PDA

View Full Version : Pen Kit Types and Sizing Reference?

asayer
21st July 2009, 11:11 AM
Hi all,
I'm just getting into pen turning.
So far I have the tools to construct 7mm pens.

I have been looking online at places like Carrolls and find it hard to work out what hardware is required for the different kits.

eg. Pen1, BT-401 Mont Blanc Pen, Polaris etc etc.

Is there a reference somewhere for what drill, mandrel, bushes etc are required for the different pen types?

Also what is a good Australian supplier of pen parts?

Thanks in advance.

watsrags
21st July 2009, 04:59 PM
Carrolls have a good link to their instutions that let you know what hardware you need
http://www.cws.au.com/page/instructions__manuals.html

Their is a couple of companies that Sponder this woodwork forums and they are a good place to start as they all appear to have instrutions on their websites

please please remember that sites like this need the support of business and these businesses need our support

I am not employed by any business and these thoughts are my own

salty72
22nd July 2009, 11:07 PM
we are happy to help with any enquiry you might have including drills and instructions etc..

Mark

asayer
22nd July 2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys, apreciate the responses. :2tsup:

Well since you offered :oo:

Carrolls have Pen and Pencil kits call things like:
Pen1A, Pen1B, PencilA etc
What Drill/Mandrel size and bush type do I need for them?
Standard 7mm with slimline bushes?

Same question for Pen1 Australia and Pen9 Kits.

Thanks again

salty72
23rd July 2009, 12:16 AM
Jim would be the best person to ask in the morning,

it appears that most the kits you mentioned (pen1A, 1B and pencilA ) are slimlines and as such use the "A"-mandrel (6.3mm)... they will also require 7mm drill and standard slimline bushes would be the go,

The Pen 9 looks to be what we call slimline pro 34 - If it is a slimline pro then the brass requires 8mm drill, and the bushes have a major diameter around 10.5mm but as I was saying give Jim a call in the morning

Mark