy!

rsser
14th July 2009, 05:59 PM
Best of luck with it Artme.

If you've still got some energy, and obviously you have the nous, you may find in time that you want another way to make a contribution - if only part-time or voluntary.

A fella can stand just so much 'messin about in boats' :wink:

rrobor
14th July 2009, 06:11 PM
You will never have a good nights sleep again. All that figuring out how to do this or that, and once its made, if its not just so, you have to face that B in the mirror and explain why. I built a table and for some reason got the width out by 10cm. That guy bugged me so much I put a saw up the middle of it to fit another plank, Jee's I hate that guy.