PDA

View Full Version : Kiewa Xmas-New Year Turn-on / get-together

Pages : [1] 2

jefferson
12th July 2009, 07:57 PM
I've had a look at the calendar and the date options seem fairly limited. Xmas day is the Friday and New Year is the following Friday.

I suspect people will want to be close to home for Boxing Day and New Year's Eve, so....

The plan is to hold the event on Monday 28th - Tuesday 29th for the main turning days. We'll be at home all week if the above dates don't suit, so please feel free to drop in anytime from the 27th-30th.

Plenty of room for caravans, tents etc on our 9 acres. Also, I'll clean up one area of the shed for stretchers if that's helpful.

Thus far I am putting as much pressure as I can on and Ken W. to do some demos.

I think I already have a few coming up, so the get-together will be a good opportunity to catch up and turn.

No idea as to the agenda, but I'd like to incorporate a small furniture item on the list. Some nicely turned coffee table legs out of my redgum stash (or something similar).

A joint effort of course!:)

It will go home to the lucky door prize winner.

Anyway, let me know if you're coming so we can organise tucker and some tents etc.

Jeff

funkychicken
12th July 2009, 08:08 PM
That's almost tempting enough to send me south:think:

Calm
12th July 2009, 08:36 PM

No idea as to the agenda, but I'd like to incorporate a small furniture item on the list. Some nicely turned coffee table legs out of my redgum stash (or something similar).

A joint effort of course!:)......................Jeff

If its a joint effort on turning the coffee table legs i bags doing the first one:2tsup::2tsup::D:D:rolleyes:

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
12th July 2009, 09:18 PM
If its a joint effort on turning the coffee table legs i bags doing the first one:2tsup::2tsup::D:D:rolleyes:

Cheers

You piker :q

Got Jeff sitting here next to me now David and here's a pic to prove it :q and he says that does leg 1 with you doing leg 4 :roll: :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th July 2009, 09:22 PM
It'll be a square table, yes? I'll turn the top. :p

Calm
12th July 2009, 09:25 PM
You piker :q

Got Jeff sitting here next to me now David and here's a pic to prove it :q and he says that does leg 1 with you doing leg 4 :roll: :U

How many tables are we making?

Is it one of those new "arty" ones where all legs are different??:D:D:D

Teach him where ispy is so he can see the posts as they come up.

Cheers

jefferson
12th July 2009, 10:18 PM
Calm, you are a dreaming,

I will mill the boards to square, DAR.

I'll also help with the glue-up on the top. After that....

turns the first leg, you get the last one, plus the sanding. (You're good at it).:D:D:D And we want the last leg to look the same as the first - never mind about the other two.

Then you get to Domino the legs and rails and then glue the frame (nice and square please). :U

A little ebony inlay on the top would be a nice touch too! :2tsup:

So how is the serenity now?

If someone can show me how to use my HVLP spray gun, I'll finish.

Jeff

nalmo
12th July 2009, 11:03 PM
I'll make the packers to stop the table wobbling.

rsser
13th July 2009, 07:46 AM
If someone can show me how to use my HVLP spray gun, I'll finish.

Jeff

Just suck up a mouthful and have someone hit you on the back Jeff. That'd finish things I reckon.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th July 2009, 05:58 PM
Errrm... he said HVLP gun, not GULP gun, Ern. :U

KenW
14th July 2009, 06:50 PM
Jeff, I'm certain that the deal we made was, you demo and I watch. Box 8 and 9 will do.
I have witnesses, two ladies that were sober at the time.

RETIRED
14th July 2009, 06:53 PM
Jeff, I'm certain that the deal we made was, you demo and I watch. Box 8 and 9 will do.
That sounds good to me too.:D
After the box, a set of large (300 mm high pawns) matching chess pieces?:wink::D and after lunch...............................

tea lady
14th July 2009, 07:36 PM
After the box, a set of large (300 mm high pawns) matching chess pieces?:wink::D and after lunch...............................a spiral staircase?:D

jefferson
14th July 2009, 09:25 PM

After the box, a set of large (300 mm high pawns) matching chess pieces?:wink::D and after lunch...............................

Alright you two pros, settle down a little.

You both have played some jokes (at my expense), so you both will keep. Guaranteed. :wink::wink:

I am pondering on what tasks may challenge you both......

And yes, I will demo box no 25 at Xmas. My method, with a little of everyone else's thrown in.

I think we have 4 lathes available:

- a long bed VL300
- a VL 100 (which DJ has until Xmas until he offers me some S/P grinders in exchange}
- a cheapo Delta midi lathe
- DJ's short bed VL 300

A Stubby would be nice, even a little Nugget.

Ern, if you're coming you can bring your new toy too. I just need to know what bench height you want.

rsser
14th July 2009, 10:35 PM
It only weighs about 150 kg with legs, so its a midget compared with the Stubby.

But not so midget that it'll fit on the Fireblade :rolleyes:

(2nd turning on it was today; a plug, 7 mm diameter and 9 mm long.)

tea lady
14th July 2009, 11:59 PM
Ern, if you're coming you can bring your new toy too. I just need to know what bench height you want.Ern and skew can stand on some phone books or something.:p

(2nd turning on it was today; a plug, 7 mm diameter and 9 mm long.)Good to see you taking it easy there Ern.:D But it didn't happen without pics.:rolleyes:

Just a thought. Maybe Skew could bring up his pole lathe. :cool: I'll have a go and give everyone a laugh. :D Is it anything like using a kick wheel for pottery? :cool:

Bump

RETIRED
20th November 2009, 01:14 PM
Bump.

jefferson
20th November 2009, 01:47 PM
I forgot to say....

