PDA

View Full Version : back to the lathe

weisyboy
21st July 2009, 08:33 PM
so i was cleaning the workshop up today and found a blackbean block that we found last time david (calm) was up.

i stuck it on the rack with all teh other blanks and tried to keep cleaning but it was calling me and i couldnt resist.

here are the results.

sanded to 600 then EEE and tehn glow more eee then bees wax.

i am verry happy with the results.

HazzaB
21st July 2009, 08:44 PM
Hey Carl,

Very Nice bowl, like that timber a lot, where does it come from? (I know its from a tree:oo:) but where do they grow, I really like that grain. The shape of the bowl is good as well.

HazzaB

weisyboy
21st July 2009, 08:52 PM
tehy grow in teh ground.

yes i love it i cant stop looking at it or toutching it.

funkychicken
21st July 2009, 08:55 PM
Not half bad Carl, now show us the bottom

weisyboy
21st July 2009, 09:02 PM
there ya go.

didnt dare put it ont eh cole jaws to clean up in the grove just incase it just looked to good to run teh risk

dai sensei
21st July 2009, 09:07 PM
Looks good to me Carl, well done :2tsup:

Bluegum
21st July 2009, 09:08 PM
Nice work mate.:2tsup:

Calm
21st July 2009, 09:10 PM
Top job Carl, mine is roughed out somewhere in the shed.:2tsup::2tsup:

texx
21st July 2009, 09:42 PM
i got a heap of that once many years ago from mount me state forest "yes legally." the club had a weekend in there collecting timber
love the stuff but cant turn it or could'nt then any way made my nose bleed i found out after carting a 6x4 trailer load of logs home ,maybe now 30 years later it wont . course i dont have any to try and find out but i will get some further down the track

Ed Reiss
21st July 2009, 10:08 PM
yes i love it i cant stop looking at it or toutching it.

...wood fetish, eh?:D

Good work...nice lookin' bowl:2tsup:

Wizened of Oz
22nd July 2009, 04:37 PM
Hey Carl,

Very Nice bowl, like that timber a lot, where does it come from? (I know its from a tree:oo:) but where do they grow, I really like that grain. The shape of the bowl is good as well.

HazzaB

Castanospermum australe, also called Moreton Bay Chestnut. Rainforest tree of Qld & NSW. Reasonably common around here and planted a lot as a park & street tree. Bears lovely orange & yellow pea-shaped flowers and was our shire's floral emblem till amalgamation.

Lovely bowl, Carl.

ElizaLeahy
22nd July 2009, 06:31 PM
Lovely bowl Carl!!!

:2tsup:

I have a question about the finish though, why would you EEE after you glow, and then add bees wax? I EEE, then glow, then that's it!

Black Bean - poisonous fruit unless you prepare it right. Have to do something like leave it soak in a running creek for 3 days, then roast, then grind to mash, then cook again - something like that. What I want to know is - how did they work out that was what they had to do to make it edible???

:)

texx
22nd July 2009, 06:56 PM
Lovely bowl Carl!!!

I have a question about the finish though, why would you EEE after you glow, and then add bees wax? I EEE, then glow, then that's it!

Black Bean - poisonous fruit unless you prepare it right. Have to do something like leave it soak in a running creek for 3 days, then roast, then grind to mash, then cook again - something like that. What I want to know is - how did they work out that was what they had to do to make it edible???

trial and error , early form of population explosion control

funkychicken
22nd July 2009, 08:31 PM
there ya go.

didnt dare put it ont eh cole jaws to clean up in the grove just incase it just looked to good to run teh risk
Get rid of those rings and it'll look even better

weisyboy
22nd July 2009, 08:35 PM
i put those lines there:2tsup:

funkychicken
22nd July 2009, 08:37 PM
i put those lines there:2tsup:

Yep, now get rid of them. A smooth bottom always looks better

Sawdust Maker
22nd July 2009, 08:38 PM
Lovely bowl Carl!!!

Broil or braise it with a couple of pieces of granite. When soft throw out the blackbean and eat the granite :D

weisyboy
22nd July 2009, 08:39 PM
no

echnidna
22nd July 2009, 09:14 PM
go on Carl, yer bottom will look better if it's smooth :p

weisyboy
22nd July 2009, 09:19 PM
ill get out the sander ay.:;