PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 15 July 04

Ralph Jones
15th July 2004, 10:06 PM
Good Evening Friends,
What was the origination of todays modern lathe?

Respectfully, :)

journeyman Mick
15th July 2004, 10:38 PM
Yesterday's not quite so modern lathe? :D Pole lathe I think.

Mick

macca2
15th July 2004, 11:07 PM
The earliest hints of the Art of Woodturning probably lie in the ancient Egyptian heiroglyphs, to be found in the tombs of the pharoahs. There, pictographs depicting a primitive bow-driven hand drill can be seen.

Though this is not actually a lathe, it is the first indication of the use of the bow as a means of spinning a tool. The bow became, as far as we can tell, the earliest form of lathe engine. Still, today, in some Arabic countries, this form of bow-driven lathe can be found in use.

Ivan in Oz
16th July 2004, 06:31 AM
G'Morning Ppl,

I’d say us Ozzie Aborigine were onto it
long before the Whiteys found cylindrical motion,
In the form of the ‘Fire making’ stick,
with the Base piece, heating stick and the String with its holder.

We were into circular motion,
You were into reciprocating motion :eek: :eek: :p

Count

Ralph Jones
16th July 2004, 09:37 PM
Good Evening Friends,
I borrowed a book from the library called "Traditional Woodworking Tools" and in it there is a section of different clamps, cramps and pin vises.

Listed in it is a tool handle clamp that allows the worker to install a piece of wood much like the lathe accepts wood and the screw would tighten up with the piece of wood on two points, (one on each end) and the woodworker would use a draw knife to shape the wood piece round by turning it by hand. Then also by turning it by hand could carve indentations, curves, and taper the piece. They were crude spindles but, acceptable for the time period.

There was no date or period of time listed but, they originated from Dutch, then were improved by the English.

Interesting huh?

Respectfully, :)