PDA

View Full Version : windows again

dzcook
15th July 2004, 11:48 PM
well read a lot of past post re my windows did one sanded painted puttied and looked good new screws for the hinges same as was on the window but now put it back in and it dont fit anymore ? its stickiing for about 300mm along one side as if the window has gone out of shape ?

still looks sq and is the only window i have done so its not as if i have mixed them up yet it wont close ?

I cant see how a few layers of paint could make it so out of shape ( thats paint on the window and the frame )

is exactly the same size hinges ( came off the windows i removed from the kitchen) as the oringnal ones some how got broken the screws are the same except they are phillips slots not straight ones but size and shape are the same

will be very annoyed if i have to start planning the window down now its all painted etc

so any one got any ideas ?

thks
david

soundman
16th July 2004, 12:33 AM
try to get the right window inthe right hole with the right hinges.

windows & doors are usualy fitted "in place" bbecause there are minir differences in all the bits.

If you can't get a dead match up all may not be lost.
shaving the hinge mortices should get you there.

Jon
16th July 2004, 02:17 PM
David,

I am no expert but a couple of suggestions

As soundman said, make sure you have the correct window in the correct opening.

The paint will not have made the window go out of shape but if it was a close fit in a couple of places before you started, a couple of coats of paint could definitly cause it to bind.

If the paint is not fully cured it will be a bit "grabby" and the window will not slide. Try rubbing the effected part with candle wax as a lubricant but if it is this tight the paint will eventually get rub/wear marks. A clue, were there rub marks originally?

On which edge is it sticking, hinge side, opening side, top or bottom. If it is bottom, loosen the screws on the hinge and see if you can leaver the window up a little and then retighten the screws while maintaing the pressure

or if it is the side, once again with soundman, shave the hinge mortices

Jon

journeyman Mick
16th July 2004, 09:49 PM
Are the faces of the hinge leaves flush with the frame and window? Are the screws flush with the leaves? If either of these are out by even 2mm it will equate to 5-10mm difference at the end of the window. You may have to "ease" the hinges. This can only be done on good quality hinges. If the window is sticking at the bottom then hold a 3" nail between the leaves of the bottom hinge and close the window. You may have to "bounce" the window closed a few times. Just take it easy only push it a little bit. Open the window and remove the nail, try the window for fit, repeat as neccesary. If it's sticking at the top do the top hinge.

Mick

dzcook
18th July 2004, 10:54 PM
ok guys shaved the (mortise ? ) at the top where the top hinge fitted in and that fixed it up eventually ( 3 gose at it ) but now its sticking at the bottom edge of the frame the other end of window away from the hinge so have shaved that and at least at monet can close the window is s till not a good fit

this is the only window that i have done so havent mixed up the window will check the screws tomorrow but they are tight and flush in hinge

to me its as if the window has dropped at one edge doing the hinge has pulled it back a bit perhaps i should take a bit more off that hinge mortise and pull the top of the frame,of the window back into the frame but it dose seem to be getting a bit tight down the hinge side of window against frame already and doing that will make it tighter

what do u guys think
david