PDA

View Full Version : Cheater's Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)

Woodwould
23rd July 2009, 04:11 PM
I'm an excellent cook (so I've been told http://www.woodworkforums.com/picture.php?albumid=286&pictureid=2704) and I really used to enjoy cooking and entertaining. These days I can't stand for too long, so I have devised several cheater's recipes which, while not remotely authentic, are passable counterfeits of some well known (and some not so well known) dishes.

Nothing beats the aroma of roasting herbs and spices in preparation for making bona fide Murgh Makhani, but adaptation and modification are crucial to my existence which is how I came up with this quick and simple version.

Serves two.

Ingredients:

500g boneless, skin-off chicken.
Juice of 1 lime.
430g can of Campbells Rich Tomato Condensed Soup (or 350g of tomato puree and 100ml of cream).
200ml pot of plain yoghurt.
1/2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste).
2 tsps garam masala.
1 tsp coriander powder.
1 tsp cumin powder.
8 peppercorns.
4 cloves.
1 stick of cinnamon.
4 cardamom pods.
2 bay leaves.
1 onion, chopped.
2 tsps garlic paste.
50g butter.
Salt to taste.
Fresh coriander.

Preparation:

Cube the chicken.
Put everything into a slow cooker for eight or nine hours.

Serving:

Serve on Basmati rice and garnish with fresh coriander.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/picture.php?albumid=286&pictureid=2674

bsrlee
24th July 2009, 11:05 PM
Interesting technique - it will save me having to buy the pre-mixed spice packs.

The most amusing thing about Butter Chicken is that it is authentic Mancunian cuisine - invented in Manchester England a few decades ago by some Indian restaurants there and enthusiastically adopted all over the world. Just ask Mahdur Jaffrey.

Ben from Vic.
24th July 2009, 11:53 PM
Put everything into a slow cooker for eight or nine hours.

If you don't have a slow cooker would a heavy based pot work, perhaps requiring a shorter cooking time?

Have you tried a pressure cooker?

Woodwould
25th July 2009, 12:41 AM
The most amusing thing about Butter Chicken is that it is authentic Mancunian cuisine - invented in Manchester England a few decades ago by some Indian restaurants there and enthusiastically adopted all over the world. Just ask Mahdur Jaffrey.

I've heard that too, and while it may be true of 'Butter Chicken', Murgh Makhani (which is what Butter Chicken is) is a venerated Mughal recipe from the early sixteenth century.

Woodwould
25th July 2009, 12:46 AM
If you don't have a slow cooker would a heavy based pot work, perhaps requiring a shorter cooking time?

Have you tried a pressure cooker?

A heavy pot would do alright as long as you could regulate the heat so the contents don't actually boil. You can buy slow cookers for well under $30 and some double up as rice cookers too.

snowyskiesau
19th August 2009, 06:18 PM
Thought I'd give this recipe a try tonight, I've already made pork vindaloo and lamb korma this week so sticking with the curry theme while the weather's cool.

What's in your garam masala for this recipe? I've got several different recipes all called garam masala (which I believe means 'spice mix' in Hindi)

Woodwould
19th August 2009, 06:38 PM
Quite true. I just use a proprietary Garam Masala either from the the likes of Coles or safeway, or an Indian supermarket.

I had this again last night actually.

snowyskiesau
19th August 2009, 06:42 PM
Looks like I will have to rely on Charmaine Solomon to help me out here.
She doesn't give a recipe for Butter Chicken (I guess not being an 'authentic' recipe) but she does have lots of different garam masalas listed.