PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 17 July 04

Ralph Jones
17th July 2004, 09:37 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Before the folding rule with the brass extension for measuring inside measurements, there was a method used for the same thing.

Can you think of what that method was?

Respectfully, :)

Bob Willson
18th July 2004, 01:06 AM
Get a bit of string and cut it to the same size as the inside dimension of whatever you sre measuring, Then get your folding rule with the brass extension for measuring inside measurements and measure the bit of string on folding rule with the brass extension for measuring inside measurements.

Ralph Jones
18th July 2004, 09:37 PM
Good Evening Robert,
The correct answer for the quiz is to take two thin pieces of wood and hold them in the center and slide then each way till they contact the surface of what is to be measured and while holding it firmly measure the length to arrive to the inside measurement of the object.

Respectfully, :)

Pete J
19th July 2004, 12:29 AM
Before the folding rule with the brass extension for measuring inside measurements, there was a method used for the same thing.

Ralph - mate -

This may not entirely gel with you but I once went to a well known suit retailer/manufacturer in Sydney and the inside leg measurements were taken by a pillow biter. I'm not sure whether pillow biters have a brass extension, but I'm not keen to find out.

Regards