3 bedrooms. One for me and Annie, another for the Wraights, and the other (if I finish it) for Tea Lady and spouse.

Plenty of room in the shed though. More room if you bring a tent or camper. (Just make sure you shut the roller doors. Snakes.....:D)

Blokes dunny outside. If the plumber gets it working.

It will be hot. Must get a Swampy on the shed soon...... Before Xmas maybe. :wink: SWMBO may have different thoughts.

All I need is numbers. Don't bring any food. (BYO grog though). And for you , I will supply the tea bags. And sugar. Lots of it.

But I do need some lathes. Not toys. Think big. And bring plenty of wood.

The theme for the occasion is BIG. (If it doesn't work out, we'll impose on Harry and his VB 36.)

Rob, my next-door-neighbor - has a tractor and fork lift, so no worries at this end.

Looking forward to seeing some of you here between Xmas and New Year. :2tsup:

rsser
20th November 2009, 02:06 PM
So 28th and 29th still the turning days Jeff?

jefferson
20th November 2009, 02:28 PM
Yep, Ern, the main days are Mond 28th- Tues 29th.

The days either side are "booked" as well - we'll be here anyway. So if the dates don't coincide, never mind.

I know it's a long way to travel, but it would sure be nice to see a few of you up here.

I think (pray) that and Ken W. will do impromtu demos while they are here, so the visit will be worthwhile. *Name dropper" that I am. :D:D:D

Again, I need some lathes. Big ones. I will see what I can organise locally too, to save on fuel and hassles etc. (I must buy a pallet lifter. I can't afford a forklift.)

The only agenda is that we make something. I don't particularly care what it is, but if you have the winning ticket, it's yours to take home. Caveat: it must be a joint effort.

tea lady
20th November 2009, 04:56 PM
:cool: I think I've talked Hubby and Small boy into coming. They can go for walks in the mountains or something. :D Or someone can help small boy make a castle for his little monsters to play in.:D If he hasn't talked me in to doing it by then.:rolleyes:

I haven't got any big lathe to bring sorry. :C:rolleyes: Might have a few bits of wood though. :think: :cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th November 2009, 05:20 PM
Just a thought. Maybe Skew could bring up his pole lathe. :cool: I'll have a go and give everyone a laugh. :D Is it anything like using a kick wheel for pottery? :cool:

Not quite. It's more like using Grandma's ol' Singer treadly sewing-machine. Except you stand...

I've got the date pencilled in, looking forward to it actually; I've been flat out with non-WW related jobs lately and haven't managed any shed time. :C (So I'm praying nothing unexpected rears it's ugly head.)

With luck I'll see y'all there!

rsser
20th November 2009, 05:27 PM
Goodo Jeff.

I'll be on the motorbike so can't bring a lathe I'm afraid.

TL, there used to be a nice swimming hole on the Kiewa down at Redbank. I nearly drowned there as a kid but still think it's worth a visit. Can give you more details closer to the time. There's another opposite the Mt Beauty Holiday Centre.

Yes, it does get hot up in the valley. The mountains block any S or W breeze. But the Kiewa is often really cold as it takes the hydro generating water from the dams up in those same mountains. V. refreshing! Lovely country. Spent some years in Mt Beauty as a kid.

tea lady
20th November 2009, 05:39 PM
TL, there used to be a nice swimming hole on the Kiewa down at Redbank. I nearly drowned there as a kid but still think it's worth a visit. Can give you more details closer to the time. There's another opposite the Mt Beauty Holiday Centre.

Yes, it does get hot up in the valley. The mountains block any S or W breeze. But the Kiewa is often really cold as it takes the hydro generating water from the dams up in those same mountains. V. refreshing! Lovely country. Spent some years in Mt Beauty as a kid.:2tsup:

powderpost
20th November 2009, 09:28 PM
Why do you people live so far away? I would love to be there too.
Jim

rsser
20th November 2009, 09:31 PM
Kiewa's about 250 km closer to you than Melbourne Jim.

That should swing it ;-}

jefferson
20th November 2009, 09:48 PM
Jim

Jim,

You'd die down here. We have a 20 degree swing between hot and cold. Day and night. Qld'ers don't take it too well. :D

Not much snow left nearby, but some.

As with all woodturners, you are welcome here any time. I have good/ great shed facilities, not so with the old house. Renovations..... :rolleyes:

What say you come and visit mid-July next year? -4 (almost) a given. Then we'll see how good your chisel work is...... :D:D:D

powderpost
20th November 2009, 10:35 PM
Is that a challenge Jeff?
Jim

tea lady
20th November 2009, 10:37 PM
JimOh come on! Its all down hill.:D

jefferson
21st November 2009, 09:30 AM
Is that a challenge Jeff?
Jim

A challenge and an invite. :wink:

Now, if you enter the national comp. in June, I'm sure the Victorians will take you to the exhibition - and see whether you won something Segmented. I'm pretty sure they've put the segmented stuff back into Open for next year.

After that, up here to frost country. I'll light the fire for you and (again) admire your chisel work. Not peeing in your pocket, Jim, but you're one of my favourites. I sure do like watching good turners turn. (I hope that's normal???)

Sort the dates out. The Exhibition is 18-20th June.

Calm
26th November 2009, 09:53 AM
Ok so this shindig at Jeffs shack

Jeff wants a good lathe - I suppose i could load the STUBBY 750 onto the trailer for the "infidels" * to play with:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:q:q - We would need a peice of wood 750mm diameter to turn decent sized platter/bowl.

Something to do well how about if i throw in a couple of these for visitors to "play" ** with.

122972 122973

Please give ideas of what is to be made and i will bring slabs to suit. - Jeff has equipment to do almost anything. (tool sl*t)

If only for turning i will bring warped suitable for platters.

So get thinking and let me know what is needed.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

* Infidel - person who has VL300 or other lesser type lathe (obviously not a STUBBY owner)
** all results/items made to stay with Jeff for his disposal and proceeds to cover his costs or charity of his choice.

Jim Carroll
26th November 2009, 12:35 PM
Definatly confirmed the blond and me will be there.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Jeff will Ken W be there with his dodgy back ?
He may need some VB tranquilisers

Allan at Wallan
26th November 2009, 12:45 PM
Definatly confirmed the blond and me will be there.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Jeff will Ken W be there with his dodgy back ?
He may need some VB tranquilisers

Just spoke with Ken W. He is in good spirits and hopes
to be coming home shortly. Helen learning how to fit
the brace on him. Unsure if he would be attending?

Allan

tea lady
26th November 2009, 04:29 PM
:U Looks like there might be a good bunch of us. We could just rig up a hook on the wall to hold Ken up.:D

jefferson
26th November 2009, 10:46 PM
Calm, a very generous offer of that wood. And bringing the Stubby up. Yes, please! :2tsup:

And DJ, if you are coming and can manage it, your VL300 would be great too. Bring the dynabolts if you must....

I am seriously, seriously thinking about either a VL200 or 300 SB or a Stubby 750 before Xmas as well. Some (as expected) problems with the other half, but where there's a will, there's a way. :rolleyes: Plus a swampy on the roof in the shed.

The local Club President (Col Storey - a registered member, but still yet to post - has been out here twice this week) will bring his big lathe over, so we have three big 'uns at least. (Thanks so much and Ken for the intros to the locals. :)) Happy here.

And the club secretary has his VB 36 that can't be moved, but it's close. I'm sure Harry would be happy to take visitors over to see a "real" lathe. ( tried and failed to stall it, that's how it compares against many other lathes..... Um, Calm. :wink:).

I know some people like an organised event, some like the chat and the company. And with Ken unlikely to attend (I was hoping for an imprompty demo with him and working in tandem, apparently they are a great tag-team), we do need a theme.

I like the small stuff, so what say this time we go BIG.

I haven't ask this favour, but I will here, just to put the pressure on. Safety first, to supervise (please). I get scared when stuff gets over 300 mm.

We can do some small stuff on the baby 750 Stubby..... (Sorry, David, that one I couldn't resist.) :D:D:D That's what happens when you buy a lathe that you can't turn outboard on.....

Not sure exactly what I can turn outboard on the VL300, but I know it's bigger than that!!!!

I will need numbers soon. If anyone brings food, we will be offended. Truly.

Limited accommodation in the house for the ladies.

Or perhaps all the guys, me included, can sleep in the shed among all the dust? Would the ladies mind sharing a room? ( and Julie have the camper, so he may be the only lucky one among us). So guys, bring a stretcher is you are staying over.

And I will have the little VL100, just in case Ern and I get bored with all the dangerous stuff and want to turn some smaller pieces.....

No, before the Big Stuff starts, I will demo (with help) all that I know on the little stuff that Ken W. has taught me. Some finials, discs, captive rings etc. All with tailstock support (thanks Ken).

I promise to clear the shed out. I hope to have a new floor and kitchen done before Xmas (60 sheets of 2400 x 1200 melamine in the way.....) If not, we'll work around the mess. If only I had a forklift. Or pallet lifter. :rolleyes:

I have quite a few machines to move to make space. The big part of the shed is full of woodworking gear that I hope to all the lathes in.

So how does all this sound? Are we happy with big (and some small to start)?

I hope to get the wood-wizz up and running soon, so at least we start with wood that is in balance. (, we may need to revise my circle cutting jig on the bandsaw though.

funkychicken
26th November 2009, 11:31 PM
Sooo... Who wants to pick me up from the airport? I'm seriously thinking about coming:doh:

Calm
27th November 2009, 07:52 AM
Sooo... Who wants to pick me up from the airport? I'm seriously thinking about coming:doh:

I could do that but it has to be Melbourne airport. Get Carl to come as well - you would both enjoy the trip.

Cheers

funkychicken
27th November 2009, 07:57 PM
The cheapest flights (by about $200) are on Jetstar and they land at Avalon. And there's no way I could stand 2 hours on a plane with Carl:p

rsser
27th November 2009, 08:01 PM
Take a flight to Albury and hitch. It's only about 70 k I think.

weisyboy
27th November 2009, 08:02 PM
oi!

id drive down if i had the time but im flat out working most weekends to.

KenW
30th November 2009, 02:24 PM
Calm, a very generous offer of that wood. And bringing the Stubby up. Yes, please! :2tsup:

And DJ, if you are coming and can manage it, your VL300 would be great too. Bring the dynabolts if you must....

