PDA

View Full Version : Chess Pieces

wattcoffee
11th July 2009, 09:59 PM
Hello!

I am in year 10 and I am designing a Chessboard for my major project. I have a couple of wood questions.

I want to use Silver Ash and (New Guinea) Rosewood, but was wondering if rosewood is dark enough, and how do they go on a lathe.

I have a list of woods to choose from:
Dark
Makore
Sapele Mahogany
Plantation Mahogany
Merabu
Rosewood

White
Hoop Pine
Silver Ash

I want to know which types would be best for a chess board (colour wise and is it easy to work with on a lathe?)

I also hear you cannot use estapol on rosewood have you got some other finishes that can be used?

I also need to know how to make all the pieces as identical as possible.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th July 2009, 10:40 PM
I think NG Rosewood & Silver Ash would make a nice combo.

If you're really concerned about the contrast, just be careful when you select the pieces for purchase.

Both NGR & Silver Ash turn nicely, but with Silver Ash you need to take care not to get it looking... "grubby" from too much handling before you apply a finish.

Best of luck!

artme
12th July 2009, 08:52 AM
The choice given by the above august member is that which I would have given my self had I bee first to reply to your question.

Briefly, I agree.:D:D

wattcoffee
12th July 2009, 08:58 AM
I hear rosewood is quite oily so what finish would work with the oil?

joe greiner
12th July 2009, 10:57 PM
Making the pieces "identical" will be a major challenge, especially since you'll need 8 copies of each colour for the pawns. Before proceeding with the chess set, it will help to practice on something simpler, and larger, to assess preferred options.

In no particular order:

A contour gauge, consisting of adjustable clamped wires, is too flimsy for repetitive use.

Profile templates will probably suffice. Try stout cardboard first, then consider plastic (e.g. expired credit cards), or metal.

A few years ago, I found a "parallax jig" on the weird wild web: ( http://www.delorie.com/wood/tips/parallax-jig.html ) I'm working on a general adaptation, but it's a few months away from completion.

Simplest of all, make extra copies by winging it, and select the best matching versions. Like here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=57866

Cheers,
Joe