PDA

View Full Version : Secretary? writing desk / table parts

superfishiwish
21st July 2009, 11:05 AM
Hi there,

I just recently salvaged these two items from a hard rubbish collection in my area. I am really keen to learn how to restore them both, but I wanted to check first incase they are valuable and I could wreck them.

The writing desk looks as though the previous owner got halfway through the restoration, and then gave up. I have all the hinges/handles in a jar. I plan to finish sanding it back, but then I'm not sure what type of finish to apply to it. Any suggestions? Out of interest, does anyone know what type of wood it is?

The second may be a lost cause, but I got excited when I found all the parts present (minus the table top). It seems to be the parts for a table which has two fold-down sides. I like the way the legs are hinged to the main part. Anyway, if anyone recognises this design type could they give me the name of it so I can find a picture to see how it would look when finished? Could anyone recommend what type of wood I should purchase to use as the table top?

Many thanks for any assistance you can give me!

R :)

ColW
21st July 2009, 08:34 PM
It's a bit hard to answer any of those questions , what finish to apply
is a matter of choice and there are many choices, probably best
to go hang out at the hardware or paint shop.

As to what timber, there's not enough clarity in those pics
to tell really, and the main body of the desk is still covered
in a stain or is that the color of the timber?

As for the table I'll hazard a guess and say it's possibly
a "gate leg" set up. They work by having a leg that folds
outward from the main frame to support a "drop leaf "
table top in it's raised position. But then again it could
be some collapsable type set up where the entire table
folds down.

Regards
Col.

jaywit
22nd July 2009, 12:14 AM
The desk is not that unusual,I'm in Canada so it would have been made with NDH(non descript hardwood) Ash,birch,Elm or any local wood,just a funtional piece,It has been known to find letters under the pidgeon hole part.They were bad for breaking the hinge part because they didn't pull out the support all the way.With NDH they are all different so a light stain will even it out,the ends will probably have 2 or 3 pieces glued up.Looks to me like Elm figure but as I said ,different parts of the world.

The table is a different matter,I v'e seen a few but just with the hinge at the top (not the lower part).Was wondering about the ends, not being as the lower hinge piece as it would show.The leg is not that great but ok,the moulding around the base seems a bit out of place with such a plane leg.

I don't think you can spoil them by repairing,but are they really worth it.If you can't find anything better to do, do it

superfishiwish
23rd July 2009, 09:41 AM
thanks for the advice. I think they are worth it for the practice value. This way when something good comes along, at least i'll have a bit of experience.

cheers!

reg

ColW
23rd July 2009, 04:37 PM
That's good logic and how many people started out
myself included, it would be good to see what progress
you make.

regards
col.