PDA

View Full Version : Challenge box making August 2009.

tea lady
13th July 2009, 12:53 AM
Things are a bit boring and wintery at the mo. And it sbeen a while since we had a challenge, ...... So what should we do? :think: A group chess set. Might be the only way I ever get one completed.:rolleyes: Or a "little box" challenge? :cool:

I'm not sure we need all that voting and stuff though. I reckon it should be like a group WIP.:D Everyone can share what they have learned and how they did it.

So what do ya reackon? :elefant:

tea lady
13th July 2009, 11:06 PM
d'ya mean a box sized 100 x 100 x 100
or a box made from a volume of timber equal to 100 x 100 x 100
:think: I reckon wood equivalent to that volume. Doesn;t have to be one bit or type. Even powderpost can play then. He only works with lots of little bits glued together. :D

:shrug: Well looks like we have a few players then. :D

How about it starting on 1st August, cos then its the last hoorah for winter. And you have a month to do it, so dead line is midnight 31st August. :cool:

Its not a comp, just a "turnalong", and everyone posts a WIP of some sort and tells us at least one thing they discovered from the project. And they especially tell us what went wrong and why,so that we can ALL learn from the mistakes. So we have pics of the wood you start with, the chucking method you used and jam chucks and all that. :2tsup: :think: :doh:And the finished box I guess. Ken Wraight can play too as long as he tells us what he did.:p And the mods, cos there ain't no winners. (Does ubeaut still touch lathes occasionally? :whistling: )

OK? :U So who's playing?

tea lady
18th July 2009, 03:40 PM
Can I join to please
ToniOf course. :U

I've had further thoughts in my flu brain befuddled state. (:sick: ) Since this is a "turn-along" rather than a competition, we can actually start posting about what we are doing from the 1st of August. That way we can get feed back as we go, and stuff. Maybe we can each have a thread of our own (Maybe in a little temporary sub-forum or something,) where our progress can be followed. (What do ya reacon Watson or or anyone watching? :? That's not too hard is it? :think:)

tea lady
18th July 2009, 04:38 PM
A turned box challenge.:cool: ( I think I was toying with ANY box being OK, but I think not now. So sorry all you flat wood workers. Or should that be "still wood" workers. This one's for turning.:) ) (Anyway. wasn't there a "box challenge last year.? Vague memory.:hmm: )

tea lady
18th July 2009, 07:34 PM
100mm cubed is only the total amount allowed, so you can have added bits for fillials and knobs and legs and stuff. And I expect no one will really be measuring. :rolleyes: I think I will have either uninteresting boxes with interesting fillials, or interesting box with uninteresting filials. :think: Something space ship shaped I reckon. (Maybe I've been spending too much time with Small Boy? Or just releasing my "inner small boy" ? :D )

RETIRED
19th July 2009, 04:40 PM
This is reserved for entrants WIP not chit chat. Will collate TL posts later into some semblance of rules for this one.

RETIRED
20th July 2009, 12:05 AM
Here are the rules as approved by Tea Lady.

The box shall use no more than 100 mm3 of timber or in the case of segmented no bigger than 100 mm3.

Timber choice and construction (segmented or solid) is free.

Finials or stands are not included in the size and may be used for decoration.

There will be no judging except by critique by peers as it is hoped that this will be a challenge for those who have not turned a box before, or more experienced people trying something new.

WIP photos and tools used are requested with an explanation of what you were trying to achieve, any problems you had and how you overcame them.

nalmo
21st July 2009, 08:19 PM
Can we please make the volume a little bit bigger. 100mm3 is about 4.7mmx4.7mmx4.7mm, and I haven't yet got any tools small enough, unless of course you meant 100mm cubed (100x100x100).

Sorry, but my high school maths teacher was very pedantic about such things and it rubbed off. (Most other teachers thought I should become a barrister, cos I was always arguing and they said you might as well get paid for it.)

echnidna
21st July 2009, 08:38 PM
they mean 100 x 100 x 100 total volume

tea lady
21st July 2009, 08:51 PM
they mean 100 x 100 x 100 total volume:doh:Yes! sorry. We mean 100x100x100mm.:D 1 liter of wood.:cool: But can be a different proportion to that. Doesn't have to be a cube.

