PDA

View Full Version : TopSaver - from Benchworks

Lyle
15th July 2009, 05:33 PM
This product is supposed to be a Rust Remover, Lubricant, Surface Sealant and Conditioner for meta.
I haven't found a product review so has anyone tried it.
I have an old woodfast X-150 with steel bed (not cast) which has some surface rust. Will this product be OK to use on a lathe bed? What about hand tools, like turning chisels etc?
I am buying some on spec, so if no-one replies I'll do a review later.

wally peat
16th July 2009, 03:22 PM
Lyle, this product was reviewed in issue 145 of Australian Woodworker. (that's the one before the issue that is currently on the stands). The review was extremely positive, which has led to a big spike in demand, and an apparent shortage of the product in some stores. My local tool shop fella told me the reveiwer was not associated with the product, but liked it enough to write a report and submit it to the magazine. Hence the unpreparedness by the supplier for the increased level of interest.

If you have some and give it a run, I'm sure plenty of people on this forum would like to hear a second opinion.

bsrlee
17th July 2009, 12:15 AM
I bought some a couple of years ago at the Sydney WWW Show. Actually I bought both the 'Top Saver' kit and the multi purpose kit that has blade cleaners etc, so far I've only used the Top Saver kit.

I had some rust start on the C.I. table of my bandsaw because I left a pair of rubberised gripper gloves sitting on it for a week or two - bad idea. I just followed the instructions -spray, scrub, wipe, spray - and the rust came off pretty easy, and then stayed off until I used to bandsaw again, when I had to do a touch up where the wood & saw dust scrubbed the stuff off the table. I have also used it on my Jet table saw with similar results - I have sweat that makes things rust, plus my machinery is in a garage with 'running water' - when it rains heavily the run off goes thru the garage instead of down the drain.

So for me, Top Saver is a winner, specially at removing surface rust and keeping it away. I am currently experimenting with 'Silverglide' as a rust preventative, but it is not a remover.

Lyle
17th July 2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have some on order and got a phone call saying it'll be a few weeks coming into stock.
When I get it I'll endeavour to do a review including photos.
I have an old Woodfast X-150 lathe that has rust on the bed, also like a lot of others my shed is not hermetically sealed against the weather or humidity so "ll terst it on some hand tools too.
Again thanks for the replies and I'll let you know how it goes.