PDA

View Full Version : Need a new challenge?

tea lady
13th July 2009, 12:53 AM
Things are a bit boring and wintery at the mo. And it sbeen a while since we had a challenge, ...... So what should we do? :think: A group chess set. Might be the only way I ever get one completed.:rolleyes: Or a "little box" challenge? :cool:

I'm not sure we need all that voting and stuff though. I reckon it should be like a group WIP.:D Everyone can share what they have learned and how they did it.

So what do ya reackon? :elefant:

watson
13th July 2009, 01:01 AM
Wanna organise it.......like, come up with a set of rules????

mick61
13th July 2009, 06:10 PM
G`day I like the idea of a little box challenge Tea Lady Have you thought of any conditions like from a set size of timber showing pic of original piece then finished product.i.e 100x100x100 Red Gum ? Box with a finial box without finial With finial and spindle type base etc:D
Mick

tea lady
13th July 2009, 06:58 PM
:think: Maybe stipulate max size but not wood type. 100mm cubed seems a good size. Not too small, not to big. :shrug: I don't know if I even want to stipulate design or lid type. We could have a dozen different boxes. :cool: Although sometimes I apreciate someonne telling me exactly what I'm supposed to make so that I don't have to decide.:C Sometimes that is what takes the longest.:doh::rolleyes:

funkychicken
13th July 2009, 07:54 PM
I can arrange it:D I can also get 100x100mm hardwood or any other size

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th July 2009, 08:02 PM
Oooer! I wanna play!

Jefferson very kindly gave me some nice pieces of Congo Mahogany about 100mm³ and I've been undecided as to what to with 'em.

Serendipitous or what? :U

Sawdust Maker
13th July 2009, 08:55 PM
Oooer! I wanna play!

Jefferson very kindly gave me some nice pieces of Congo Mahogany about 100mm³ and I've been undecided as to what to with 'em.

I'll PM my address if you're still undecided :D

I might be able to find a bit of 100 x 100 x 100 fence post, so could prob join in. Not sure I could make anything out of it that would be worth taking a piccy of though :doh:

Ozkaban
13th July 2009, 09:30 PM
Sod it - I'm in. Dunno where I'll gte 100mm cubed timber from (none of the blanks i have match that, unless I go for a green lump... :think:

After all, somebody has to make up the numbers!

Cheers,
Dave

echnidna
13th July 2009, 09:42 PM
d'ya mean a box sized 100 x 100 x 100
or a box made from a volume of timber equal to 100 x 100 x 100

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th July 2009, 09:48 PM
Good question.

Hopefully the limits are on the starting bit of timber... it allows for more creativity.

kekemo
13th July 2009, 10:03 PM
Everyday is a challenge for me....
Think we should all try to finish that piece we keep putting to the side....
Doesn't anyone else have one of those pieces...???? :doh:

I'd be happy just taking picture of raw wood... & each day post a picture of that wood ... for 7 days... & lets see what we have in a week...????
No Pressure... Not sure... NOW LOOK..... WOW... competition.... :o
Well... I'm known for weird idea's.....LOL

Cheers Kekemo.....:2tsup:

mick61
13th July 2009, 10:48 PM
G`day I was thinking starting with 100m3 to start with as Skew said it allows for more creativity.:D

P.S. this Tea Lady`s idea I am just putting my two cents:wink:

tea lady
13th July 2009, 11:06 PM
d'ya mean a box sized 100 x 100 x 100
or a box made from a volume of timber equal to 100 x 100 x 100
:think: I reckon wood equivalent to that volume. Doesn;t have to be one bit or type. Even powderpost can play then. He only works with lots of little bits glued together. :D

:shrug: Well looks like we have a few players then. :D

How about it starting on 1st August, cos then its the last hoorah for winter. And you have a month to do it, so dead line is midnight 31st August. :cool:

Its not a comp, just a "turnalong", and everyone posts a WIP of some sort and tells us at least one thing they discovered from the project. And they especially tell us what went wrong and why,so that we can ALL learn from the mistakes. So we have pics of the wood you start with, the chucking method you used and jam chucks and all that. :2tsup: :think: :doh:And the finished box I guess. Ken Wraight can play too as long as he tells us what he did.:p And the mods, cos there ain't no winners. (Does ubeaut still touch lathes occasionally? :whistling: )

OK? :U So who's playing?

