PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start a firewood business in the south west

robduca
23rd July 2009, 10:06 PM
Hi,

I am just looking into starting a small firewood business on my days off. I was just wondering if anyone knew how i would go about buying a truckload of firewood logs?
I am in Bunbury, WA.

Thanks

Rob

woodturner777
27th July 2009, 12:32 PM
Hi Rob, First thing I would be doing is call your local forestry department.
Regards Bob

Hi,

I am just looking into starting a small firewood business on my days off. I was just wondering if anyone knew how i would go about buying a truckload of firewood logs?
I am in Bunbury, WA.

Thanks

Rob

nifty
24th September 2009, 12:12 AM
Hi,

I am in Bunbury, WA.

Thanks

Rob
Good luck Rob, do your homework and see how fast you change your mind. Up your way Giovennettys cart the logsd for the government and also hve a large firewood show in Picton. In Donnybrook Thompson Tylers cart the logs for the FPC and also have a firewood yard. How do you think your going to go?

robduca
24th September 2009, 10:23 AM
Giovanetti's will sell firewood logs to me for $70 +gst a tonne which i have to cut up and sell. Should be able to get $150 a tonne here for it. Just workin out if it is goin to be worth my time. This was just to raise enough money to buy a Lucas Mill :D
Dont think ill be doin anythin this year but might next..
Was also thinkin of goin round to farms with trees down to see if i could clean it up for the jarrah, but i dont think i will get much from this.

I dont plan on being too big as i have a full time job already. I was hoping for maybe a couple of loads a week. Just to keep me busy :)

Thanks

fpcwa
2nd November 2009, 01:46 AM
Rob, there's some information on our website which will give you the information you need on purchasing firewood for resale in Western Australia.

Start off on our Firewood page (Forest Products Commission: Products and services: Firewood (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content_migration/products_services/firewood.aspx)), which has a PDF file you can download which explains how and where firewood is bought and sold in WA.

The next page web page is a little wordy, but gives information on the subject in some real detail:
Forest Products Commission: Products and services: Contracts, auctions and tenders (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content_migration/products_services/contracts_auctions_tenders.aspx)
You can also contact any of our offices for assistance and details on this, however give our Rivervale office a call on (08) 9475 8888 and you'll be put in touch with someone in our Business Operations Branch who can answer your questions and tell you how to get things started from the contract and supply side of things.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your business ventures.