PDA

View Full Version : New piece

robbiebgraham
24th July 2009, 04:50 PM
Hi All,
This is turned out of green Rhododendron, turned the inside to about 2mm thick using a mini Rolly . Height 200mm left to dry for a few days before the pyrography and painting.
The piece is called balance because it has a round bottom and rocks if bumped.
The photo isn't the best sorry. I found that no mater what light source I used the pale wood over exposed and if I set the exposure for the bottom part of the vessel the picture came out too dark.
Comments Welcome
http://www.wildwoodgallery.co.nz/woodturning/balance6.jpg

tea lady
24th July 2009, 05:18 PM
Nice! Trees in balance.:cool: (pic might have been better with lighter background, and maybe mirrors of white card refecting light onto the darker base. {Mirrors and paper aren't' in shot, just reflecting light.})

robbiebgraham
24th July 2009, 05:32 PM
Nice! Trees in balance.:cool: (pic might have been better with lighter background, and maybe mirrors of white card refecting light onto the darker base. {Mirrors and paper aren't' in shot, just reflecting light.})
I agree, I think a gray background would work better and reflectors should work.
Thanks for the comments and ideas.
Robbie
http://www.wildwoodgallery.co.nz/woodturning.htm

ElizaLeahy
24th July 2009, 06:01 PM
That is magnificent!

:oo:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th July 2009, 06:11 PM
Nice! Not really my "thing" - I like to see the wood - but that's still very, very striking.

So much so that it's yet another idea I'm gonna store away... (until everyone's forgotten about yours and I won't be accused of plagiarism. :;:U)

Drillit
24th July 2009, 06:28 PM
Hi RBG,
Excellent! - I also like adding pyrography to turned work - in this case did you sand blast the "painted" area to get that effect? or is it just my imagination from the photo. Thanks, John m.

Ad de Crom
24th July 2009, 06:40 PM
Robbie, very striking.
Have the thoughts for a long time, to do pyrography, but till now I didn't.
Ad :2tsup:

Mulgabill
24th July 2009, 06:51 PM
Marvellous work as usual Robbie! What type of colour/dyes & finishes did you use?

KenW
24th July 2009, 07:15 PM
Robbie, another nice looking piece.
Painting is not my thing, however the colours on this piece work well.

Ed Reiss
24th July 2009, 09:55 PM
Nice use of color. Outstanding:2tsup:

artme
24th July 2009, 10:06 PM
Beautifully done Robbie.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You have used colour very successfully.

Claw Hama
24th July 2009, 11:21 PM
High quality work, very very nice.

robbiebgraham
25th July 2009, 08:25 AM
Hi RBG,
Excellent! - I also like adding pyrography to turned work - in this case did you sand blast the "painted" area to get that effect? or is it just my imagination from the photo. Thanks, John m.
Thanks John,
No sandblasting on this piece but I sand between stages, when doing the pyrography. After doing the lines I sand then do the dots so I can see the lines more clearly.
Robbie

robbiebgraham
25th July 2009, 08:32 AM
Marvellous work as usual Robbie! What type of colour/dyes & finishes did you use?
Hi Mulgabill, I use artist iridescent paints using a brush on this piece and finish with lacquer, which brings out the metallic look, other wise it can look a little dull.
RBG

oldiephred
25th July 2009, 09:20 AM
Excellent work. The painting must have been time consuming?

robbiebgraham
25th July 2009, 09:57 AM
Excellent work. The painting must have been time consuming?
Thanks, Not half as long as the pyrography, probably took a good eight hours to do the pyro. lol
Robbie

orraloon
25th July 2009, 11:15 AM
Robbie,
I am more of just the wood look myself but that is very good work there.
The first bit of rhododendron I have seen on here too.http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
Regards
John

dai sensei
25th July 2009, 12:05 PM
Beautiful work as usual Robbie :2tsup:

After Turn-fest I went out and bought heaps of those fancy paints, one day I might actually get to use them :-:U

Mulgabill
25th July 2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Mulgabill, I use artist iridescent paints using a brush on this piece and finish with lacquer, which brings out the metallic look, other wise it can look a little dull.
RBG
Thanks Robbie,
I have purchased a tube of Daler Rowney Interference Colour (Copper) to give it at try, but for the time being it is the todo bucket for a couple of months. Have you used this product by any chance? http://www.artmaterials.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Interference+colour&osCsid=60b018f714be6bcf41cdbbac1b29dbe4&x=6&y=11

robbiebgraham
25th July 2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks Robbie,
I have purchased a tube of Daler Rowney Interference Colour (Copper) to give it at try, but for the time being it is the todo bucket for a couple of months. Have you used this product by any chance? http://www.artmaterials.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Interference+colour&osCsid=60b018f714be6bcf41cdbbac1b29dbe4&x=6&y=11
Hi Mulgabill,
I haven't used that product :no:but I have used Copper and Bronze Matisse Metallic acrylic paints in the past but I find the DecorArt Dazzling Metallics, which are liquid paint give a more iridescent look. I quite often thin them with water to get better flow over the pyrography. They work better over black so I usually paint the area black first.:2tsup:
Robbie

robbiebgraham
25th July 2009, 04:49 PM
Beautiful work as usual Robbie :2tsup:

After Turn-fest I went out and bought heaps of those fancy paints, one day I might actually get to use them :-:U
Thanks Dai,
Give it a go and have some fun.:U
Robbie

Mulgabill
25th July 2009, 04:56 PM
Hi Mulgabill,
I haven't used that product :no:but I have used Copper and Bronze Matisse Metallic acrylic paints in the past but I find the DecorArt Dazzling Metallics, which are liquid paint give a more iridescent look. I quite often thin them with water to get better flow over the pyrography. They work better over black so I usually paint the area black first.:2tsup:
Robbie
Thanks Robbie for the tip! I will let you know how the Interference turns out in the meantime I will look into the DecorArts Metallics.