PDA

View Full Version : Need Help To Make Bowl

alienware23
21st July 2009, 12:47 AM
i want to make a shallow bow in the design of the one pictured below. I can make a square bowl with four equal height tips but i want to make one with two different height tips , If anyone can help me i would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

hughie
21st July 2009, 01:15 AM
i want to make a shallow bow in the design of the one pictured below. I can make a square bowl with four equal height tips but i want to make one with two different height tips , If anyone can help me i would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
[/QUOTE]

Well I reckon, you might need a band saw to get you wings done. Turn it full size and then cut the wings with a band saw, hand finish the edges, you could do a fair bit of the work with power sanding. Then do the finishing by hand.

artme
21st July 2009, 08:30 AM
Exactly my thoughts, Hughie!!!:):):)

wheelinround
21st July 2009, 10:02 AM
or cut the bowl on BS to shape re glue edges as sacrificial till turned the rest

TTIT
21st July 2009, 12:15 PM
You could get the same shape as the glass one just by starting with a diamond shaped blank - too easy:2tsup:. If you don't like turning air you could always glue some waste on to the diamond :shrug:

tea lady
21st July 2009, 12:22 PM
Lots of carving after turning a square platter? :think:

Another wacky idea is to turn an oval hollow vase form shaped like football. (Aussie rules type not soccer.:doh: ) and cut it off the side. Prolly get two. Don't know how to do the base though. Sand a flat bit? Or get one of those oval turning thingies.

Steam bend two corners up?

Sometimes you just gotta say "somethings can only be done in certain materials". :shrug:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st July 2009, 06:57 PM
TTiT's way is the "traditional" method of doing it.

The way to tell if a piece has been made this way, is to to look down at it from overhead. If the edges form straight lines, then :2tsup:

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from turning a round bowl and then marking/cutting the edge to shape you want with a BS or fretsaw. You can then make the curve such that the edge doesn't form a straight line no matter how it's viewed. It's more difficult to mark out this way, of course, and wastes more wood; you need to start with a larger blank, whereas TTiTs method uses sacrificial waste.