RETIRED
21st July 2009, 10:19 PM
Can we please make the volume a little bit bigger. 100mm3 is about 4.7mmx4.7mmx4.7mm, and I haven't yet got any tools small enough, unless of course you meant 100mm cubed (100x100x100).

Sorry, but my high school maths teacher was very pedantic about such things and it rubbed off. (Most other teachers thought I should become a barrister, cos I was always arguing and they said you might as well get paid for it.)I haven't got a widdle free on my puter.

Nearly ready to agree with your teachers Alan.:whistling2::D

tea lady
21st July 2009, 11:43 PM
Ahhhh, could be round also .....like
10cm in height and 10 cm in diameter.:)I think a liter of wood can be something like 100mm diam x 120ish mm high. I'm sure a maths pedant will be along shortly.:p

echnidna
22nd July 2009, 05:07 PM
why not just say 1000 cubic centimetres of timber

ElizaLeahy
22nd July 2009, 05:15 PM
Because I'm confused enough!!!

:C

tea lady
22nd July 2009, 05:59 PM
why not just say 1000 cubic centimetres of timber
:cool: OK! A 1000 cubic centimeters of wood.:D

echnidna
22nd July 2009, 06:14 PM
and fer the old pharts who find metric confusing 64 cubic inches

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2009, 06:31 PM
Or for the older darksiders, 4.2/1000 of a hogshead, 24/1000 of a furkin or 7 (and a smidge) gills. :rolleyes:

ElizaLeahy
22nd July 2009, 06:46 PM
:wtcslap:

RETIRED
22nd July 2009, 07:21 PM
Or for the older darksiders, 4.2/1000 of a hogshead, 24/1000 of a furkin or 7 (and a smidge) gills. :rolleyes:What is it in furlongs?:wink:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2009, 07:41 PM
That's called an RCH. :rolleyes:

ElizaLeahy
24th July 2009, 03:43 PM
I just noticed that it says "not more then..."

So I don't have to worry - I can make it smaller? I thought I was going to have to go buy more wood :)

tea lady
24th July 2009, 05:34 PM
I just noticed that it says "not more then..."

So I don't have to worry - I can make it smaller? I thought I was going to have to go buy more wood :) Well! If you want AN EXCUSE.:D

Frank&Earnest
25th July 2009, 06:36 PM
This is reserved for entrants WIP not chit chat. Will collate TL posts later into some semblance of rules for this one.

What is it in furlongs?:wink:

:rolleyes::D

This is what it looks like :U

ElizaLeahy
25th July 2009, 06:47 PM
That yellow measure - I have exactly the same one! ;)

blue3.3
27th July 2009, 07:21 PM
:rolleyes::D

This is what it looks like :U
thanks my head was starting to hurt just reading that lot:?:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
28th July 2009, 12:39 PM
Hey! You aren't suppose to start yet!

Ed Reiss
28th July 2009, 09:28 PM
Whoops....OK, don't look at it until the first :q:D

tea lady
28th July 2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Ed

Set up looks too clinical where is the dust I do see some shavings is this real.

Cheers Tony:pi: You are right. He must have vacuumed. Definite code violation. :fineprint:

:rolleyes: Only joking. those pics could be in a book. :U

Rum Pig
29th July 2009, 12:00 AM
I have just bought a DVD on box making so if I get time I will have a go but no promise's
I am yet to make a box so no laughing:no:
Better start watching that DVD, now what do I have on at work tomorrow :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th July 2009, 09:28 AM
Ummm... there's no reason we can post only one box, is there?

It's not a challenge as such, so there's no "unfairness" about doing multiple boxes?

tea lady
30th July 2009, 06:48 PM

It's not a challenge as such, so there's no "unfairness" about doing multiple boxes?
:2tsup: Multiple away. It would be good to see a design evolve through the month.... and beyond even.:cool:

I've had a fun idea! You thought my first finials were busy. :D

JackJack
30th July 2009, 11:55 PM
Having been the proud owner of a lathe for a total of 4 months. I'm keen to be a part of this monumental challenge!

I have a strategy see... my bit of wood is going to be as close to 100x100x100 as I can find - then I'll see just how big (or little) the finished item is.

Well, I'm off to find inspiration.

To your good health,
Nick

tea lady
31st July 2009, 12:27 AM
Having been the proud owner of a lathe for a total of 4 months. I'm keen to be a part of this monumental challenge!