I am seriously, seriously thinking about either a VL200 or 300 SB or a Stubby 750 before Xmas as well. Some (as expected) problems with the other half, but where there's a will, there's a way. :rolleyes: Plus a swampy on the roof in the shed.

The local Club President (Col Storey - a registered member, but still yet to post - has been out here twice this week) will bring his big lathe over, so we have three big 'uns at least. (Thanks so much and Ken for the intros to the locals. :)) Happy here.

And the club secretary has his VB 36 that can't be moved, but it's close. I'm sure Harry would be happy to take visitors over to see a "real" lathe. ( tried and failed to stall it, that's how it compares against many other lathes..... Um, Calm. :wink:).

I know some people like an organised event, some like the chat and the company. And with Ken unlikely to attend (I was hoping for an imprompty demo with him and working in tandem, apparently they are a great tag-team), we do need a theme.

I like the small stuff, so what say this time we go BIG.

I haven't ask this favour, but I will here, just to put the pressure on. Safety first, to supervise (please). I get scared when stuff gets over 300 mm.

We can do some small stuff on the baby 750 Stubby..... (Sorry, David, that one I couldn't resist.) :D:D:D That's what happens when you buy a lathe that you can't turn outboard on.....

Not sure exactly what I can turn outboard on the VL300, but I know it's bigger than that!!!!

I will need numbers soon. If anyone brings food, we will be offended. Truly.

Limited accommodation in the house for the ladies.

Or perhaps all the guys, me included, can sleep in the shed among all the dust? Would the ladies mind sharing a room? ( and Julie have the camper, so he may be the only lucky one among us). So guys, bring a stretcher is you are staying over.

And I will have the little VL100, just in case Ern and I get bored with all the dangerous stuff and want to turn some smaller pieces.....

No, before the Big Stuff starts, I will demo (with help) all that I know on the little stuff that Ken W. has taught me. Some finials, discs, captive rings etc. All with tailstock support (thanks Ken).

I promise to clear the shed out. I hope to have a new floor and kitchen done before Xmas (60 sheets of 2400 x 1200 melamine in the way.....) If not, we'll work around the mess. If only I had a forklift. Or pallet lifter. :rolleyes:

I have quite a few machines to move to make space. The big part of the shed is full of woodworking gear that I hope to all the lathes in.

So how does all this sound? Are we happy with big (and some small to start)?

I hope to get the wood-wizz up and running soon, so at least we start with wood that is in balance. (, we may need to revise my circle cutting jig on the bandsaw though.
It seems if bloke falls off a roof his invitation goes over with him. Are Helen and I still welcome?

VL300s turn very large pieces outboard, however not with Little Grasshopers doing the turning.
Real lathes like Dave's turn even larger pieces over the bed, again not with Little Grasshopers doing the turning.

All real workshops have forklifts, ask or me.

jefferson
30th November 2009, 03:06 PM
It seems if bloke falls off a roof his invitation goes over with him. Are Helen and I still welcome?

VL300s turn very large pieces outboard, however not with Little Grasshopers doing the turning.
Real lathes like Dave's turn even larger pieces over the bed, again not with Little Grasshopers doing the turning.

The room for you and Helen remains booked for you. :2tsup::2tsup: I didn't want to pressure you into coming up if you weren't right.

And you cheeky bugger. :D Little Grasshopper is progressing OK - I think. Ask , he saw some of my handiwork at last visit on a little bowl / platter. And some hack work on his 600mm platter. Inboard then, tail stock definitely up.

Now, as for a forklift..... The budget will not go that far. Quotes for the new A/C in the shed, around $4K. (We need to be cool with all the hot air expected over the break.... :D:D)

The neighbor has a tractor though and we got 60 sheets of melamine into the shed without a hitch. I just need a pallet lifter.

And one final thing. Vic Wood tells me that if the pupil is not progressing, the person to blame is the tutor. :D:D So, it's either your fault or 's.....

Calm
30th November 2009, 04:09 PM
Jeff wont cancel the STUBBY coming with me just yet - wait til closser to see that your 175 turns up.

Also Ken and I are used to turning on "better" equipment :D:D:D not all your visitors will be trained on "premier" lathes so might as well give them a thrill for Christmas - Jim might appreciate that - a few orders for the new year when he gets back to work.

Cheers

tea lady
30th November 2009, 05:16 PM
Are we still gonna make a table? :? Maybe a little round side table on a pedestal or something. :shrug:

tea lady
30th November 2009, 05:37 PM
What about one like this?

https://www.brocadehome.com/images/products/bh_prod112109/bh_prod112109_mn.jpg

Or one kind this shape with off centre turning.
http://www.robelliotfurniture.com/site_files/gallery/tables/various/pedestal%20table.jpg

Or we could go shaker. :shrug:
http://www.massfoodcoop.org/shop/members/getimage.php?image_id=120

Too ornate? :rolleyes: Or too hard for us? :mwahaha:
http://www.laserforge.com/marquetry/split_shell_table_%28750px%29.jpg

Or a Cricket kind like Wouldwood made. At least we could say we played cricket over the holidays.:D
http://media.photobucket.com/image/turned%20table/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/Ash%20Cricket%20Table/Geo_III_elm_cricket_table_01a.jpg

tea lady
30th November 2009, 05:49 PM
Woo hoo! I'm inspired now. Lets make a cricket. :cool:

One like this?
http://images.onlinegalleries.com:8080/gfx/74992.jpg

or this?
http://www.antiqueoakfurniture.co.uk/images/201020082240stool_20.jpg

or this? http://www.customtables.com.au/images/furniture_18.jpg

a bit sofistikated?

http://www.alistairsampson.com/siteadmin/RTE/my_documents/my_pictures/ID14s.jpg

So who wants to play cricket? :wave:

:D

Calm
30th November 2009, 06:00 PM

One like this?
........ who wants to play cricket? :wave:

:D

I think the slabs are 65mm thick - i will need to check - thats if you want to use Blackwood.

