PDA

View Full Version : Stringing you along

Wood Borer
15th July 2004, 02:53 PM
You get a length of non-stretch string and tie it around the earth’s equator so it is tight. You cut the string and add an additional 6 feet so now the string is a bit slack.

You get heaps of people in boats and on land etc to all lift the slack string an equal distance above the equator so the string is now tight. How far above the earth would the string now be?

- Wood Borer

craigb
15th July 2004, 02:59 PM
Geez couldn't you have at least made it metric? :D

silentC
15th July 2004, 03:29 PM
286mm

Wood Borer
15th July 2004, 03:37 PM
Near enough Silent.

Common sense says if would be bugger all but the maths shows that no matter what size the original circumference was, adding 6 feet will increase the radius by approximately 291.062559926458190054134626455654 mm.

It doesn't seem right but do the maths yourself.

This applies equally to a tennis ball or the earth.

- Wood Borer

Eastie
15th July 2004, 03:39 PM
29.1 cm

silentC
15th July 2004, 03:40 PM
It is weird isn't it? I worked it on 1.8m instead of 6' which is why my answer was slightly different to yours.

Eastie
15th July 2004, 03:42 PM
Come on Darren, it's 1.8288m - close enogh isn't good enough (I hope I'm close :D).

I was scratching my head at the end but realised I was still in dia, not rad.

silentC
15th July 2004, 03:46 PM
Come on Darren, it's 1.8288m - close enogh isn't good enough (I hope I'm close :D).

I was scratching my head at the end but realised I was still in dia, not rad.
Yes, I know, not really good enough. I was wondering if I should ask at what interval the people were spaced and whether they were holding the string with one hand or two, because the answer would be different for a polygon :D

Zed
15th July 2004, 04:37 PM
nerds!

no wonder you get beaten up. aint the world got enough geeks already ???

plesae come to my place - I am the wallet inspector and need to check yours.

:D

silentC
15th July 2004, 04:44 PM
Now Zeddy boy, you'll never get to be a splendid one to behold with that attitude. There's no need to be intimidated by our intellectual powers, there's room in the playpen for all of our brutish cousins.

:cool:

Wood Borer
15th July 2004, 04:48 PM
I edited my answer to be a little more accurate - 291.062559926458190054134626455654 mm

- Wood Borer (apprentice Nerd)

Eastie
15th July 2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks for making the answer a bit clearer Borer. I was starting to think I was wrong with my calculation - it was a terrrible feeling and I hope I never have to feel like that ever again. As it turns out I was farily close (note the Scotish accent in the speeling there), which I'll put up with :D :rolleyes: :D

Ian007
15th July 2004, 06:58 PM
and most of you blokes get paid for doing this stuff all day????? :confused:
What is the world coming to? :eek:
Just as well i'm not your boss

I would be broke from the lack of work getting done.

:)

Ivan in Oz
15th July 2004, 07:40 PM
What value did you give pi?

Count

Wood Borer
15th July 2004, 08:17 PM

I used the calculator in Windows 98 - is that wise? :confused:

- Wood Borer (Still at work since 8:00AM, only get paid from 8:30AM to 5:00PM!! :mad: but I don't mind doing my bit including working through lunch)

craigb
16th July 2004, 12:20 PM
What value did you give pi?

Count

Well you can't Beta Pi :)

echnidna
16th July 2004, 07:08 PM
The amount of slack depends on whether its high tide or low tide in the oceans that the string goes across.

spbookie
16th July 2004, 08:02 PM
Being a smartalec you will have to factor in that the earth is an oblate spheriod so it will depend on the exact shape under the string.

Of course as we all know the earth is flat or we would fall off so the whole question is moot anyway ;) .

Charles

Zed
16th July 2004, 09:23 PM
ok nerds, what about the mountains and valleys then ? what about the trees and the poor starving african refuges that will have to move to make room for your little experiment? didnt think of that did ya ? what about the extremisits that will think your pocket protecting foolisheness is mocking allah and therefore a legitimate target ? what about the poor iti or croat or greek that "does his back" - didnt think of that did ya - medicare and workers comp for the rest of his life.....

what about el nino caused by the techo rush and temp rise ? didnt you cause that with your foolish calculations in the first place you uber sissys ? wont el nino make your string wet and change charactersistics ? wont you chicken arms be incapable of sustaining manual effort of lifting string ? let alone quoting monty pyton or star trek ? a nerd built string cannot cross a island let alone a continent or ocean. you cant even draw a line thats straight longer than a slide rule can ya ? blouse-men!

what about trees and buildings arent they tall and thick ? so much for accuracy. back to mummys bedroom with your phantom comics fellas. back to the chess club to deliver a stinging monologue on the relative merits of plastic frames and thick glasses.

what planet are you from ? not earth, right ? hang on you wouldnt survive without on your own - how would you plant food and procreate ? "planet of the nerds" hah!!!!!!

one more thing - you're all pussy boys with spaniels, retrievers, hamsters and cats.

Theres more but i've gotta go (SWMBO calls) - i feel better now. :D

craigb
16th July 2004, 09:38 PM
Zed, now be honest, you've stopped taking your medication again haven't you?

Nurse, more tincture of zappa please he's getting away from us :D

silentC
19th July 2004, 10:13 AM
one more thing - you're all pussy boys with spaniels, retrievers, hamsters and cats

Now listen here, you muffin making ape, you can call me a nerd, you can call me a geek. For your information, I don't wear glasses. BUT I will not have my name associated with spaniels. Cat's either.

Zed
21st July 2004, 10:03 AM
chihuahua's, gerbil's then. you probably think "the block" is a good "lifestyle" show too. no doubt you purchase ozito too.

(actually I shouldnt take the outa ya for the ozito - i recently bought a $15 4" angle grinder from the reject shop to attach my triton orbital attachment too... it looks like a cheap and nasty makita - but it spins and that will do for now).

silentC
21st July 2004, 10:13 AM
The Block! Give me a break. Bunch of shirt lifters mate. Actually, I've taken a bit of a liking to Ground Force. Saw it last night for the first time. If you don't know why, tune in next week.

What's an ozito? I only buy blue stuff monkey boy.

Zed
21st July 2004, 10:16 AM
she's blond, wears tight tops and has a hankering for bad art right ? the brunette aint bad either....

FYI - my $15 grinder is a makita clone - takes about 3 secs to reacch full revs - which is good for a orbital i suppose....

silentC
21st July 2004, 10:32 AM
takes about 3 secs to reacch full revs

So it's soft start then...