PDA

View Full Version : Is there any artificial way to grow straight tree?

wolfram
28th July 2009, 01:55 AM
Greetings mate.

I am not sure this will fit into forestry management, as I only planned to grow 10 or so tree :U

I want to plant guava, but it is naturally 'branchy' tree. Is there any way to influence the environment so that it can grow straight, say 3 metres upward ?

Buddy of mine said it can be done by putting tarp shade around the sapling and gradually increasing the shade's height accordingly plus pinching any lateral buds. He use this method on sapodilla tree.

Any inputs are appreciated

bsrlee
29th July 2009, 02:46 AM
Listen to your mate - that is how 'they' do it in nurseries, and its why 'forest' trees are preferred to 'parkland' trees for lumber, and vice versa for grown knees for ship building. Only thing it won't do is stop twisty grain.

wolfram
30th July 2009, 02:47 AM
bsrlee, thanks for the confirmation.

I don't know will it works for guava, but i will give it a try. Thanks again.

whitewood
30th July 2009, 06:39 AM
Paulownia timber plantations are developed by pruning every branch that grows on the trunk until it has reached the desired height. In the case of paulownia large leaves grow off the trunk as well and these are left to allow the tree to develop.
John

wolfram
4th August 2009, 01:47 AM
In the case of paulownia, it is naturaly "straight" tree right ? Does the same treatment also works for guava ? I notice my 7 month guava already developed many branch near the base (approx 20cm from ground). The main trunk is only about a meter high from the ground.

Hence my original question about shades, because I'm not confident enough to branch pruning such young tree.

whitewood
4th August 2009, 10:20 PM
Wolfram
I'm no botanist so don't take these comments as scientific.
Paulownia grown in a plantation situation do grow straight but only after extensive and regular pruning throughout the first year to develop a trunk. Pruning is carried out in subsequent years to retain this branch free trunk. It's a time consuming task.
The paulownia around my farm that were not in a plantation and allowed to grow 'naturally' are not straight. Branches start about 60 cementres from the base and grow upwards and outwards, like a candle holder, with branches forming on branches. That is like any other tree. The benefit I see with Paulownia is that the leaves on trees in the first year are very large and provide the greenery necessary for the development of the tree. I don't know whether this would happen as well with other species. As I said I am not a botanist.

Hope this helps
John

Wongdai
4th August 2009, 11:07 PM
How about if you grew it inside a pipe?

Studley 2436
4th August 2009, 11:48 PM
To my knowledge which is thin and limited. When they grow a forest of timber for harvest, pruning is part of the planning. They cut off limbs that grow out at angles in the attempt to gain a tree that goes straight up from a single trunk.

Studley

wolfram
5th August 2009, 04:30 AM
Wolfram
I'm no botanist so don't take these comments as scientific.
Paulownia grown in a plantation situation do grow straight but only after extensive and regular pruning throughout the first year to develop a trunk. Pruning is carried out in subsequent years to retain this branch free trunk. It's a time consuming task.
The paulownia around my farm that were not in a plantation and allowed to grow 'naturally' are not straight. Branches start about 60 cementres from the base and grow upwards and outwards, like a candle holder, with branches forming on branches. That is like any other tree. The benefit I see with Paulownia is that the leaves on trees in the first year are very large and provide the greenery necessary for the development of the tree. I don't know whether this would happen as well with other species. As I said I am not a botanist.

Hope this helps
John
Hi John, thanks for sharing. As I never been involved in plantation business, I will be doing trial and error here.

From 3 of my guava saplings, all have low branches, about 20 cm above ground. Early on, I planned to prune them after they're larger, but now....

My next experiment would be early pruning as soon as those lateral branches pop out, and putting tarp shade around the saplings.

It crossed my mind, but then you have to think about height adjustment to keep sun exposure from above as the plant grow. Even with large pipe, it would be difficult later when you need to adjust and harvest. Imagine a "trapped" trunk inside a pipe.....

To my knowledge which is thin and limited. When they grow a forest of timber for harvest, pruning is part of the planning. They cut off limbs that grow out at angles in the attempt to gain a tree that goes straight up from a single trunk.

Studley
That's the idea Studley, but many timber species is sturdy tree, not so with guava (I think). It only has small diameter main trunk at 7 month, and the lateral branch are numerous. Can it withstand very aggresive pruning ? I'll find out in my next batch.

glenn k
5th August 2009, 07:08 PM
The more leaves you leave the faster it will grow but, don't let any side branches get to large and remove as soon as practicable. Also make sure they don't develope 2 leaders.
When you cut the branches off cut them off don't leave bits sticking out of the trunk or you will get rapid bud production. But more importantly don't take off any branch collar from the trunk. If they do keep shooting wrap them up to keep the light off. I think it should work for you but you will not get a mill log.