TTIT
13th July 2009, 11:08 PM
1 litre of wood or a 100mm square block - either way, I'm in :U

jefferson
14th July 2009, 01:29 AM
Oooer! I wanna play!

I wanna play too Andy, but be very careful with that expensive lump of cr#p Congo I gave you.

DJ and I have been working this arvo on a different piece of Congo and it sure doesn't like heat treatment ie Glow or Shellawax.

Tea Lady, please explain the rules again. Does it have to be out of one piece of 4 by 4 by 4 or just the equivalent?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th July 2009, 01:37 AM
DJ and I have been working this arvo on a different piece of Congo and it sure doesn't like heat treatment ie Glow or Shellawax.

Oh? Prone to checking with heat?

Calm
14th July 2009, 07:52 AM
So i could make a set of S&P grinders out of 50 x 50 x 200? any wood?

i think i like your idea AM

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
14th July 2009, 10:36 AM
Oh? Prone to checking with heat?

Checking wasn't the prob in fact no checking that I can see of, more the fact that there was a bumbling idiot on the end of the rag (me :B) going too hard to remove a few Glow lines and flexing the wood causing it to fly off the jam chuck :doh:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th July 2009, 04:39 PM
Checking wasn't the prob in fact no checking that I can see of, more the fact that there was a bumbling idiot on the end of the rag (me :B) going too hard to remove a few Glow lines and flexing the wood causing it to fly off the jam chuck :doh:

Ah. :) Nice to know it's not only me.

Thanks, DJ.

ElizaLeahy
14th July 2009, 05:41 PM
I'd like to play, but I've never made a lidded box. I love them, I drool over them, I'm scared to try!

I'll try - as long as no one laughs at my pathetic efforts!!!

I can't guarentee my size will be the same as yours. I'm going to use wood I have here!

tea lady
14th July 2009, 06:09 PM
I'd like to play, but I've never made a lidded box. I love them, I drool over them, I'm scared to try!

I'll try - as long as no one laughs at my pathetic efforts!!!

I can't guarentee my size will be the same as yours. I'm going to use wood I have here!The size doesn't have to be cubed, just equivalent volume. And the piece doesn't have to be better than anyone else's, just better than you could have done before. :cool:

Tea Lady, please explain the rules again. Does it have to be out of one piece of 4 by 4 by 4 or just the equivalent?Not 4 x 4 x 4, just the equivalent. And as mane lumps as you like if you are doing fillials and knobs and stuff. (What's the measurements of a 1000 ml of wood in an already round blank? :think: )

CheersOnly if yur S & P grinders are lidded boxes Calm.:rolleyes:

Frank&Earnest
14th July 2009, 06:53 PM
(What's the measurements of a 1000 ml of wood in an already round blank? :think: )

Diametre = square root of (1,273,236/length).
E.g. a cylindre of 100mm diametre would be 127.3 mm long.

Excellent idea TL, best wishes.

tea lady
14th July 2009, 07:31 PM
Diametre = square root of (1,273,236/length).
E.g. a cylindre of 100mm diametre would be 127.3 mm long.

Excellent idea TL, best wishes.:cool:

People who don't have their wood spinning to work on it could prolly play too.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th July 2009, 08:58 PM
Powderpost could make a 12" dia. lidded box from 1L of wood! :oo:

jefferson
14th July 2009, 09:13 PM

Cheers

Somehow I don't think Calm has enough blackwood to make identical grinders! :D:D:D

If we can talk Ken W, , Neil (the Ghost) and Jim Carroll to judge, we have a starting point.

We need a timeframe now, so get cracking Tea Lady.

DJ has already exploded one of my half-completed boxes and had a great catch today that almost made me weep with laughter. (I had to leave the shed, just to stop myself chuckling.) :D:D:D

A great recovery though with the S/P grinder. All looks very sweet. Two bases done, tops done tonight if I can get DJ out into the shed.

And I have had not one catch all day. :wink: Haven't done much turning though......

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th July 2009, 09:17 PM
If we can talk Ken W, , Neil (the Ghost) and Jim Carroll to judge, we have a starting point.

Judging? :oo: I'm not sure I want to play now. :p:D

Calm
14th July 2009, 09:36 PM

I reckon wood equivalent to that volume. Doesn;t have to be one bit or type. Even powderpost can play then. He only works with lots of little bits glued together.

Well looks like we have a few players then.

How about it starting on 1st August, cos then its the last hoorah for winter. And you have a month to do it, so dead line is midnight 31st August.

