PDA

View Full Version : exploding mushroom!

ElizaLeahy
26th July 2009, 01:35 PM
My mushroom exploded!

:sad2:

I turned the top, started the bottom, jammed the top on the bottom, turned it, moved the toolrest around to do the top of the mushroom, turned the lathe on again, put the tool on the top....

And it ATTACKED ME! Flew off, fell on the ground, broken into pieces.

I'm so sad. It was pretty.

:(

wheelinround
26th July 2009, 01:41 PM
Add an egg make mushroom omelette

ElizaLeahy
26th July 2009, 01:52 PM
mulga omlette, yummmmm

:hbomb: (only mushroom I could find...)

Bit hard on the teeth though.

Gil Jones
26th July 2009, 02:29 PM
Hey, Eliza.
I have no doubt it was pretty, as your turning work is improving considerably, but some days are like that. Just back off, and ask yourself what you can learn from the “exploding mushroom”, and continue on with a new one. :)

ElizaLeahy
26th July 2009, 02:54 PM
Gil, I'm afraid it was pretty more because of the beautiful mulga wood then anything I did! But Bev has kindly said he will give me some more :)

Enfield Guy
26th July 2009, 05:52 PM
No drama snake charmer!!!!!!!

issatree
26th July 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Eliza,
Why 2 pieces, as I generally make them in 1 piece, & if you make the base wide enough, say 75mm ( ground ) you can drill small holes at an angle & make smaller toadstools , & they look great then. They sell very well.
Regards,
issatree.

ElizaLeahy
26th July 2009, 08:58 PM
Issatree - it was a box, the top of the mushroom came off, the bottom bit was hollow.

Just like a normal box, only mushroom :)

Sounds like fun, with the smaller ones around the base!

Pat
26th July 2009, 09:20 PM
Eliza, I have turned the odd Mushie. The largest was 3" dia, turned between centres. One piece for a mate's grand daughters fairy garden. As usual, take it easy and don't over complicate things. I had my mate look over my shoulder for the 10 minutes it took:U

RETIRED
26th July 2009, 09:29 PM
Eliza is doing this I assume.

http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php Scroll across the top to AAW and then look up Anthony Harris-Mushroom box.

Am I right Eliza?

Pat
26th July 2009, 09:56 PM
Which one , although the Nick Cook one is interesting.

RETIRED
26th July 2009, 09:59 PM
Look under AAW right across on the right.

ElizaLeahy
26th July 2009, 10:10 PM
Yes, that one, only I didn't have bark on my bit of tree. It was mulga, very pretty red wood in the middle, lovely light wood with strong grain on the outside. Shone like a mirror right off the tool.

I'm in mourning!

I have another bit, I migth try again tomorow. At the end of the week I'll see Bev again :)

Tell you what too, the mulga gave no problems with end grain. Anyone want to tell me why?

I migth make a tiny bowl out of the bottom of the mushroom that exploded.

RETIRED
26th July 2009, 10:22 PM
Which one , although the Nick Cook one is interesting.Very good. It was like watching me at work.:D

jefferson
26th July 2009, 10:40 PM
Very good. It was like watching me at work.:D

Another Production woodturner..... :(:(:(