Cliff Rogers
16th July 2009, 11:07 PM
http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/threepointsteady.pdf

Has anybody (besides TEEJAY) got one?

How is it?

I think I want one.

RETIRED
16th July 2009, 11:15 PM
Depends on what you want it for. Yes i have used one.

Cliff Rogers
17th July 2009, 08:24 AM
I have some old fence posts that I'd like to turn roughly round between centres, put a chuck foot on the bottom & the mount them in a chuck & hollow them out to make vases or large 'weed pots' out of them.

The base & the neck would be the only parts that would be properly round so I'm thinking I could hold the neck with the steady while I drilled & hollowed it.

What did you think of it ?

RETIRED
17th July 2009, 08:46 AM
For what I use a steady for, (that is stopping whip in long posts )they were unsuitable as the contact surface is too narrow and hard and grooved the wood so badly that you couldn't even sand out the compression marks.

I have seen them used on vases as you describe but never hung around long enough to see if it did the same thing.

Cliff Rogers
17th July 2009, 09:39 AM
...the contact surface is too narrow and hard and grooved the wood so badly that you couldn't even sand out the compression marks.....
Not even with the angle grinder? :D

Thanks, I also didn't hang around long enough at the Brissy show to see the demo.

ElizaLeahy
17th July 2009, 10:26 AM
Off Topic, sorry - but Cliff, do you get to Brisbane often? Long way from home, so if you do, stop in and have a cuppa, you would need it after the long drive.

Just let me know so I can pick up the saw dust! heehee

:U

rsser
17th July 2009, 11:45 AM
Why not knock up your own Cliff? Plenty of designs out there.

The Vermec has the flip top which is neat but you pay for the privilege.

Most of the home-made versions use roller blade wheels which don't compress the timber much if at all.

Cliff Rogers
17th July 2009, 11:56 AM
Off Topic, sorry - but Cliff, do you get to Brisbane often? Long way from home, so if you do, stop in and have a cuppa, you would need it after the long drive.

Just let me know so I can pick up the saw dust! heehee

:U
Once or twice a year, my kids (all grown up now) live in Brissy.
I don't drive, I fly.
The last time I drove to Brissy was about 20 years ago & that was form Townsville.

Cliff Rogers
17th July 2009, 11:57 AM
Why not knock up your own Cliff? Plenty of designs out there.

The Vermec has the flip top which is neat but you pay for the privilege.

Most of the home-made versions use roller blade wheels which don't compress the timber much if at all.
Had thought about it but the number of half finished projects in the shed is getting out of hand. :D

Tony Morton
17th July 2009, 10:33 PM
If the bearings leave ruts in work piece try using skate board wheels I bought 4 for $17 and made bowl steady using the forth wheel.

Cheers Tony

Cliff Rogers
17th July 2009, 11:51 PM
Where did you add the picture Tony? :?

Tony Morton
18th July 2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry Cliff

Having trouble resizing photo will try again tonight.
Cheers Tony

Tony Morton
18th July 2009, 05:24 PM
Hi Cliff

Hope this works.

Cheers Tony

Cliff Rogers
18th July 2009, 11:48 PM
Beauty, thanks.

Paul39
19th July 2009, 08:04 AM
Very nice, Tony.

What is the thickness of the C shaped piece?

I am thinking that making the wheel support a closed O would make it more stable.

Scooting the steady to the head end, mounting the piece, turning a place for the steady wheels to run on, then putting the steady in position, does not seem too inconvenient to me.

What are the advantages to having an open side?

Thanks in advance for comments.

Tony Morton
19th July 2009, 05:01 PM
Hi Paul

The steady is made out of 10mm steel I was going to add a piece about 25mmwide at 90degrees for strength but I havent found it needed it. Regards the opening I find it easier to put in place with the gap I've used it on 39 inch by 30mm croquet mallet handles 600long weedpots held in chuck and deep vessels it can be put in place without loosing true centre, and I use it when drilling through for table lamps.

Cheers Tony