PDA

View Full Version : Jeff's Two Days At DJ's Joint

DJ’s Timber
14th July 2009, 01:49 AM
Day one is now over, we managed to turn a Salt grinder and a lidded box amongst a few things and a few hiccups.

Grinder is from some recycled Redgum and the lidded box is a bit of that wood that KenW reckons is crappy, Congo Mahogany.

I did most of the work with Jeff doing the roughing in and spigots but this will change tomorrow as I'll be making him do most of the work :;

Pic of grinder is pretty crappy, couldn't be bothered at this stage to set up a better shot :roll:

110703 110704 110705 110706

Calm
14th July 2009, 07:47 AM
When i'm with Jeff i dont seem to have trouble getting him to do the work:D:wink::cool:

Was going to do a grinder here but now will have to come up with another idea.

Cheers

Rum Pig
14th July 2009, 08:25 AM
Some nice pieces there well done.:2tsup::2tsup:

artme
14th July 2009, 09:39 AM
Bloody terrific work!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Love the lidded bowl.

Jeff seems to be a bit of a social butterfly.:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

ElizaLeahy
14th July 2009, 09:52 AM
I like the lidded box, I don't see anything wrong with that wood!

jefferson
14th July 2009, 11:40 AM
Bloody terrific work!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Love the lidded bowl.

Jeff seems to be a bit of a social butterfly.:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

Little Grasshopper and now a butterfly as well! :oo:

RETIRED
14th July 2009, 11:44 AM
Get out in the shed!! Stop playing in here.

Ed Reiss
14th July 2009, 11:48 AM
...so Jeff, just sittin' around having tea, huh? :D

Mighty fine looking box...the black band adds to it :2tsup:

KenW
14th July 2009, 12:01 PM
DJ, box looks good. Don't let Jeff suck you into doing all the work, he knows how to make a box. If you don't get him in front of the lathe he will forget what we have taught him.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th July 2009, 05:02 PM
The detail certainly changes the whole character of the box. :2tsup: I assume that everything above the detail is the lid? Hmmm... no pics of inside the box or lid... :~

Ken, I reckon Jefferson just likes the opportunity to see that other turners have "oops" moments too! :U

DJ’s Timber
15th July 2009, 12:15 AM
Late start today, Jeff slept in, even when the smoke alarm went off due to me overcooking some bacon.

Any way, we talked about different tool techniques and also went through the 40 or so chisels and gouges that Jeff bought with him, crikey he has more than me :o. Very tempted to slip a few in the drawer when he isn't looking :sssh:

Ended up turning a matching pair of mills for a mate of Jeff's which is the main reason for the visit. Plus made a spot for Jeff's VL100 on the bench for the next 5 or 6mths :roll:

jefferson
15th July 2009, 12:26 AM
Late start today, Jeff slept in, even when the smoke alarm went off due to me overcooking some bacon.

Any way, we talked about different tool techniques and also went through the 40 or so chisels and gouges that Jeff bought with him, crikey he has more than me :o. Very tempted to slip a few in the drawer when he isn't looking :sssh:

Ended up turning a matching pair of mills for a mate of Jeff's which is the main reason for the visit. Plus made a spot for Jeff's VL100 on the bench for the next 5 or 6mths :roll:

He may be sitting close, but I must respond to this one.

DJ kept me up all night turning and drinking, so I needed a late start. Yes, I heard the fire alarm but went back to sleep.

As for my chisels, yes I do have too many but DJ will steal one at his peril. :D

I sharpened a few gouges today on the Tormek, shaved my arm and I think DJ was impressed. We had two 10mm bowl gouges running in tandem today, one on the job, the other on the Tormek. It sure pays to stay sharp.

A rest tomorrow I hope down at Tooradin with .......

DJ’s Timber
15th July 2009, 12:33 AM
The detail certainly changes the whole character of the box. :2tsup: I assume that everything above the detail is the lid? Hmmm... no pics of inside the box or lid... :~

Here ya go Handy Andy, pics of lid and box separately.

Warts and all, tiny hole in the bottom as it isn't finished yet, plan is to insert a base out of some of the darker stuff that Jeff has or did I have an oopsy :doh:

110801 110802 110803 110804

Rum Pig
15th July 2009, 08:43 AM
Nice one DJ :2tsup::2tsup:
You could flock the inside to cover the hole ( I do not know if that is the correct term for that furry stuff you glue on. flocking or something:?:?)
Nice set of grinders the recipient should be proud to have them.:2tsup:

Good to see you mob had a good time:2tsup::2tsup:

RETIRED
15th July 2009, 09:27 AM
Nice one DJ :2tsup::2tsup:
You could flock the inside to cover the hole.

Good to see you mob had a good time:2tsup::2tsup:I think he has already flocked it.:D

Rum Pig
15th July 2009, 10:56 AM
I think he has already flocked it.:D
:roflmao::rofl::laughing1:

wheelinround
15th July 2009, 06:39 PM
:o Two days and al we see is a tiny lidded box and salt shakers :2tsup::2tsup:

well done gents must have been a lot of talking n drinking happening to

tea lady
15th July 2009, 06:52 PM
:o Two days and al we see is a tiny lidded box and salt shakers :2tsup::2tsup:

well done gents must have been a lot of talking n drinking happening toYer! We don't see the ash tray or the recycle bin.:rolleyes:

dai sensei
15th July 2009, 07:44 PM
Glad to see you guys had a great time.

Events like this make me wish I still lived in Melb.

Rookie
15th July 2009, 09:41 PM
What's the difference between DJ's Wood and DJ's Timber... or did I miss a few posts.

And if I answered my own question, then it was rhetorical

Calm
15th July 2009, 09:57 PM
What's the difference between DJ's Wood and DJ's Timber... or did I miss a few posts.

And if I answered my own question, then it was rhetorical

Wood goes on the fire and timber you use to build with:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p

So on this basis all those redgum slabs must have split/warped/moved and are now firewood:p:p:p

DJ’s Timber
15th July 2009, 11:24 PM
Had to go to work today, so Jeff went and visited whilst I tolled away earning a living :roll:

Anyway we packed all of Jeff's tools away tonight ( he thinks he has anyway :;) ready to load into his car in the morning and then we'll load my milling gear up on my yoot and trailer, as I'll be heading up to Calm's place for a few days to mill some rails for his cattle yard and some slabs as well.

So whilst we were packing we did a quick tippe top, couldn't quite get the balance right, we think it needs a slightly longer stem and a smidgen fatter as well. Ball is about 1 1/4" to give you an idea of size.

110853 110854 110855

Nothing really, one is as a regular whilst the other is as an Admin.

Just having a break from administrating for a while is all.

Wood goes on the fire and timber you use to build with:D:D:p

So on this basis all those redgum slabs must have split/warped/moved and are now firewood:p:p:p

You'll keep for now, I'll fix you up over the next few days while I'm at your joint :q :p :U

KenW
16th July 2009, 07:10 PM
DJ, I gave Jeff a drawing for Tippy Tops, takes all the guess work out of making them.
If you want a copy let me know.

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2009, 07:12 PM
DJ, I gave Jeff a drawing for Tippy Tops, takes all the guess work out of making them.
If you want a copy let me know.

Yes please :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
16th July 2009, 07:28 PM
tippy tops, when you get the drawings you will see anyway - but you don't hollow out the whole thing, just to the middle of the ball.

You guys sound like you had fun. What is the black on the lid? Just a painted bead or is it a different wood?

The salt and pepper... how do you know which is which? Might have to paint on them in big white letters "Salt" and "Pepper" ;)

jefferson
16th July 2009, 07:39 PM
Two supposedly grown men spent the best part of an evening and 1/2 slab of cans but we couldn't get it right! :(

And that was using the Vermec cheating tool for a perfectly round "top". We do have the drawings now - thanks Ken W - and will try again soon.

As for the grinders, DJ has these little pressed steel thingos for all of the alphabet. He simply presses an S or P on the top for the lid.

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2009, 07:47 PM
tippy tops, when you get the drawings you will see anyway - but you don't hollow out the whole thing, just to the middle of the ball.

You guys sound like you had fun. What is the black on the lid? Just a painted bead or is it a different wood?

The salt and pepper... how do you know which is which? Might have to paint on them in big white letters "Salt" and "Pepper" ;)

Yes we only hollowed a small amount out but we also figured that it may have also been the timber as well as it was a bit of Cooktown Ironwood and it is a very heavy timber :doh:

The black is a friction burn, load the rag with a small amount of shellwax and apply a heap of pressure, so that it'll start smoking, mind you you do need to control it otherwise it'll look bad and expect to get hot fingers too :o

As for the grinders, they have a letter S or P pressed into the top to identify them :;

Some images in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=42577) and this one (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=42603), to show what I mean :2tsup:

KenW
17th July 2009, 07:09 PM
Yes please :2tsup:
DJ, send me your email address so I can send drawing to you.