What size for the legs - i might need to find that. Give me some rough dimensions dia & length and i will see what i got. - or can find.

Going to Adelaide about 7 tonight be back tomorrow night so will have a look at the farm on Wednesday for wood.

Cheers

jefferson
30th November 2009, 06:06 PM
Are we still gonna make a table? :? Maybe a little round side table on a pedestal or something. :shrug:

We can make (almost anything) here. No chairs though, unless you want me to get the spindle moulder and jigs made beforehand. :rolleyes:

Jeff wont cancel the STUBBY coming with me just yet - wait til closser to see that your 175 turns up.

Also Ken and I are used to turning on "better" equipment :D:D:D not all your visitors will be trained on "premier" lathes so might as well give them a thrill for Christmas - Jim might appreciate that - a few orders for the new year when he gets back to work.

Cheers

Alright, Calm, you've opened your (big) trap. :D:D You better bring the 2 speed Stubby up so can stall it. After we all wait for 5 minutes until it gets up to full speed...... (You can re-program the beast, or so I am told). I'd sure like to see whether the head and tail stocks line up too. :D:D:D

And after stalls the 3 speed ratio VL 300, (with more difficulty I might add) maybe we'll impose on Harry and wander over to his place and try it again on the VB 36. Now that's a lathe.

Calm
30th November 2009, 06:18 PM
....................... can stall it.
......................... stalls the 3 speed ratio .............

Maybe needs to learn how to sharpen chisels properly and present them to the work correctly so they cut/slice the wood off instead of tearing it apart.:p:p:p:p

As well as that if he "listened" to what the lathe was telling him he would "feel" the load coming on and relax the pressure - i think a real turner once told me "let the lathe talk to you" or was it "listen to the lathe" something about not wearing earmuffs

But then again there will always be those in every facet of life that are all brawn and little (what is the word i am looking for) :p:p:p

Cheers

tea lady
30th November 2009, 06:51 PM
:rofl:

should we hire a bus for the lathe tour? :think:

RETIRED
30th November 2009, 07:36 PM
Maybe needs to learn how to sharpen chisels properly and present them to the work correctly so they cut/slice the wood off instead of tearing it apart.:p:p:p:pYeah right.

As well as that if he "listened" to what the lathe was telling him he would "feel" the load coming on and relax the pressure - i think a real turner once told me "let the lathe talk to you" or was it "listen to the lathe" something about not wearing earmuffs. The Stubby doesn't talk to you because it has stopped, besides I am deaf remember.

But then again there will always be those in every facet of life that are all brawn and little (what is the word i am looking for) :p:p:pBrain is what you were looking for you forgetful young whipper snapper.

CheersBloody young pup.:wink:

jefferson
30th November 2009, 07:49 PM
Post of the day, . Almost wet myself there for a moment. :2tsup::2tsup:

I'd give you a Greenie, but haven't worked that out yet.

tea lady
30th November 2009, 08:00 PM
What size for the legs - i might need to find that. Give me some rough dimensions dia & length and i will see what i got. - or can find.:think: About that. :D Aboput side table height. :shrug:

Going to Adelaide about 7 tonight be back tomorrow night so will have a look at the farm on Wednesday for wood.

Cheers:2tsup::2tsup: Have fun! :D

Calm
5th December 2009, 03:58 PM

One like this?
http://images.onlinegalleries.com:8080/gfx/74992.jpg

Ok i have found enough bits of Blackwood to make similar to this.

The top & centre disk out of slabs (50mm thick) and the legs out of 75 x75 x 750 mm blackwood. Of course the legs can be any design that happens

I also have some bits for bowls, and platters - I have some warped Blackwood slabs that can be used for platters - 50 to 65 mm thick - maybe shallow bowls.

As for agenda and organising i think very casual (not regimented) - no timetable just a list of things to do and if we get them done goodo if not no sleep lost - my main worry is WHO SNORES if we are sleeping in the shed - i dont (can say i have never heard myself snore) no definetly not me.

WHen i get around to some photos of the wood i will post

Cheers

jefferson
7th December 2009, 09:38 PM
Alright,

I'm off-line for a while. Those with my phone no can ring, no worries. Anyone else intending to come up, please let know so we can work the numbers out.

Very busy renovating. And no kitchen yet. :((

New split system in the old house this Friday. Swampy in the shed late the week after (hopefully). And Jim assures me that the VL 175 will be here this week. If I can fit it in the shed..... :D:D:D

I'm checking my email and forum posts every few days (briefly). So please stay in touch with the master . I / we just need some numbers.

And I need some time...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

tea lady
7th December 2009, 10:04 PM
:2tsup: Wow! Thanks David. Looking forward to it.

