PDA

View Full Version : painting old hardwood timber verandah

leapinleroy
16th July 2004, 03:29 PM
I am wishing to paint an enclosed verandah which is not in good enough order to sand and stain. I want to hide any old grain and imperfections. We live on this verandah with children eating and scraping chairs etc. It is impossible to keep clean as the wood soaks up any moisture and it is very difficult to mop because the mop catches in the little roough bits. Can anyone advise me what paint to use ar what to do to keep it clean....or an alternative to painting. The main thing is to make it so that it is sealed and can be mopped. I will be very grateful for any help. Many thanks.

seriph1
17th July 2004, 02:01 PM
I believe paint is the answer unless you were to cover it with lino, outdoor carpet or similar

just give it a light sand with 80 grit paper or so, then go to town on it with outdoor flooring paint

stephenmeddings
17th July 2004, 05:55 PM
then go to town on it with outdoor flooring paint

A few weeks ago on Auction Squad they used Outdoor Paving paint on the floor of a attic bedroom. They said it would be better than normal paint because it was hard wearing.

They come in heaps of colours and can be either water based or solvent based (for that real high)

Stephen

Taffy
3rd August 2004, 10:42 PM
I have used Wattyl decking finish on timber decks and it is easy to put on and you can wash it/mop it without any problems.
About $60 for a 4 litre can but it goes a long way.
We used to live on our outside verandah and it was still good ten years later.
Its acrylic so touch prime any non galvanised nails with an oil based paint.
Taffy