PDA

View Full Version : One good turn deserves another

ElizaLeahy
14th July 2009, 09:56 AM
Actually, it's pretty pathetic showing these after what I've seen in the forum lately. But I've decided that I like tops, and I'm going to make all sorts.

I turn them during the day, Zoe plays with them at night. She was trying to get all of the ones I turned yesterday spinning at the same time, but they kept bumping into each other.

You will notice a tippy top - I've turned three. While all three will turn on either side, only one of them actually flips. But the white one - it looks like a dancing mushroom, so we have decided to call them that.

You might see a little bit of Muffet the very cold hairless cat. She was very interested in all the spinning things!

And when they drop to the floor, Gem picks them up and gives them to us. Very handy she is.

Ozkaban
14th July 2009, 10:29 AM
nice work Eliza. Like the idea of the tippy top - one of those where I accept that it works, but can't quite figure out how...

Lots of nice designs in there.

Cheers,
dave

ElizaLeahy
14th July 2009, 11:25 AM
If we knew how the tippy top worked then we could adjust it to work every time.

Ed Reiss
14th July 2009, 11:41 AM
....their not pathetic at all Eliza :no: neat woods, nicely turned, fun to play with...what more could one want :cool:

hughie
14th July 2009, 11:55 AM
This might be of some use for you Eliza

http://www.chakajo.com/index_files/The-Fingertip-Top-&-Spinning-Vessel.pdf

artme
14th July 2009, 02:46 PM
Nice work Eliza. Variety - they say - is the spice of life.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Does Zoe have nothing better to do with her time?:D:p

ElizaLeahy
14th July 2009, 02:59 PM
Does Zoe have nothing better to do with her time?:D:p

I don't know what you mean. Top Tester is a VERY important job!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th July 2009, 05:56 PM
:doh: I just remembered I was supposed to give a tippe-top to... ermmm... someone. :B Maybe Jefferson? I think?

Nice variety, Eliza. And you're dead right about the tippe-tops. I suspect a major part of the key to success is "luck." :rolleyes:

jefferson
15th July 2009, 07:14 PM
Andy, yep, it was me. If you can mate...... :2tsup:

My head doctor wants some more tops from me too - he does a lot of work with kids and the tops help break the ice. Another worthy cause and they don't take too long at all.

ElizaLeahy
15th July 2009, 08:42 PM
I turned up 6 little ones this morning for Zoe to take to her new family in Sydney (discovered a half sister she didn't know about - and she has 4 kids). I didn't time it, but I think it takes about 5 minutes to turn a little one, and polish it, which probably takes half the time up!

I've done one where I drilled a hole in the middle and put a different wood though - it's a great way to use up the "rounds" you get when you use a nova chuck. The stems is Tassie Oak - yes, dowling from Bunnings. Would love to use something exotic - like ebony - but have to be realistic!

Maybe when I win lotto :)

In the mean time, got any "rounds" you don't want? ;)

kdm
15th July 2009, 08:49 PM
1 in 3 working tippe-tops is about what I've managed too. From what I have read, friction is what makes them work and I have found that polishing them too much doesn't help at all!! Other than that it all seems to be random!!

thefixer
15th July 2009, 08:53 PM

I haven't even got a round tuit yet.:D

Enfield Guy
15th July 2009, 10:49 PM
Well done Elisa. All look great to me. Good colour and forms.

Sawdust Maker
15th July 2009, 10:56 PM
nice stuff
I reckon that tassie oak dyed black might look like ebony

might have to do a couple of tops for my son's therapist and see what he thinks, the therapist, you dolts, my son would play with the pen blanks.
hmm on second thoughts, I'd better check the toy box:doh:

derekh
19th July 2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Eliza

I came across this from my Bodger website and thought you may be interested: YouTube - Treewright makes a Spinning Top

cheers
Derek

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th July 2009, 01:20 AM

Don't turn all of your off-cut spigots into tops, Eliza!

Now that you've started making small boxes, you'll find that they're really handy to hot-melt glue onto the bottom of bits of wood that'd otherwise be too small to use on the lathe... :U

ElizaLeahy
19th July 2009, 02:37 PM
Don't turn all of your off-cut spigots into tops, Eliza!

Now that you've started making small boxes, you'll find that they're really handy to hot-melt glue onto the bottom of bits of wood that'd otherwise be too small to use on the lathe... :U

Ohhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Hot glue you say? Is that strong enough to hold against the twisting motion of the lathe cut?

now I have to get hot glue gun! My shopping list just keeps growing and growing! How on earth can I ever thank you?

:((

ElizaLeahy
19th July 2009, 02:40 PM
Derek - I love his lathe! And that is one big chisel!

Pat
19th July 2009, 03:07 PM
Eliza, my Debbie says to go to the $2 shop and get one. Don't worry about bunnies etc. Also Spotlight or most craft shops will have them.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th July 2009, 05:41 PM
Hot glue you say? Is that strong enough to hold against the twisting motion of the lathe cut?

:yes: You can't just "get stuck in" to the wood, but it holds well enough that you can turn it.

I'll probably be doing my turnalong box that way, so you'll soon see pix of how effective it can be. (and of any disasters, too!)

now I have to get hot glue gun! My shopping list just keeps growing and growing! How on earth can I ever thank you?

:U Welcome to the world of woodturning! :roll:

jefferson
20th July 2009, 12:33 AM
Good one Andy,

I bought a VL300 long bed a few years back and % cost between lathe and accessories is probably 50-50.

I now want a Stubby, short bed, swivel head. Not the new bench model, but one custom made for me and my boxes. I sure loved turning on Ken W's Stubby (never used I might add).

So who wants a long bed VL300?

DJ’s Timber
20th July 2009, 10:21 AM
So who wants a long bed VL300?

Hang on a tick here, you told me last week you'd never get rid of the VL300 but if your offering, I'll take it off your hands :U, it can join its little brother in my shed :U, what :o you want me to give you some money for it as well, oh all right then I'll see what change I have sitting in my Yoot console :roll: :q

jefferson
20th July 2009, 10:46 AM
Hang on a tick here, you told me last week you'd never get rid of the VL300 but if your offering, I'll take it off your hands :U, it can join its little brother in my shed :U, what :o you want me to give you some money for it as well, oh all right then I'll see what change I have sitting in my Yoot console :roll: :q

Tell you what, DJ, I'll swap the VL for the ENTIRE UTE, not just the change on the dash. :D

ElizaLeahy
20th July 2009, 11:58 AM
:jacked:

Not that I mind :)

Derek - I made one! I think it's cedar?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th July 2009, 04:21 PM
:2tsup: Spin up alright?

Seeing as I had today off :woot: I decided to have a play in the shed and sneak some practice in on lidded boxes...

... and thought I'd make a WIP about using hot-melt glue to show you.

Sadly, it seems that although the camera batteries were charged enough to not give me a "flat battery" report and to seemingly power the flash, they weren't charged enough to power the flash properly. So, all I've got for my troubles is a lot of dark, murky photos even photoshop can't fix. :~ Aren't digital cameras wonderful? [mutter, mutter, trade it in for my old SLR back in an instant.]

Oh... and I've got the finished box! :U