Look after yourself Jefferson. :U We'll survive whatever happens. Maybe we could build you kitchen for you on the first day if you don't get it done.:cool::D

jefferson
8th December 2009, 08:16 AM
:2tsup:
Look after yourself Jefferson. :U We'll survive whatever happens. Maybe we could build you kitchen for you on the first day if you don't get it done.:cool::D

Tea Lady, the brother in law is taking the lead and looking after me, thanks. :)

The kitchen will not be completed by Xmas. (The kitchen designer next door didn't do me any favours.)

And no, there will be no work done on the house or shed while you are up. We will be too busy turning and making (something).

tea lady
8th December 2009, 12:28 PM
Tea Lady, the brother in law is taking the lead and looking after me, thanks. :)

The kitchen will not be completed by Xmas. (The kitchen designer next door didn't do me any favours.)

And no, there will be no work done on the house or shed while you are up. We will be too busy turning and making (something).:2tsup:

Ben from Vic.
8th December 2009, 05:53 PM
I'm considering dropping by, and I don't even have a lathe!!

Any room for a stationary furniture maker?

RETIRED
8th December 2009, 07:44 PM
Ok, we are getting a few possibles.

Jeff is tied up with his house Renos so I have been asked to start getting things a little organised.

PM me with the dates you are coming. Remember this is catered so we need to know.

Ed Reiss
9th December 2009, 12:27 PM

Right Ken...but how the hell to get it down the steps to the cellar is the problem:D

Calm
9th December 2009, 12:44 PM
Hi big change of plans here - Had all the kids etc for a roast last night and was informed we are camping/water skiing at Tarumbarry from the 27th to 30 December :(

YEP thats right we meaning dad you drive the boat, look after the kid (grandchild) while they ski, swim and have fun. My car will be towing the camper trailer to the river for camping.

So i am reconsidering how i get to Jeffs, will probably go up earlier (pre christmas) and take the wood etc - with a VL300 (boat anchor) & a VL175 (Tinny Anchor) the peasants/infedels may have to forgo the chance of a few days on the STUBBY - just wont seem like christmas will it:D:D:D

Will have to play it by ear till the kids make up thjeir minds.

Distance on WHeris .com 284 km from river to Jeffs.

cheers

tea lady
9th December 2009, 10:40 PM
Hi big change of plans here - Had all the kids etc for a roast last night and was informed we are camping/water skiing at Tarumbarry from the 27th to 30 December :(

Will have to play it by ear till the kids make up thjeir minds.

Distance on WHeris .com 284 km from river to Jeffs.

cheers:C b&^%^&! Telll 'em you'll take 'em camping the next week.:rolleyes:

Frank&Earnest
9th December 2009, 11:57 PM
A smidget short of 1,000 Km for me, Calm. I do not care about the Stubby, but if you had a VB36 there, I could have made the effort...:D Now, that seems to be a VB worth having...:p

As it is, Jeff, too long a trip to give you back your gouges, I have mailed them today.:wink:

Best wishes to you all.

jefferson
10th December 2009, 09:38 AM
Calm, you'll be sorely missed. Do what you need to do with family - always 1st.

And thanks for sending the chisels back Frank.

Off to the shed to build a kitchen....

artme
11th December 2009, 12:05 AM
:C b&^%^&! Telll 'em you'll take 'em camping the next week.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't next Christmas be soon enough!!!:D:D:D

Calm
11th December 2009, 07:05 AM
Wouldn't next Christmas be soon enough!!!:D:D:D

This tends to be my opinion on camping too Arthur:2tsup::2tsup:

sleepinmg on the ground, ants, dirt & dust in everything - other campers leaving generators running all night - other campers dogs - kids on dirt bikes - other campers drinking al night , yelling - not to mention bloody mozzies

If i had my druthers it wouldnt be spending 4 nights there. WHat do they think it is Christmas or somethin:?:?:D:D

But dont worry nuthin like a Chev 350 at full throttle at 6.30 am water skiing - yep they all wake up early just 4 me.

Cheers

artme
11th December 2009, 08:07 AM
But dont worry nuthin like a Chev 350 at full throttle at 6.30 am water skiing - yep they all wake up early just 4 me.

Cheers

You are decidedly evil!!!!:D:D:D

tea lady
11th December 2009, 08:54 AM
sleepinmg on the ground, ants, dirt & dust in everything - other campers leaving generators running all night - other campers dogs - kids on dirt bikes - other campers drinking al night , yelling - not to mention bloody mozzies

Cheers

Much better to have shavings in everything. Other turners lathe motors. A thicky going. Dogs barking at the dusty. Other turners drinking all night. Yelling- not to mention the bloody mozzies.:D

RETIRED
22nd December 2009, 04:03 PM
Come on you lot, who's coming? and when?

Send me a pm please.

So far we have:

Jim and Irene. If you want to order anything from Jim and ARE ATTENDING the Turnon, order before Thursday and he will bring it with him.
Tea lady.
DJ.
Ken Wraight and his lovely wife.
Calm possibly.
RSSER will be calling in.
Myself and my lovely wife.
Jeff of course and his lovely wife.
Some local club members who want to see how it is really done.

Any I have forgotten?

rsser
22nd December 2009, 05:07 PM
FWIW when organising Ernfests I found folk a little on the tardy side with RSVPs.