Its not a comp, just a "turnalong", and everyone posts a WIP of some sort and tells us at least one thing they discovered from the project. And they especially tell us what went wrong and why,so that we can ALL learn from the mistakes. So we have pics of the wood you start with, the chucking method you used and jam chucks and all that. And the finished box I guess. Ken Wraight can play too as long as he tells us what he did.:p And the mods, cos there ain't no winners. (Does ubeaut still touch lathes occasionally? )

OK? So who's playing?

Jeff i think your answer is here there are no judges.:doh:

But i cant find where it had to be a box, that is why i asked re -the S&P grinders.:?

Now i gotta make a box - wont be hard to be the best i ever made - cos i never made one before. :no:

Does it need a finial - spos might as well have a go at one of them too.:D:D

cheers

RETIRED
14th July 2009, 09:40 PM
Things are a bit boring and wintery at the mo. And it sbeen a while since we had a challenge, ...... So what should we do? :think: A group chess set. Might be the only way I ever get one completed.:rolleyes: Or a "little box" challenge? :cool:

I'm not sure we need all that voting and stuff though. I reckon it should be like a group WIP.:D Everyone can share what they have learned and how they did it.

So what do ya reackon? :elefant:Post no 1, David.

Calm
14th July 2009, 09:46 PM
Post no 1, David.

Sorry being divorced/single again i had forgotten that when the opposite sex says something like

"So what should we do? :think: A group chess set. Might be the only way I ever get one completed.:rolleyes: Or a "little box" challenge? :cool: "

it really is a definite instruction/rule/obligation of all males to follow.:doh::doh:

Yes i was wrong, it is my mistake, how could i have ever possibly doubted that.:D:D

Thanks for correcting my mistake

Cheers

jefferson
14th July 2009, 09:48 PM
Judging? :oo: I'm not sure I want to play now. :p:D

Andy (AKA Skew), I've seen your chisel work and you should have nothing to worry about. As Tea Lady said, it's all about putting your next-best piece on display.

Sure, some will turn nicer boxes than me, but I've got a low starting point. A nice little No. 10 box without inlays, finials etc. I'll keep posting my work and I hope you see some improvement!

(If Ken W. wants to join in, well, he's got to do something better than his last recent efforts:wink::wink::wink:). The bar for him is fairly high.

So if it's your first box, the judges should take that into account. A handicapping system. I'm on Box 7 or 8 I think, so my handicap should be (in golfing terms) around 20. Ken W. is on Scratch or even -2.

No pressure at all. Let's just challenge ourselves to do better.

And I want to judge the boxes by and Ken W. :D:D:D

powderpost
14th July 2009, 09:53 PM
Can I play too? Please? If I am allowed to play I will have to extract the digit. We leave for the UK on 14th August and will be away for 5 weeks. Gotta go because the tickets are paid for.. :( :)
Jim

Calm
14th July 2009, 10:00 PM
Can I play too? Please? If I am allowed to play I will have to extract the digit. We leave for the UK on 14th August and will be away for 5 weeks. Gotta go because the tickets are paid for..
Jim

"How about it starting on 1st August, cos then its the last hoorah for winter. And you have a month to do it, so dead line is midnight 31st August. :cool:"

Now i am back on target for understanding /reading between the lines (remember this is a womans ideas:o:o:roll:) you shouldnt start before the 1st.

Not sure what the penalties are:no::no: but i reckion if you dont tell she wont know so long as you dont post until August comes around:p:p:D:D

Be good to see what you come up with:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

tea lady
14th July 2009, 11:45 PM
:rolleyes: I put a start date as 1st August cos we are obviously flay out till then doing all those "round toit" jobs.:p Still thinking out loud a bit too I guess. I just thought it was a bit pointless having voting and all that. But what would be good is a proper Crit session. Like following the judges around actually hearing what they are saying rather than just given the numbers at the end. :shrug: Maybe you don;t even have to just make one. If you do one and you can see already how you would change it to make the form nicer or make the process easier, then do another one. But we want to see them all. See the whole process. Maybe even the working drawings and thoughts about what you wanted to achieve in the first place. :shrug: And did I mention it was a little box challenge? :whistling:

Do people want voting too? :? It does add a certain excitement to the whole thing. :think: But I just envisaged at more as a sharing of ideas. We can still sell them for charity somehow. :cool:.

ElizaLeahy
15th July 2009, 08:37 PM
I like this because it makes me get me finger out and finally do it. As I said, I love the little things, but they scare me!

Zoe is in Sydney until Sunday, tomorrow I can play on the lathe all day, I don't even have to cook dinner if I don't want to! So, I'll experiment.

I'm not sure how to put a finial of a different type of wood onto a box. BUT no one tell me! I want to work it out by myself!

:)

Calm
15th July 2009, 09:01 PM
:rolleyes:Do people want voting too? :? It does add a certain excitement to the whole thing. :think: But I just envisaged at more as a sharing of ideas. We can still sell them for charity somehow. :cool:.

TL i think it has been said before that voting from Photos and seeing the "in life" peice is totally different unless one person takes all the photo's (can you tell who cant photoshop yet)

As for getting "critiqued" after being privledged to witness the judging at my house for the Charity comp and i am certain the "makers" are not ready to hear the comments - and i am certain the judges are not going to make those comments either. So i am not sure you will acheive anything. (mind you my daughter thought the judges were very brutal on her dad after that day)

Remember we have the Critique thread where you can post your work and stand back brace yourself and take it full on if you want to give people the oportunity to be totally honest in their thoughts. (not sure if the Admin want to give another thread that level of freedom.

Cheers

Calm
15th July 2009, 09:04 PM
Just had a brainwave on MY BOX for the comp - reckon it raises the bar for the rest of you - even Ken wouldnt have done one of these.

(i promise i wont start until August)

Can i have a brief definition of what constitutes a box please

Cheers

watson
15th July 2009, 09:10 PM
To quote AlexS......i think I got it right......a box is just a space surrounded by wood.

Sawdust Maker
15th July 2009, 09:33 PM
:rolleyes: I put a start date as 1st August cos we are obviously flay out till then doing all those "round toit" jobs.:p Still thinking out loud a bit too I guess. I just thought it was a bit pointless having voting and all that. But what would be good is a proper Crit session. Like following the judges around actually hearing what they are saying rather than just given the numbers at the end. :shrug: Maybe you don;t even have to just make one. If you do one and you can see already how you would change it to make the form nicer or make the process easier, then do another one. But we want to see them all. See the whole process. Maybe even the working drawings and thoughts about what you wanted to achieve in the first place. :shrug: And did I mention it was a little box challenge? :whistling:

Do people want voting too? :? It does add a certain excitement to the whole thing. :think: But I just envisaged at more as a sharing of ideas. We can still sell them for charity somehow. :cool:.

Voting I don't care about, but I'm an adult (well sometimes) and I think I'd like the warts and all comments. Now I think I'll post my contribution to the fundraising on the comments list
And I haven't tried my hand at a box (let alone a finial) yet

PS: can I take my proposed piece out of the rain - I don't want to be accused of starting early!

Rookie
15th July 2009, 09:35 PM
You guys scare me a bit because I've seen all your work...but I'm going to have a crack at it.
So the month of August, a litre of wood, box with a lid. Should be easy :C

mick61
15th July 2009, 11:34 PM
G`day the first of august sounds good to me. A box to me is anything with a lid so design options are endless.
Mick:D

Here are some examples of what I call a box

tea lady
16th July 2009, 12:02 AM
Can I play too? Please? If I am allowed to play I will have to extract the digit. We leave for the UK on 14th August and will be away for 5 weeks. Gotta go because the tickets are paid for.. :( :)
Jim:D It would be quicker if you limited yourself to 1 bit of wood.:rolleyes:

Voting I don't care about, but I'm an adult (well sometimes) and I think I'd like the warts and all comments. Now I think I'll post my contribution to the fundraising on the comments list
And I haven't tried my hand at a box (let alone a finial) yet

PS: can I take my proposed piece out of the rain - I don't want to be accused of starting early!OK! We are allowed to gather our bit of wood before August 1st. :think: Maybe even glue some bits together.:cool:

A box to me is anything with a lid so design options are endless.
Mick:D
I think that is my definition too. The proportions can be pushed to the limit with a microscopic space inside.....all OK in my book.

Warts and all coments- :think: In a way this is easier on people than not recieving any votes. At least you might learn what people liked and didn't like, and peoples thoughts on what to do next time. No on learns anything from the outright best piece getting all the votes like people knew it would, yet even the stodgiest piece in any of the comps I've seen had something that I liked and thought was interesting. I know some people did go out of their way to give a comment on every piece sometimes. I guess that is also heard, cos especially beginners might feel that they don't know anything so can't coment. Perhaps we all also need practice commenting and discussing aspects of our "art" and design. Also having an opportunity to try and articulate to people what you were aiming for will be helpful I believe. I know it is something I have always struggled with.

