PDA

View Full Version : Maple bowl

Ad de Crom
25th July 2009, 04:18 AM
Had for at least 8 weeks two rough turned maple bowls in a paper bag for drying.
Took one out for finishing, was nicely oval warped.
Here the endresult.
DxH 250x100mm, wall thickness 9mm.
Finished with blanc transparent lacquer.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers Ad

Texian
25th July 2009, 05:39 AM
Very nice bowl Ad. Nice flowing lines.

hughie
25th July 2009, 09:36 AM
Nice one Ad, :2tsup: I would like to see what you could do with a lump of Oz burl.

wheelinround
25th July 2009, 09:46 AM
Ad thats nice Maple very light in colour that crack must have you worried when turning

I agree with Hughie we might have to get a good Aussie burl to you.

ElizaLeahy
25th July 2009, 09:49 AM
That is very lovely!

Yeah, when are you coming to Aussie for a holiday? A wood turning holiday to try all the weird Aussie woods?

DJ’s Timber
25th July 2009, 10:16 AM
I like it :H

artme
25th July 2009, 10:27 AM
Sublimely attractive Ad! I like that a lot.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

orraloon
25th July 2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Ad,
I like that one. Simple design and nice to look at. Was that the new English chisels getting a first run?
Regards
John

Ad de Crom
25th July 2009, 06:09 PM
Ad thats nice Maple very light in colour that crack must have you worried when turning

I agree with Hughie we might have to get a good Aussie burl to you.
The cracks were only small, but I cut off some wood, not to much to get rid of most of these cracks. It don't worried me as I see it as a wonder of nature.
Thanks Ray.
Ad :)

Ad de Crom
25th July 2009, 06:15 PM
That is very lovely!

Yeah, when are you coming to Aussie for a holiday? A wood turning holiday to try all the weird Aussie woods?
Eliza, this holiday is on my wish list.
Unfortunally I'm not the only one to decide where we have to go for the next holiday.
My lovely wife Nel has also a wish list, as you understand.
Would like it to meet you personally!!
Ad

Ad de Crom
25th July 2009, 06:21 PM
Hi Ad,
I like that one. Simple design and nice to look at. Was that the new English chisels getting a first run?
Regards
John
Yeah John, the new Crown tools are wonderful, very good stuff. I have ''nooitgedagt'' tools (Dutch tools) a pity that they are not longer available, this company was taken over by the Americans a couple of years ago, they dropped the whole woodturning programm. Also I have several German tools, who are very good.
Thanks John.
Ad

orificiam
27th July 2009, 09:52 PM
Another good result Ad beautiful form and finish.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

Rum Pig
28th July 2009, 08:46 AM
Eliza, this holiday is on my wish list.
Unfortunally I'm not the only one to decide where we have to go for the next holiday.
My lovely wife Nel has also a wish list, as you understand.
Would like it to meet you personally!!
Ad
I'm sure with the right marketing we/you could convince her that Australia is the place to be:U

Oh that is a very nice bowl, nice clean lines, I like it:2tsup:

jefferson
28th July 2009, 10:35 AM
Nice work again Ad. :2tsup:

We have a box challenge running and we'd all like to see something from you....

Ad de Crom
28th July 2009, 07:06 PM
Nice work again Ad. :2tsup:

We have a box challenge running and we'd all like to see something from you....
Saw it Jeff, but I have on this moment not the time for turnings. I'm busy with working out a plan for a simplified version of an oval turning device. Had a prototype for a year ago with a rollerchain transmission, but this prototype brought me not what I wanted.(to much margins)
Still it stays in the back of my head all the time, and I found another way without rollerchain or timingbelt transmission. Have to discover first the possibility of this new idea. Would like it to make small oval turning some day, this technic has my full attention, as it intrique me from of the first moment I saw an oval turning.
This will take me time to develop this device.
Ad

jefferson
28th July 2009, 07:38 PM
Ad,

Vicmarc make and oval turning device that I have resisted buying. (I can't turn off-centre stuff anyway so it would be wasted on me).

Let us all know how you get on. And keep the good pics coming. :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
28th July 2009, 08:40 PM
Ad,

Vicmarc make and oval turning device that I have resisted buying. (I can't turn off-centre stuff anyway so it would be wasted on me).

Let us all know how you get on. And keep the good pics coming. :2tsup:
Yes I know Jeff, but the Vicmarc device is to complicated for me.
Have to make it by my own bare hands, so this means the simplier the design, with the less possible parts, the better. Have to see it as an add for my hobby for small oval objects.
Cheers, Ad

jefferson
28th July 2009, 10:36 PM
Good luck with it, Ad.

I've seen the Vicmarc OTD but haven't even been tempted (yet). I need to learn more about chisel control before I go completely overboard.

Let us all know how you get on. That would be a very interesting post.