And maybe it'd be worth posting what folk will be able to see and do during the two days - or did I miss that?

RETIRED
22nd December 2009, 06:31 PM
FWIW when organising Ernfests I found folk a little on the tardy side with RSVPs. Don't I know it.:D

And maybe it'd be worth posting what folk will be able to see and do during the two days - or did I miss that?It will be fairly casual with a few people turning stuff and others asking questions or having a go.

I have found that unless you make it a demonstration type situation you can't really structure any timetable.

More so this one as different people are arriving different times.

RETIRED
22nd December 2009, 06:47 PM
STOP PRESS.
Ken W will be turning finials and lace bobbins.
Dunno what I will be doing but I am good at making a mess.:wink::D

jefferson
22nd December 2009, 08:16 PM
STOP PRESS.
Ken W will be turning finials and lace bobbins.
Dunno what I will be doing but I am good at making a mess.:wink::D

Yep, , you are good at making a mess. You always do. Pupil always cleans up after Master..... But when is my turn? (An open invitation for smart comments I know.... :):)). WWW, you can resist.

I've got another, how many ..... maybe a dozen cupboard doors for the shed to do between now and the weekend. :rolleyes: Just to keep your mess out. Never mind the kitchen.

New arrangements in the shed now. No forklift, but a pallet lifter to move almost everything around. And A/C, which I should have done some time ago.

And sorry, Tea Lady, the 3rd bedroom will not be lined, but you will have a new double bed. Cover up, we won't be watching. :wink:

And sorry also, Ern, not to have a timetable organised. The two pros charge, so we can't push them too hard. :D

The shed is full of Vicmarcs. Plus a small Delta. (Harry, the local Secretary tried to stall the VL300 without success today..... :D:D:D). Sadly, it appears we won't have a Stubby 750 to play on, but never mind. It is a nice lathe, Calm, and I will have one, one day...... We'll catch up soon no doubt.

I think we are planning to BBQ over at Harry and Ester's place (close) for tea on the Monday night. And those so inclined can play on a VB 36 earlier in the day.

I just gotta keep DJ's dog from mauling my old Jack Russell... :D

It will be great to have you all up. BellyUp was here a week back from Broken Hill. A great visit. Pics soon in the New Year.

Now what are we building? NO CHAIRS.

(I need a drum sander.)

tea lady
22nd December 2009, 08:19 PM
:cool: I've been given leave to attend all by myself. :D Will be driving up on the 28th and staying till the 31st. going back to Melbourne to have New Years Eve with friends and family. :cool:

I have a plan to make a Cricket. (Little three legged table) I will bring some practice pine and Miranti to muck up before maybe making one out of Calm's Blackwood. :cool: I reckon we can all have a go at making a leg. Doesn't matter if they are all different.:2tsup::D

Anyone else want a lift? Skew? :)

Can I bring my dog too?

powderpost
22nd December 2009, 08:54 PM
I would love a lift... please T.L.
Jim

tea lady
22nd December 2009, 08:55 PM
Jim:p

jefferson
22nd December 2009, 09:57 PM
Jim

Jim,

your main problem will be that you and only two other turners here "turn" the same as you. One of the locals (who won some Novice entries this year) plus . Old school types. Nice chisel work from the three of you (and great company).

I'd like to expand on that, but I'm buggered.

But I'll come down to Tullamarine and pick you and the wife up on the Sunday, but it will be tight.

No, it won't be tight. But it will mean I've left the shed to and that's a worry..... :rolleyes:

And Tea Lady, bring the dog. Ours sleep inside at night but watch out for DJ's. One has a disaffection for small dogs.

tea lady
22nd December 2009, 10:15 PM
And Tea Lady, bring the dog. Ours sleep inside at night but watch out for DJ's. One has a disaffection for small dogs.She knows DJ's dogs. She'll be right. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
22nd December 2009, 10:36 PM
And Tea Lady, bring the dog. Ours sleep inside at night but watch out for DJ's. One has a disaffection for small dogs.

She knows DJ's dogs. She'll be right. :2tsup:

Not so much a disaffection for small dogs but a disliking for dogs that growl at him :doh:

Do you want me to bring my Shortbed VL300?

tea lady
22nd December 2009, 10:39 PM
Not so much a disaffection for small dogs but a disliking for dogs that growl at him :doh:

She just doesn't like dogs that steal the tennis ball.:rolleyes::D

Calm
23rd December 2009, 10:41 PM

He has enough boat anchors - He has invited JC & KW to add a bit of class 2 the show now he needs a stubby 2 lift the equipment side of it a bit - Will c what i can do about that for him.:p:p:p:D:D:D

Cheers

jefferson
24th December 2009, 08:22 AM

Yes, please, DJ, if it's not too much of a problem. That will give us 3 big 'uns (Vicmarcs) plus Calm's Stubby. Plus a couple of minis.