ElizaLeahy
16th July 2009, 09:38 AM
To quote AlexS......i think I got it right......a box is just a space surrounded by wood.

Since I started turning (January) my place has quickly filled up with wood. No matter where I am, I'm surrounded by it.

OH NO!

I'm *IN* the box!

KenW
17th July 2009, 09:32 PM
Jim
Is your injured finger up to playing yet?

ElizaLeahy
18th July 2009, 10:11 AM
For this challenge - do we have to use one piece of wood for the box, or can we have a contrasting lid?

I have other questions, I just can't think of them at the moment :)

ElizaLeahy
18th July 2009, 10:42 AM
Oh I remember another one. Do we just do one? Or can we do lots?

Ed Reiss
18th July 2009, 11:50 AM
Somehow I don't think Calm has enough blackwood to make identical grinders! :D:D:D

...that's because David foolishly sent me the matching Blackwood chunk:doh: and a piece of Redgum and a small bottle of Glow !!!

Mucho thanks David...I don't care what the rest of the mob say about you and the Stubby, your OK :U

lubbing5cherubs
18th July 2009, 01:49 PM
Can I join to please
Toni

tea lady
18th July 2009, 03:33 PM
For this challenge - do we have to use one piece of wood for the box, or can we have a contrasting lid?

I have other questions, I just can't think of them at the moment :)You can use as many bits as you want, of any sort that you want.:cool:

Oh I remember another one. Do we just do one? Or can we do lots?And you can make lots. And even practice.:D

...that's because David foolishly sent me the matching Blackwood chunk:doh: and a piece of Redgum and a small bottle of Glow !!!

Mucho thanks David...I don't care what the rest of the mob say about you and the Stubby, your OK :UYes, but are you gonna make a box or two?:rolleyes:

tea lady
18th July 2009, 03:40 PM
Can I join to please
ToniOf course. :U

I've had further thoughts in my flu brain befuddled state. (:sick: ) Since this is a "turn-along" rather than a competition, we can actually start posting about what we are doing from the 1st of August. That way we can get feed back as we go, and stuff. Maybe we can each have a thread of our own (Maybe in a little temporary sub-forum or something,) where our progress can be followed. (What do ya reacon Watson or or anyone watching? :? That's not too hard is it? :think:)

echnidna
18th July 2009, 04:05 PM
ok then

is this a turning challenge

or a box making challenge

or is it a free for all?

tea lady
18th July 2009, 04:38 PM
ok then

is this a turning challenge

or a box making challenge

or is it a free for all?A turned box challenge.:cool: ( I think I was toying with ANY box being OK, but I think not now. So sorry all you flat wood workers. Or should that be "still wood" workers. This one's for turning.:) ) (Anyway. wasn't there a "box challenge last year.? Vague memory.:hmm: )

Tony Morton
18th July 2009, 05:12 PM
Hi All

From the coments so far this seems like a interesting group participation with woodies from all over all with different ideas coming together for this event if sucessful I can see it becoming a regular forum event with different themes each couple of months. Looking through my wood pile I can find plenty of 75 square 100 seems a harder to find but I have plenty of uninteresting in 100mm so we will see what happends on the first of Aug.

Cheers Tony

tea lady
18th July 2009, 07:34 PM
Hi All
Looking through my wood pile I can find plenty of 75 square 100 seems a harder to find but I have plenty of uninteresting in 100mm so we will see what happens on the first of Aug.

Cheers Tony100mm cubed is only the total amount allowed, so you can have added bits for fillials and knobs and legs and stuff. And I expect no one will really be measuring. :rolleyes: I think I will have either uninteresting boxes with interesting fillials, or interesting box with uninteresting filials. :think: Something space ship shaped I reckon. (Maybe I've been spending too much time with Small Boy? Or just releasing my "inner small boy" ? :D )

Calm
18th July 2009, 08:39 PM
So when this is all over and we meet at TL's house for the BBQ (it is her challenge after all) who is going to bring the Chocolate ripple cake (cos i think it's a bit much for TL to make that as well as host.:D:oo:)

Another chance to check out the "PURPLE shed.:2tsup::2tsup::D:D:rolleyes:

Cheers

tea lady
18th July 2009, 09:04 PM
So when this is all over and we meet at TL's house for the BBQ (it is her challenge after all) who is going to bring the Chocolate ripple cake (cos i think it's a bit much for TL to make that as well as host.:D:oo:)

Another chance to check out the "PURPLE shed.:2tsup::2tsup::D:D:rolleyes:

Cheers:oo: :think: I'll have to think about it. And ask Hubby if its alright that a whole lot of blokes come round to eat Chocolate ripple cake. :D Cos I ain't got that many tools to look at or play with, and inspecting GREY sheds doesn't take that long.:doh: I guess I could cook a snag or two, if I can find any amongst you lot.:p

ElizaLeahy
18th July 2009, 09:26 PM
Awwww, not fair, I can't get to TL house

:C

Ed Reiss
18th July 2009, 10:38 PM
You can use as many bits as you want, of any sort that you want.:cool:

And you can make lots. And even practice.:D

Yes, but are you gonna make a box or two?:rolleyes:

....hmmmm, don't think the Redgum would be good for a box as I've been told that it likes to move a lot, but might be able to come up with something or 'other:)

:oo: :think: I'll have to think about it. And ask Hubby if its alright that a whole lot of blokes come round to eat Chocolate ripple cake. :D Cos I ain't got that many tools to look at or play with, and inspecting GREY sheds doesn't take that long.:doh: I guess I could cook a snag or two, if I can find any amongst you lot.:p

Is'nt GREY some kind of shade of purple :?

Awwww, not fair, I can't get to TL house

:C

...me neither !!!! :~

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th July 2009, 10:42 PM
....hmmmm, don't think the Redgum would be good for a box as I've been told that it likes to move a lot, but might be able to come up with something or 'other:)

Ackershully, you're only partly right. Yes, it likes to move. But who's to say that a lid can't be designed in such a way as to cater for movement? :;

Sawdust Maker
18th July 2009, 11:05 PM
:oo: :think: ... I guess I could cook a snag or two, if I can find any amongst you lot.:p

cannibalism has been illegal for sometime I believe :o

tea lady
19th July 2009, 12:59 AM
cannibalism has been illegal for sometime I believe :oOnly if a snag eats a snag. :D

Ed Reiss
19th July 2009, 01:33 AM
Ackershully, you're only partly right. Yes, it likes to move. But who's to say that a lid can't be designed in such a way as to cater for movement? :;

hmmmm...something to think about....a floating lid....hmmmmm

TL ...ain't the choco ripple enough :? resorting to "snags" might be a bit much :o

Frank&Earnest
19th July 2009, 11:19 AM
A turned box challenge.:cool: ( I think I was toying with ANY box being OK, but I think not now. So sorry all you flat wood workers. Or should that be "still wood" workers. This one's for turning.:) ) (Anyway. wasn't there a "box challenge last year.? Vague memory.:hmm: )

Yes, there was. To be fair, though, what you are proposing is not a "challenge" as it was first developed by George (he has been banned again, what did he do this time?) and Funky and I tried to keep alive. The way this idea is developing is just like declaring the subject for the monthly "show and tell' section of the club meeting. Which is excellent, one step forward towards making this forum a virtual club, but has nothing to do with sharing an experience with a specific timber.

tea lady
19th July 2009, 12:11 PM
Yes, there was. To be fair, though, what you are proposing is not a "challenge" as it was first developed by George (he has been banned again, what did he do this time?) and Funky and I tried to keep alive. The way this idea is developing is just like declaring the subject for the monthly "show and tell' section of the club meeting. Which is excellent, one step forward towards making this forum a virtual club, but has nothing to do with sharing an experience with a specific timber.

:2tsup: Yes, I called it a "turnalong" at some places, kinda like a knitting thing where everyone knits the same pattern and compares and shares. Seen it on some other blogs that I've come across. :D I didn't want to do the same timber thing cos I don't have access to a big pile of timbrer to send around, and I thought just everyone doing boxes would be unified enough. Also people can turn as many boxes as they have time for, and develpoe an idea. Am thinking that finials are nearly a whole separate "challenge" though.:rolleyes:

Sebastiaan56
20th July 2009, 08:07 AM
ooooh, ooooh I wanna play too!

tea lady
20th July 2009, 01:03 PM
ooooh, ooooh I wanna play too!:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
20th July 2009, 02:35 PM
only if a snag eats a snag. :d

lol

Broda
20th July 2009, 06:50 PM
I might be in that if I can find some wood around:(

bear in mind, i'v never done one of these before

RETIRED
20th July 2009, 06:54 PM
I give in. Where is Lake Cathie?:)

Calm
20th July 2009, 07:21 PM
here (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Lake+Cathie&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=)

:google2::google:

RETIRED
20th July 2009, 07:33 PM
Ta.

tea lady
20th July 2009, 08:51 PM
I might be in that if I can find some wood around:(

bear in mind, i'v never done one of these before I haven't either. I've only kinda half done one in some horrid Miranti just to have a go in something I didn't mind wasting. Was thinking of flocking it as the wood has no redeeming features. :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th July 2009, 09:09 PM
And there's nothing to stop you from turning a practice box beforehand, just so's you know what to do... or more importantly, what not to do. :U

Here's one I prepared earlier today... (I had the day off. :woot:) A piece of Jefferson's Congo Mahogany with a River Redgum finial. I certainly managed to do something I'm hoping doesn't happen come August. :doh: Who can pick it first? :B

Sawdust Maker
20th July 2009, 09:11 PM

Hey
If I win the August draw maybe you can teach me there? Looks sorta pretty

Sawdust Maker
20th July 2009, 09:12 PM
And there's nothing to stop you from turning a practice box beforehand, just so's you know what to do... or more importantly, what not to do. :U

Here's one I prepared earlier today... (I had the day off. :woot:) A piece of Jefferson's Congo Mahogany with a River Redgum finial. I certainly managed to do something I'm hoping doesn't happen come August. :doh: Who can pick it first? :B

photography?

Broda
20th July 2009, 09:19 PM
"I give in. Where is Lake Cathie?:)"

here (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Lake+Cathie&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/smilie%20signs/google2.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/smilie%20signs/google.gif

YEP, thats the one

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th July 2009, 09:25 PM
If I win the August draw maybe you can teach me there? Looks sorta pretty

If ever invites you up there to practice some outboard turning, it'd probably involve starting his boat... :D

David Mitchell
20th July 2009, 10:07 PM

It is larger than the specie:doh::)(:fingerscrossed:
:2tsup:

RETIRED
20th July 2009, 10:11 PM
Lid a bit thin?

Calm
20th July 2009, 10:12 PM
Crack in teh foot andy - too hot with the sandpaper aye??

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th July 2009, 10:54 PM
It is larger than the specie

Actually, it's a tad undersized. The blank started at 9cm³ :)

Crack in teh foot andy - too hot with the sandpaper aye??

Bingo! Not the sandpaper though, the tip of the finial and the rim of the lid are a bit battered too. I'd just finished turning it and was carrying it in from the shed...

...when I dropped it on the concrete path. :doh: Being spindle turned, the foot fell to pieces. CA to the rescue, but it just ain't the same.

tea lady
21st July 2009, 12:26 AM
Hey Skew, What tool did you use to go under the rim on the body for the lid to sit on? :? Specially shaped scraper? One of those tools with different shaped thingies to go on the end?

Looks like our Box Challenge/Turnalong has started a little early. :cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st July 2009, 01:34 AM
Hey Skew, What tool did you use to go under the rim on the body for the lid to sit on? :? Specially shaped scraper? One of those tools with different shaped thingies to go on the end?

It's a highly technical tool, called a bent nail in a stick. :- One day I may buy a "custom" tool to do the job, but until I win Tatts the nail will have to do.

I do have a homemade swan-neck tool, but I find it to awkward for use in confined spaces. It works well when undercutting the rims of larger bowls though.

Looks like our Box Challenge/Turnalong has started a little early. :cool:

Early? Nup. What I mainly turn are goblets and "gobletty" lidded boxes. Although I've been doing a few bowls of late... Still, if you think for even one minute that I'm not going to turn one until the turnalong, then you better think again! :U

Actually, I'd planned that particular one to be a WIP for Eliza on hot-melt gluing. But the camera played up... although I didn't know it at the time. Pity, as there would've been a shot of it unbroken.

tea lady
21st July 2009, 12:25 PM
Nail on a stick eh? Where's the pics then? Any particular nail? A concrete nail? Or any nail? Out with it man:p

ElizaLeahy
21st July 2009, 01:05 PM
Skew, similar thing happened to me. I didn't catch the base before it flew off the lathe - got a chip out of one side, and a gouge out of the other!

I gave it to Zoe as a "bowl for M&M's"

And after I had got the inside of it smooth and shiny with no tool marks!!!

I'm still not sure what size things are suppose to be. I'm math challenged.

If I start with a piece cut square, how big should it be on each side???

I just finished one in camphor laurel with a red cedar finial. Found out what I really need is a good pair of calipers - or make the lid where the finial sits so that it doesn't matter if doesn't fit exactly!

My challenge to myself, however, is my real weak point - the inside of the bowl shapes, getting the width of the wall right, and getting the sanding right.

tea lady
21st July 2009, 01:24 PM
Do you have one of these yet Eliza? Yet another thing to buy. :doh: And they can be pretty Exxy.:C
http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/labs/cupol/vernier/caliper.gif

ElizaLeahy
21st July 2009, 01:35 PM
No, that's what I need. So far I've been eye balling it! I think I've been lucky, holding a ruler over the top of the piece really doesn't do it :)

RETIRED
21st July 2009, 03:35 PM
Do you have one of these yet Eliza? Yet another thing to buy. :doh: And they can be pretty Exxy.:C
http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/labs/cupol/vernier/caliper.gifand don't buy plastic ones. :rolleyes:

ElizaLeahy
21st July 2009, 04:16 PM
Or pasta ones?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st July 2009, 06:47 PM
Really, you need a set of those vernier gauges and either a set of spring calipers (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144939&product_id=1107453189) or, better still, a set of double-ended calipers. (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144939&product_id=1107465930)

(We like spending your money, Eliza. :p)

Nail on a stick eh? Where's the pics then? Any particular nail? A concrete nail? Or any nail? Out with it man:p

:think: Concrete nails are the best for this sort of thing. They hold their edge longer between grinds.

Me, I'm lazy. I'll pick up the nearest nail that's 4" long or over and use that. Concrete, gal, bright or rusty. They all work. I don't mind the extra trips to the grinder and the nail's a throwaway at the end of the job.

FWIW, I drive the nail into the wood first, clamp the last 1/2" in a vice and bend it over with a hammer. Then grind it to shape... a flat on each side, a flat on top and lastly the bevel. (Sounds obvious, but change the order of any of the steps and it makes the next steps more difficult!)

Resharpening is just switching on the grinder, switching off the grinder, and then a quick touch of the nail to the wheel while it's winding down. Otherwise it takes too much off.

weisyboy
21st July 2009, 07:23 PM
just got back on teh lathe today after a long break (6 mounths).

im in. :2tsup:

jefferson
21st July 2009, 11:58 PM
Carl, you may be in along with the rest of us, but others are stalking....

I'm hoping that Ken W. will grace us with an offering. I might even try to talk the Axe Wielder into turning something small for a change..... :wink::wink: Must test the bugger with something to challenge him! (He's probably in bed so I can afford to be cheeky, at least until morning. )

A half-closed right eye here today (infection) so no turning today. Minor, minor surgery tomorrow, (I am such a woos), so won't be back on the lathe for a few days. New glasses arriving soon too, so watch out. :D

The mini-chisels have also arrived, most are all razor sharp. Good wood at the ready. Only problem is my skill level. So Tea Lady, can I cheat and get Skew or Ken W. to do a nice finial for me?

I won't fess up unless they do.....

tea lady
22nd July 2009, 12:05 AM
Carl, you may be in along with the rest of us, but others are stalking....

I'm hoping that Ken W. will grace us with an offering. I might even try to talk the Axe Wielder into turning something small for a change..... :wink::wink: Must test the bugger with something to challenge him! (He's probably in bed so I can afford to be cheeky, at least until morning. ):oo: You fool. Don't you know the Ax wielder never sleeps.:rolleyes:

A half-closed right eye here today (infection) so no turning today. Minor, minor surgery tomorrow, (I am such a woos), so won't be back on the lathe for a few days. New glasses arriving soon too, so watch out. :D

The mini-chisels have also arrived, most are all razor sharp. Good wood at the ready. Only problem is my skill level. So Tea Lady, can I cheat and get Skew or Ken W. to do a nice finial for me? I really need some opin jaws but they are too expencive. So will have to make do with big tools AND big chucks. :saddest:

I won't fess up unless they do.....:p

ElizaLeahy
22nd July 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm ordering my mini chisels tomorrow!

Oh, please! Let me help with finials!!!! They are about the only thing I can do well!!! lol