PDA

View Full Version : Spiritsong NAF Kit

Scally
24th July 2009, 08:52 PM
A friend plays a Native American Flute and it sounds amazing.

So I checked out a number of sites but couldn't find information that was clear enough for me to make my own from scratch.

Spiritsong Flutes have two kits. Matt convinced me to get the Advanced version. The bore is complete, the chute cut and bird and leather thong supplied. It had a clear fundamental F.

Just in case I made a big mess and to give me another style, I also bought an Ancient Territories flute complete.

You can see in the first pic that I still had a little work to do.

After a bit of head scratching, I marked out the location of the six holes and drilled pilot holes with the drill press. After checking that everything was according to the instructions, I drilled 4mm holes as recommended in the plans.

Then I did some minor shaping with a plane, spokeshave and sandpaper. I tried to get a flat section on top as I thought it might help with holding the fingers on the holes.

Tuning was a problem because I couldn't blow a consistent note.
After a few days practice I started filing the holes to tune each note.
All holes were low so the holes were enlarged back towards the bird until they were in tune.

Impatient to see the flute finished, I gave it a coat of Ardvos.
It looks like a real flute.
The sound is a lovely mellow - when I have my fingers over the holes and blow steadily.

Now I will give it several coast and start practicing.

Sebastiaan56
27th July 2009, 07:00 AM
Hi Scally,

It certainly looks the part, flutes are deceptive in that they need to be played properly to be in tune, seems like you found this out.

Scally
27th July 2009, 11:44 PM
I am pretty rough Seb.
It took a long while to get a good sound. Some attempt were terrible and no matter what I tried I could get it right.
The only choice was to go and do something else.

For some strange reason it seemed to work when I came back.

Next effort will be to see if I can make one from scratch.
The fripple seems to be the next critical step.

Sebastiaan56
28th July 2009, 06:57 AM
Fipples can be cranky bastards, there is much to learn. Ive not made a NAF so Im not familiar with the geometry but the principles will be the same as tin whistles, recorders etc. I look forward to seeing it!

Scally
29th July 2009, 11:11 PM
That is what I expected.

I am slowly finding bits of useful information but it wont make much sense until I start playing with bits of wood.

SpiritFlutes
30th July 2009, 12:13 AM
A friend plays a Native American Flute and it sounds amazing.

So I checked out a number of sites but couldn't find information that was clear enough for me to make my own from scratch.

Spiritsong Flutes have two kits. Matt convinced me to get the Advanced version. The bore is complete, the chute cut and bird and leather thong supplied. It had a clear fundamental F.

Just in case I made a big mess and to give me another style, I also bought an Ancient Territories flute complete.

You can see in the first pic that I still had a little work to do.

After a bit of head scratching, I marked out the location of the six holes and drilled pilot holes with the drill press. After checking that everything was according to the instructions, I drilled 4mm holes as recommended in the plans.

Then I did some minor shaping with a plane, spokeshave and sandpaper. I tried to get a flat section on top as I thought it might help with holding the fingers on the holes.

Tuning was a problem because I couldn't blow a consistent note.
After a few days practice I started filing the holes to tune each note.
All holes were low so the holes were enlarged back towards the bird until they were in tune.

Impatient to see the flute finished, I gave it a coat of Ardvos.
It looks like a real flute.
The sound is a lovely mellow - when I have my fingers over the holes and blow steadily.

Now I will give it several coast and start practicing.

Great news and as I said in the email a very grand effort.

Taking the extra time to get used to the back presure of the NAF was a really smart move, with a low breath you could have easily taken 30 cents too much off. As sabastian56 notes this is very important to a good tune up.

I personally wouldn't have recommended the flattening out of the top though I have done it on fully whittled flutes to allow a sealable surface with your fingers. I don't think it's a bad thing though as if your wall thickness is greater than the optimum 5-6mm then its a way to decrease the thickness in the hole area without having to decrease the whole flute, I really love lathe turning for this reason as it keeps everything uniform automatically if everythings centred. The hole sizes I use on this diameter flute make for a good radius that is easy to seal on the apex. Hard to tell the exact thickness of the wall when you are using a plane so you really need to watch and get a feel of what amount of material you are removing and what judge it aproximatley. There is always a bit of room for error. And its only an issue until you get a solid understanding of the process. I see what you mean by scratching your head as it is a mental mathematic equasion in your mind with lots of variables, least that's how I see it. I have made mistakes before by moving things down instead of up even though I don't like to admit it sometimes it can catch you out if you are not really clear. That's why I say double check everything before you go for it as theres many hours of work to spoil in a few seconds.

John Stillwell of Ancient Territories is funily enough a good freind and when I last saw him a few years ago he gave me one of his flutes in Alder. He makes a nice flute. His finger holes are different in that they are larger than mine most likley closer to the foot. His sound hole and most things also are different. This is the case with nearly all NAF makers, you develop your own unique sound and I have settled on the current design of my flutes and flute kits for it's full bodied sound. Can't go past that Rosewood for it's tonal qualities, we are certainly blessed with sweet woods in OZ.

That's Livos Ardvos you mention I take it, what did you think about that, did you burnish it in. Latley I have converted to Organoil and burnished it in to 1200 grit, not too many commercial flute makers out there doing a finish like this. Despite the effort it takes the end result is really worht the effort, could go to 2000 G but 1200 makes a really great result and takes care of the burnishing. Heat friction is important with this method as well as wiping the paper on a rag.

Thanks for sending the Pics or your Kalimbas, I don't know if you have the time but I would love to be part of a forum on the Kalimba if someone like yourself will lead the way. I notice they have a very strong following here in OZ and there sound is pretty unique and relaxing. I would say they seem to be a little less technical to make than a NAF for beginners but I am sure they have a more that meets the eye with some parts of the process.

Anyway thanks for your feedback on my kits and wishing you a great journey with your lovely new flute :U

SpiritFlutes
www.spiritsongflutes.com.au (http://www.woodworkforums.com/www.spiritsongflutes.com.au)

Scally
30th July 2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for your help along the way Matt.

It is interesting the difference between the flutes, yet they have similar sounds.

I flattened the top to help me get a good finger cover of the holes as mentioned by John Stillwell. I used a hand plane and kept the removal even along the length of the flute.
The thickness of the wall was still between 5-6mm.

The Livos oil is a favourite of mine of furniture and most wood work products. Maybe it is not the best finish for a flute. Most seem to prefer hard finishes like estapol. This sounds sensible.

I have posted pics of a few of my kalimbas:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=57146&highlight=kalimba.

Like most things - they can be a simple or a complicated as you want. Seb and others put me onto some good resources. Slowly I am gaining some understanding.

SpiritFlutes
31st July 2009, 12:24 AM
Great news :2tsup:

I'll check out the Kalimba's

SpiritFlutes