I have a strategy see... my bit of wood is going to be as close to 100x100x100 as I can find - then I'll see just how big (or little) the finished item is.

Well, I'm off to find inspiration.

To your good health,
Nick:2tsup: Happy to have you aboard. Look forward to seeing what you, and everyone else comes up with. :U

One more sleep. :wave: :D

tea lady
31st July 2009, 12:28 AM
:think: Maybe two more sleeps. :shrug: although I guess you could start at midnight tomorrow.:D

Dommo
31st July 2009, 12:43 AM
i reckon there will be a few midnight turnings:sleep1:, like jackjack had a lathe for a month or 2 so there will be many trials AND errors:D

Ed Reiss
31st July 2009, 03:42 AM
...two more for us poor unfortunates on the other side of the dateline:C

Welcome to the club Dommo and Jackjack:U

Dommo
31st July 2009, 09:05 AM
...two more for us poor unfortunates on the other side of the dateline:C

Welcome to the club Dommo and Jackjack:U

Thanks for the welcome Ed :)

on a positive though, you get too see what we have done and have the "extra" night to touch up your boxes:;

RETIRED
31st July 2009, 10:59 AM
As I am going to be away for the start of this so I have moved Eds WIP to a new thread.

I would ask that all challengers start their own thread with their WIP.

Please use the forums photo manager not an off site one.

Good turning everyone and have fun.

ElizaLeahy
31st July 2009, 05:11 PM
I am totally not sure of the fairness of using patterns in books!!!!

But if you are going to do that, then I'm going to glean as much as I can offline!!!!

~pout~

tea lady
31st July 2009, 05:43 PM
I am totally not sure of the fairness of using patterns in books!!!!

But if you are going to do that, then I'm going to glean as much as I can offline!!!!

~pout~Patterns are OK I reckon. This is mainly a learning exercise anyway. And after following the recipe the first time, some other idea always comes up.:cool:

Frank&Earnest
31st July 2009, 05:58 PM
Haven't 'we all already agreed that originality is in the eye of the beholder?

I have already prepared the acknowledgments for my future boxes:

#1 : Ken Wraight, Bocce, Archimedes

#2 : Cindy Drozda, Faberge', dinosaurs (yes, the egg came before the chicken)

#3 : , Alice in Wonderland's mushrooms :U

#4 : Me. You think up the others. :U

ElizaLeahy
1st August 2009, 10:00 AM
My first mushroom exploded, hmmm, must have been a wonderland mushroom! ;)

But that's my first try again - another mushroom. I really like the mushrooms. I can sell them to dope heads to hide their dope in!

heehee

Calm
5th August 2009, 11:51 AM
TL i just got home from work for the past 5 days (been to Keiwa again impersonating Ernie)

Now to plead my case for a time extension - i missed the start of the month - i am presently lacking motivation - its cold in the shed - i havent found the peice of wood i need, although i have an idea of what i intended to do

So i thought maybe July (hopefully next round tuit month) would be a more reasonable time limit.

PLEASE:B:B:B

Cheers

jefferson
5th August 2009, 12:09 PM

Andy, I'm hoping to do at least two boxes. One aimed at my turning level (like the last box I posted), then onto something more challenging. :rolleyes:

Or will Tea Lady ban us if we do more than one?

Ed Reiss
5th August 2009, 12:13 PM
TL i just got home from work for the past 5 days (been to Keiwa again impersonating Ernie)

Now to plead my case for a time extension - i missed the start of the month - i am presently lacking motivation - its cold in the shed - i havent found the peice of wood i need, although i have an idea of what i intended to do

...meantime the poor Stubbies just sitting there rusting away:C

So i thought maybe July (hopefully next round tuit month) would be a more reasonable time limit.

...thought Sept came after Aug, could be wrong about that....wait, that's right, you guys are down-under so July must be next :no::no:

Cheers

tea lady
5th August 2009, 11:41 PM

CheersNo! No one is allowed to make any boxes after the end of the month!:((

:rolleyes::p July might be a LITTLE late.:doh:

Andy, I'm hoping to do at least two boxes. One aimed at my turning level (like the last box I posted), then onto something more challenging. :rolleyes:

Or will Tea Lady ban us if we do more than one?:banhim:

:q Just joking. I'm making this up as we go along. I don't think there is a wrong way.:cool: