PDA

View Full Version : Second box thing

ElizaLeahy
16th July 2009, 05:32 PM
The body is camphor laurel. The grain doesn't line up quite as well as it did in the first box, because I made a mistake and had to relevel and lost 1/8 or whatever it was of an inch.

The foot is some really rotten spalted stuff. Very soft, I could have carved it with a spoon. But it was the only piece I had that was the right size. So I decided (stupidly as it turned out) to make it black. Please don't tell me that it should be longer and slimmer - read what I said about it being the only piece I had the right size, and that it was rotten, first.

The finial is something that use to be white, no idea, might be pine. It's black now.

Making wood black is more trouble then it's worth. You put on a coat, it raises the grain, you sand, the black goes away in places, you put on a coat, and repeat and repeat.

In the end I polished it as I would a pen, with superglue and boiled linseed oil. I figured that the rotten stuff would probably need supergluing anyway! The box bit I just used EEE and Glow.

Not sure how I feel about this one. I look at the little one and I still giggle in delight ("Oh look! A BOX!!!) I think this one was too hard.

Oh yeah, and the lid has a crack in it. DOH! I probably should have given up when the crack appeared and started something else.

The photo with the cat in it is just there because Licorice wanted to be in the photo.

eisbaer
16th July 2009, 06:08 PM
I think it looks great :)

If you're having trouble making timber black, sell a vital organ and buy some african ebony. Or get some solomon ebony and put it into a box with an ammonia soaked rag and it'll go black.

eisbaer
16th July 2009, 06:10 PM
love how the cat is giving your box evil looks too :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th July 2009, 06:20 PM
The foot and the finial look top notch! :2tsup:

The box could've been bigger though... :spyme:

Sawdust Maker
16th July 2009, 06:23 PM
look ok to me and the cat is looking at it as though there is a mouse in it :wink:

well ok what Skew said

PS Eliza welcome to the 1000 club

ElizaLeahy
16th July 2009, 06:30 PM
I think it looks great :)

If you're having trouble making timber black, sell a vital organ and buy some african ebony. Or get some solomon ebony and put it into a box with an ammonia soaked rag and it'll go black.

What's solomon ebony and where do I get it? Real ebony oooh I bought a pen's worth once, and would love to get more - when I win lotto...

The foot and the finial look top notch! :2tsup:

The box could've been bigger though... :spyme:

You are a naughty boy!

:mad3:

(but it's worth it just so we can use these icons!)

ElizaLeahy
16th July 2009, 06:31 PM
look ok to me and the cat is looking at it as though there is a mouse in it :wink:

well ok what Skew said

PS Eliza welcome to the 1000 club

Good grief, I didn't even notice! Is that a record? 1000 posts in under 7 months?

edit: I had forgotten I had joined in 2006 when I was thinking about making a harp... I thought I joined at the end of Jan this year when I got my lathe!

:)

eisbaer
16th July 2009, 07:11 PM
eliza you can get solomon ebony from sitco (not sure of the website). They were at the show and probably will be there in november also. They are based in brisbane too. I got as much as i could carry at the show. It starts brown but goes black pretty easily.

ElizaLeahy
16th July 2009, 07:19 PM
Guess who I've been on the phone to? And I'm going to their shop next Thursday (when I have money next!)

Sounds like a nice bloke. I asked if I could take my camera and take photos of what he has in store and he said yes. They are moving to Moorooka in August - I might offer to help... I'm sure I can fit a lot of timber in my little car if I put the back seat down...

~ innocent ~

ElizaLeahy
16th July 2009, 07:20 PM
I just re-read what you said. Be where in November? What have I missed!

artme
16th July 2009, 09:27 PM
Looking good. :):):)
I agree with Skew's remark about the body needing to be bigger.

ElizaLeahy
16th July 2009, 09:44 PM
Looking good. :):):)
I agree with Skew's remark about the body needing to be bigger.

How do I make a piece of wood bigger???

:compress: no, that would make it smaller..

Of course, maybe body building! :wlift:

KevM
16th July 2009, 09:53 PM
I just re-read what you said. Be where in November? What have I missed!

I believe eisbaer may have been referring to the Hands-On Expo (http://www.handsonexpo.com.au/brisbane/shows/woodworking-show/).

Frank&Earnest
16th July 2009, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=ElizaLeahy;997550] Real ebony oooh I bought a pen's worth once, and would love to get more - when I win lotto...
QUOTE]

They say that with apple and India ink you can hardly tell the difference...:wink:

tea lady
17th July 2009, 12:20 AM
:D Like how Licorice is giving it the death stare. The box has obviously been taking up too much of your time.:rolleyes: I hope you are not practicing before the challenge. (And I won't be going out to the shed tommorow to rearrange my wood either. :whistling: ) Good second box. :cool:

Texian
17th July 2009, 08:27 AM
Nice cat!

eisbaer
17th July 2009, 08:32 AM
yep that's the show i'm talking about :) i'm sure the sitco guys would be there for that one given how local they are. Eliza when did they say they were moving?

ElizaLeahy
17th July 2009, 10:05 AM
They aren't moving far. If you tied a string around my house, they are moving about the same distance in the other direction!

1st August they are moving to Moorooka.

Ozkaban
17th July 2009, 11:50 AM
The finial is something that use to be white, no idea, might be pine. It's black now.

My style of wood identification :2tsup:

The photo with the cat in it is just there because Licorice wanted to be in the photo.
*Cat's thought bubble* hmmm... liquorice!

Really like this one. Not fair that you're getting in all this practice - I'm gonna be left behind in this challenge, big time :C

Cheers,
Dave

eisbaer
17th July 2009, 12:34 PM
i'm glad cause moorooka is closer to me :) it's on the way to carbatec too so that drive is gonna get more expensive.