Ashore
5th August 2009, 07:20 PM
6" sewer pipe, cut it length ways First length 30cm longer than the tree is high other sections 50cm long, one hose clamp at the bottom and a cable tie at the top , add the next sections overlapping the lower sections when the tree is 20-cm above the pipe
Bricks at the bottom to stop it falling in the early stages pipe can also be drilled and rope to pegs to give stability
Don't ask :rolleyes:

wolfram
5th August 2009, 09:09 PM
The more leaves you leave the faster it will grow but, don't let any side branches get to large and remove as soon as practicable. Also make sure they don't develope 2 leaders.
When you cut the branches off cut them off don't leave bits sticking out of the trunk or you will get rapid bud production. But more importantly don't take off any branch collar from the trunk. If they do keep shooting wrap them up to keep the light off. I think it should work for you but you will not get a mill log.
Thanks for the input !

By wrapping do you suggest wrapping only the branch collar using tape or wrapping tarp around the saplings ?

I am not hoping for mill log, after all guava is not commercially timber species. I am planning for wood bow and hand plane from the harvest, so 2 M of relatively straight trunk should be enough.

6" sewer pipe, cut it length ways First length 30cm longer than the tree is high other sections 50cm long, one hose clamp at the bottom and a cable tie at the top , add the next sections overlapping the lower sections when the tree is 20-cm above the pipe
Bricks at the bottom to stop it falling in the early stages pipe can also be drilled and rope to pegs to give stability
Don't ask :rolleyes:
Hey, smart topping up system.:2tsup:
Why I didn't think about it earlier ? :doh:
But sewer pipe will cost a lot more than a peg and a tarp although it will relatively more wind resistance.

Nevertheless, now I know what to do next time I saw big sewer pipe chunk at the junkyard.

glenn k
5th August 2009, 10:22 PM
I saw them wrap the trunks with hesian soaked in mud in former East Germany but it's only the bits that are shooting that need to be kept in the dark so what ever is easier.

Ashore
6th August 2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the input !

By wrapping do you suggest wrapping only the branch collar using tape or wrapping tarp around the saplings ?

I am not hoping for mill log, after all guava is not commercially timber species. I am planning for wood bow and hand plane from the harvest, so 2 M of relatively straight trunk should be enough.

Hey, smart topping up system.:2tsup:
Why I didn't think about it earlier ? :doh:
But sewer pipe will cost a lot more than a peg and a tarp although it will relatively more wind resistance.

Nevertheless, now I know what to do next time I saw big sewer pipe chunk at the junkyard.
But the pvc pipe can be used again on the next tree :B

wolfram
12th August 2009, 04:41 AM
Finally I'm removing all low lateral branch on 2 of my guava saplings. I left one for control specimen. Will update you guys if anyone is interested.

gpigeon
12th September 2009, 07:30 AM
Wolfram,
What variety of guava are you growing and for what purpose?
I have 3 varieties in my orchard for my own use only (common names - white, yellow & pink) but very few people acquire the taste for them. I have made some wine from the white one and that was quite nice!
The pink variety has gone wild along the North East coast of Australia but the fruit fly knocks them around a bit.
There was a red type around a few years ago that was planted for the juice industry but I think most of those have now been removed.
The pink type is used in South Africa for canning and juice!
Regards.
Bill W.

wolfram
13th September 2009, 12:10 PM
Hi gpigeon,

Mine was pink and white variety.
The white was local, fruit is soft, but more fragrant than the pink, which is more crispy and coarser in texture. I don't know the variety's name, though (both type acquired from friends).

I have other types, not yet fruiting but said to be seedless.

How did you make wine from guava? I'd love to try it !!!

I grow them for personal fruit supply, you can't beat fruit from your own garden :p
I also intended to use the wood for bow. Haven't find suitable piece yet, though.

soundman
21st September 2009, 12:05 AM
Sounds like a fairly basic structured pruning exercise.

As long as you are persistent at removing lateral growth on a very regular basis you should have no problem achieving a straight trunk.

I've pruned all sorts of things ( from tomatoes to gum trees) in similar way.....I don't see a problem

4 poles and some tarp or cloth will however promote more rapid vertical growth.

cheers