PDA

View Full Version : floor finishes?

kathyh
15th July 2004, 10:23 PM
I recently did a timber bathroom floor with 708 2 pack and it looks fine and so far is handling the pace just fine but..... I am considering replacing old tongue and groove flooring with treated ply, sanding and varnishing and I wondered if there are any other less fiddly, durable alternatives? Many (many...) years ago I remember my Dad sanding and finishing an absolutely beautiful timber floor with a polyurathene(sp?) varnish that just came straight out of the tin and was as tough as nails. Any ideas? I am probably going back about 30 years but maybe theres something like that still floating around. I figured that if it existed, someone here would know about it! :o Thank you.
Kathyh

journeyman Mick
15th July 2004, 11:04 PM
Kathy,
if you are in or near Cairns go and talk to Dave at Cairns Coatings (Scott street) he carries a huge range of floor finishes and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Mick

kathyh
19th July 2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks Mick - I should be heading up that way in a couple of weeks and I will call in.
Kathy

Zed
19th July 2004, 02:19 PM
Hi,

2 years ago I put cabots clear one pack gloss poly on my t&g flooring with a hardener agent in it - its easy to mix and apply and works a treat. the hardener is relatively cheap and you just add it to the one pack, stir it in and then whack it onto the floor. I put the hardener on the last coat only. the prob with clear poly is the strong turps smell. I hate that!

cheers

peardo
19th July 2004, 02:44 PM
I have done some floors with a product called Intergrain Tung Oil it comes up a treat although its a bit fiddly applying, I did 4 coats. I have seen a ply floor done with another Intergrain product called floor tec or something similar, although it had only been down a couple of months it looked great. However I am sure they said they had also coated the underside to seal the ply. This maybe worth checking on.
Rod