PDA

View Full Version : Turning wagon wheel hubs

Ironwood
11th July 2009, 07:28 PM
I am refurbishing some wagon wheels that I have, see them in this thread
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=994567#post994567

I have started to turn a new hub shown here. Dimensions are 280mm dia. X 320mm long.

I think I will have to make a steady so I can turn it without the tailstock, and probably mount it on a faceplate.
I need to bore out the centre of the blank to take the axle bush, which seems to be tapered from about 70mm to 100mm and about 320mm long (I havent removed it from the old hub yet to measure accurately)

I think I will have to make a boring bar of some sort to cope with the depth, and resulting overhang on the toolrest. Any thoughts on this?

I might end up using a couple of pieces out of an old bloodwood I have found, if the wood is sound once I cut some up, as it will be a lot drier than this wet Yellow Stringy.

tea lady
11th July 2009, 11:41 PM
I've only seen Wagon wheels made at Sovereign Hill in Ballarat. They have this crazy old workshop with belts going everywhere and all these automatic machines to do each job in the process. Amazing. Now if I could only remember what they did.:doh: I know they turned the hubs out of green timber and let them dry for ages. I think they did drill the axle hole first then jambed it onto the mandrel of the lathe somehow. :think: Anyone else been to Sovereign Hill.:rolleyes:

TTIT
12th July 2009, 01:05 AM
........... I know they turned the hubs out of green timber and let them dry for ages. I think they did drill the axle hole first then jambed it onto the mandrel of the lathe somehow. :think: Anyone else been to Sovereign Hill.:rolleyes:Checked it out last xmas. From memory the axle hole was drilled with a huge spade-type bit first then the outside shaped and finally the axle holes were morticed before the hub was stored for 5 years or so to season. Might have to be a very long term project Ironwood!:;

artme
12th July 2009, 08:55 AM
Does the MC900 grunt with that load aboard Ironwood?

RETIRED
12th July 2009, 11:01 AM
What the others have said. Hole first, then outside.

Ironwood
12th July 2009, 05:16 PM
I've only seen Wagon wheels made at Sovereign Hill in Ballarat. They have this crazy old workshop with belts going everywhere and all these automatic machines to do each job in the process. Amazing. Now if I could only remember what they did.:doh: I know they turned the hubs out of green timber and let them dry for ages. I think they did drill the axle hole first then jambed it onto the mandrel of the lathe somehow.

Checked it out last xmas. From memory the axle hole was drilled with a huge spade-type bit first then the outside shaped and finally the axle holes were morticed before the hub was stored for 5 years or so to season. Might have to be a very long term project Ironwood!:;

Thanks TL and Ttit, I seem to be stumbling along in the right general direction.
It's been a long steady project already, so I guess whats another 5 years :B

Does the MC900 grunt with that load aboard Ironwood?
Hi Artme , it's a Record CL3, and yes it certainly knows it's got it on board. Not too bad once its balanced though.

Ironwood
12th July 2009, 05:18 PM
What the others have said. Hole first, then outside.

Thanks . Getting that hole through is the next challenge.

I'll make up a steady to hold the outboard end in line and see how I go. just have to scrounge up a few bits and pieces.

rsser
12th July 2009, 09:51 PM
Foot long hole of 70 - 100 mm? Should be a challenge.

Can you do half at a time and switch around?

If so an Oland type tool with a good size tip might work, or a square end scraper after you've opened a hole with a forstner bit (taking cuts on the corner going down parallel with the axis) or maybe a big bowl gouge.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th July 2009, 10:02 PM
That sort of boring is where the old spoon-type bits in a bit'n'brace excel. Not on the lathe, of course.

Bit hard to source nowadays though... :think:

tea lady
12th July 2009, 11:03 PM
:doh: There was a long hole boring set up on ebay yesterday, but its not there now.:rolleyes: