PDA

View Full Version : Bolt fixing CCA treated Hwd

capedcrusader
14th July 2004, 04:30 PM
Hello All
Im replacing termite eaten top wall plates with hardwood and bolting lengths together/reinforcing the wall corners with mild steel brackets. I bought F14 roughsawn framing hwd some of which turned out to be CCA treated spotted gum which caused surface rust on mechanically zinc coated bolts within 1 month and has produced white powdery **** on hotdippedgalvanised bolts even after having coated the buggers with grease. I want what im doing to be permanent ie:to last until I die at least so i was wondering if anyone has any experience with bolting CCA timber / general suggestions. I thought of using stainless steel bolts but this would cause a galvanic reaction with the mild steel brackets.
Thanks for any advice.

jackiew
14th July 2004, 05:19 PM
might be wrong here ( if I am someone will correct me :D ) but I thought that you had to use galvanized fixings with CCA timber ... ooops just saw that you'd tried that as well ?

interesting how the censor let the f word get through :eek:

TOMARTOM
14th July 2004, 05:21 PM
I think Sachs Robertson recommend an epoxy coated screw to minimise corrosion/reaction to the treated timber

regards
tony

ozwinner
14th July 2004, 05:55 PM
might be wrong here ( if I am someone will correct me :D ) but I thought that you had to use galvanized fixings with CCA timber ... ooops just saw that you'd tried that as well ?

interesting how the censor let the f word get through :eek:
I thought that too, yet it caught out . :D

Al

RETIRED
14th July 2004, 06:29 PM
Fixed now. :D

ozwinner
14th July 2004, 06:32 PM
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/wink/thumb.gif

Theva
14th July 2004, 06:38 PM
Caped,

Gal bolts are the norm for CCA treated wood. There are epoxy coated screws but the sizes are smaller, up to 14g.

If you want to be sure to be sure then painting the bolts is a better option than greasing or, if you plan to live really really long then consider SS bolts.

Well done .

Regards,

Theva