We probably need to ask Dave to start the Stubby up today so we can turn on it Monday. It takes that long to wind up to turning speed..... :D:D:D

Calm
25th December 2009, 07:06 AM
Well the decision is made NO STUBBY 124962 - no i have been insulted enough by you lot - so the STUBBY 124963 can stay home in the shed -

i have picked out the slabs and will cut tomorrow into discs. (not bring trailer now) I am coming up Sunday staying the night and going to Torrumbarry Monday afternoon/night to spend the rest of the week with my kids (camping & water-skiing)

Should have enough blackwood to do the TL table and some platters or bowls. I will cut "under" 600 diameter so they can fit on the "little" lathes that Jeff has. Pieces up to 750mm will have to stay here and i can finish them on the STUBBY

KenW
25th December 2009, 10:42 AM
Should have enough blackwood to do the TL table and some platters or bowls. I will cut "under" 600 diameter so they can fit on the "little" lathes that Jeff has. Pieces up to 750mm will have to stay here and i can finish them on the STUBBY
David, you could always bring a larger diameter piece. One that could be turned later on a real lathe.

RETIRED
25th December 2009, 11:06 AM
David, you could always bring a larger diameter piece. One that could be turned later on a real lathe.This is true. We are using a VB36 on Monday I believe.:whistling2"

jefferson
25th December 2009, 11:16 AM
I gotta bite hard on this one..... What is it about bloody Stubby owners??

There is nothing wrong with Vicmarcs!!!!

Yes, the VB 36 will be "on" Monday.

And just for you Ken, I've saved a lathe for you. A crappy Delta. Have fun with the runout, changing belts and no chucks. :D:D

All the best for Xmas.

Ed Reiss
25th December 2009, 12:41 PM
David,:hmmm: hmmmmm...about those pics of the Stubby, kinda' looks like no turning at all has been done on it :no: ...just some shavings scattered about underneath from heaven knows where:doh:

So, whatcha' doing ...hoping to save wear and tear on it so it won't depreciate in value?:sad3::D

rsser
25th December 2009, 06:38 PM
Just for interest, Jeff has a VL300 with outboard turning capacity.

So what's the capacity of this?

jefferson
26th December 2009, 08:00 AM
Ern, not exactly sure what the outboard capacity is on the VL300. Probably 1 metre using the outboard attachment. DJ has gone that big I think using a "mobile" tool test.

The VB 36 has a similar problem, but we'll check it out tomorrow.

I guess the beauty of the Stubby is that you can turn inboard with tailstock up and do both sides together.

Not that tailstock support is a necessity. The Proserpine guys did a massive piece of turning a few years back - without tailstock support.

and Julie have arrived..... Lathe should be running soon. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
26th December 2009, 08:42 AM
wish I was coming :-
maybe next year?

Have a great time everybody

tea lady
26th December 2009, 11:03 AM
and Julie have arrived..... Lathe should be running soon. :2tsup::cool: No blow outs this time?:D Don't mess up the place to much before the rest of us get there.:p

wish I was coming :-
maybe next year?

Have a great time everybody:wave: Looks like we have to do it next year too already.:D

DJ’s Timber
26th December 2009, 08:04 PM
Well the decision is made NO STUBBY

Boo hoo, have a cry :weeping2:

Pieces up to 750mm will have to stay here and i can finish them on the STUBBY

Jeff's new VL175 should love that size :; or alternatively do outboard on the VL300 :2tsup:

Just for interest, Jeff has a VL300 with outboard turning capacity.

So what's the capacity of this?

Ern, not exactly sure what the outboard capacity is on the VL300. Probably 1 metre using the outboard attachment. DJ has gone that big I think using a "mobile" tool test.

As Jeff has said I've done some big pieces, one was a rectangular piece, approx 900mm x 600mm so that would have been over a metre on the diagonals I think :think:

rsser
26th December 2009, 08:15 PM
Yikes!

Need a private pilot's license for that.

Calm
26th December 2009, 08:26 PM
Boo hoo, have a cry :weeping2:

Jeff's new VL175 should love that size :; or alternatively do outboard on the VL300 :2tsup:

As Jeff has said I've done some big pieces, one was a rectangular piece, approx 900mm x 600mm so that would have been over a metre on the diagonals I think :think:

Guess who's laying in hospital bored and has a computer handy :p:p:D are we going to have to put up with this shyte for long :roll::rolleyes::D:p:p

jefferson
26th December 2009, 08:36 PM
Calm, settle, the VL 300 went outboard today, dunno 750mm + in the raw.

Dropped the ratio down to 1:1 and no worries. A few shakes until "we" found balance and Col and got the platter into a rough round.

Certainly not as convenient as the twin beds on the Stubby, but when will I ever turn over 600mm? Probably rarely.

Mess all over the floor. Early starters....... :D:D:D , humble as always... :wink::wink: Free lessons too. :)

I reckon we'll be knee deep in curlies by tomorrow arvo.

I hear DJ's doing fine. :2tsup::2tsup:

Pics soon.

Sawdust Maker
26th December 2009, 09:26 PM
sigh :cool:

Pat
26th December 2009, 09:34 PM
Nick, what's even worse, I mentioned this event to MBGitW and all she said was "So when are you going?"

I couldn't, could I? We are supposed to enjoy some time off together . . . Not me disappear 6 hours down the road for a few days playing . . .

tea lady
26th December 2009, 10:50 PM
Nick, what's even worse, I mentioned this event to MBGitW and all she said was "So when are you going?"

I couldn't, could I? We are supposed to enjoy some time off together . . . Not me disappear 6 hours down the road for a few days playing . . .:rolleyes: Yeah but she asked ........:D

Pat
26th December 2009, 11:02 PM
Jeff, is there room for one mad New South Welshman? I'll even sleep in the back of the shed of the back of my car. I'll pm you a phone number.