PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Valuing Vintage Machines?

sawdustee
24th July 2009, 02:36 PM
I have inherited from my late father two vintage machines. They've had very little use - only hobby purposes. They have been well cared for and are in excellent working condition. Both machines are single phase and have tilting tables.

An approx 50 y.o. Gilbarco 6" Jointer with 43" long and 8" wide cast iron bed. It is mounted on heavy hardwood stand - no vibration when using. Has a large heavy duty motor. Gilbarco is an Australian Made product.

Also have an unbranded (just says "patent pending") approx 30 y.o. Table Saw. Saw blade aperture is 9" - so assuming it's an 8" blade. It is 24" long with 18" wide cast iron bed. It has a metal stand. Two motors are available for this machine. Machine is Australian Made.

I have a person interested in purchasing both machines but have no idea of their worth.
Are good quality vintage machines generally worth more or less than the modern asian built counterparts?

All I want is a fair price for them. Just don't want to get ripped off.

Can anyone please advise?:)

Luddite
24th July 2009, 11:02 PM
I have inherited from my late father two vintage machines. They've had very little use - only hobby purposes. They have been well cared for and are in excellent working condition. Both machines are single phase and have tilting tables.

An approx 50 y.o. Gilbarco 6" Jointer with 43" long and 8" wide cast iron bed. It is mounted on heavy hardwood stand - no vibration when using. Has a large heavy duty motor. Gilbarco is an Australian Made product.

Also have an unbranded (just says "patent pending") approx 30 y.o. Table Saw. Saw blade aperture is 9" - so assuming it's an 8" blade. It is 24" long with 18" wide cast iron bed. It has a metal stand. Two motors are available for this machine. Machine is Australian Made.

I have a person interested in purchasing both machines but have no idea of their worth.
Are good quality vintage machines generally worth more or less than the modern asian built counterparts?

All I want is a fair price for them. Just don't want to get ripped off.

Can anyone please advise?:)

Hi,

If you are worried that you will get "ripped off" put them on Ebay and let the market decide what they are worth. something is only worth what the market will pay on a particular day.

If I was making a bid on the jointer, I would be looking to pay $200- 300....it would depend on the condition of the motor, bearing wear, blade condition etc.

You need to be sure you are not keeping something just because you don't want to be "ripped off"....let someone buy them who will use them.

Good luck,

Anthony

Burnsy
24th July 2009, 11:12 PM
I reckon if you can get $300 for the both of them you would be lucky as yes, vintage stuff is generally a lot cheaper than the modern Chinese counterparts in my experience, and there is good reason for it.

Modern stuff, even Chinese, meets current safety standards, comes with a warranty, uses the latest technology and has parts and service readily available.

I am with Anthony, stick them on ebay if you are really worried about their worth, and you will be surprised what you get (or don't get) for them - search completed listings.

Burnsy
24th July 2009, 11:14 PM
You need to be sure you are not keeping something just because you don't want to be "ripped off"....let someone buy them who will use them.

Well said, even better, learn to use the machines yourself, you will feel a connection to your father every time you do, I love using my grandfathers chisels.

sawdustee
4th August 2009, 02:57 PM
Thank you Burnsy & Luddite for your replies... Sorry for the delay in responding.

I will consider Ebay for the machines if my buyer doesn't come through. I am keeping my Dad's hand tools and will enjoy using them & will definitely feel a connection to my Dad when doing so. I personally prefer the old hand tools to the big machinery anyway, though it is more labour intensive!

Thanks again!:U

rhancock
4th August 2009, 04:47 PM
If you're going to do even a small amount of woodworking you should keep both machines - you'll really regret selling them in 2 years time when you need them.

malb
4th August 2009, 08:21 PM
I would also suggest keeping the machines if they are in servicable condition or close to and you have any inclination toward woodwork. Sale might produce $250 for the pair, which would not replace either with base level Chinese stuff later on.