PDA

View Full Version : My practice lidded box.

tea lady
28th July 2009, 04:18 PM
:D Only doing this so I don't have to do all those other things I'm supposed to be getting around to.:rolleyes:

Small bit of red gum. Finial abd foot is a bit of "I-dunno" wood. Finished really nicely off the chisel. Even for me. Lots of little details wrong with it. :doh: Finial is fatter than the foot. Tearout on the finial base. Proportion prolly a bit strange. Foot too narrow.:C Ah well! It is what it is now. First lidded box. Next months box challenge boxes will be an evolution of this. Maybe not in red gum. But if I found more dunno wood that would be good.:rolleyes:

Ozkaban
28th July 2009, 04:26 PM
nice work TL!

I quite like how it all looks. Though I am getting concerned about these challenges where all of these people get time to practice!

Cheers,
Dave

watson
28th July 2009, 04:32 PM
I reckon its a code violation....practice......buga. :D :D

Joking of course......but geez you're into it TL

munruben
28th July 2009, 04:38 PM
Great work TL :2tsup:

wheelinround
28th July 2009, 06:30 PM
:protest2::protest::rulez2:

No other challenge had practice time

Well done TL :2tsup:

unlike my attempt making 2 this past week one disintigrate the other is sitting with a big dob of CA to stabilise another possible blow out :C:doh:

Ad de Crom
28th July 2009, 06:38 PM
Tea lady, for your first lidded box you did a wonderful job.
Points of critique are given by yourself, but as always the first lidded box is the most difficult.
What I like is the box with lid, really lovely.
And with a more delicate finial, and without the pedestal would this lidded box be gorgeous, can't wait to see your next lidded box.
Great job tea lady :2tsup:
Ad :)

jefferson
28th July 2009, 06:53 PM
A nice first try, Tea Lady. You weren't down at 's were you? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll post my Lidded Box (practice only) soon. Completely different. (I tripped in the shed turning the lights out an am paying for it now, more tomorrow! :(( Damn dogs / disorganised shed / bad light switches. )

I am but a novice, but the proportions don't seem right to me. IMHO the base and the finial are all wrong. (Is that too harsh?). And the shape of the box itself changes direction way too quickly.

Withering isn't it? Feedback for my practice box will be along similar lines.....

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th July 2009, 07:16 PM
:D Only doing this so I don't have to do all those other things I'm supposed to be getting around to.:rolleyes:

I can sooo relate to that!

I like the box, particularly the par of beads. For Redgum you done good. Hmmm... are you sure it's your first lidded box? :?

Although I prefer Eliza's type of finials - one's without the UFOs. Disks seem to be an "in thing" at the moment. :rolleyes:

RETIRED
28th July 2009, 07:31 PM
I can sooo relate to that!

I like the box, particularly the par of beads. For Redgum you done good. Hmmm... are you sure it's your first lidded box? :?

Although I prefer Eliza's type of finials - one's without the UFOs. Disks seem to be an "in thing" at the moment. :rolleyes:Must have been "in" 20 years ago when I did the finials for the church but they wanted a "cross" looking top and that is what I came up with. As usual too bloody early or too late.:wink::D

tea lady
28th July 2009, 08:25 PM
A nice first try, Tea Lady. You weren't down at 's were you? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
:no: :think: acshully, did half the box bit in the middle there last week. But did the finial and foot at home today.:p

I am but a novice, but the proportions don't seem right to me. IMHO the base and the finial are all wrong. (Is that too harsh?). And the shape of the box itself changes direction way too quickly. Isn't that what I said. With the box was just getting use to what I could do. (Even did some of 's "back turning" but liked using the detail gouge, ah-la Ken W, better. Definately got to get me one of those. And maybe some smaller tools.:C ) Will be a bit more dictatorial with the shape on the next one. :whip:

Withering isn't it? Feedback for my practice box will be along similar lines.....:devil:

mick61
28th July 2009, 10:13 PM
G`day Tea lady good effort for your first box. Can I make a suggestion have a look around at the shapes of the containers in your kitchen(jars etc) it will give you a good idea of proportion then add your touch and a finial to the top and bobs your aunty.
Mick:D

jefferson
28th July 2009, 10:26 PM
:devil:

Tea Lady, I didn't mean to upset you. Fact is, you turn better than I do.

That's OK, it's not a race. Not for me anyway. I'm just hoping I can make something you can sell for your chosen charity.

But I do think that you need to sell all that pottery stuff, get a decent lathe, some decent chisels and a good sharpening system and you'll be ahead of almost all on the Board in no time. :D:D:D:2tsup::2tsup:

And don't listen to all of the time. :wink: He's become way too aggressive now that he sharpens on the Tormek. :D:D

Danger, danger.....

tea lady
28th July 2009, 10:50 PM
Tea Lady, I didn't mean to upset you. Fact is, you turn better than I do.:doh: I'm not upset. 'Tis meant to be a devil getting evil ideas.

That's OK, it's not a race. Not for me anyway. I'm just hoping I can make something you can sell for your chosen charity. Not sure we are going down the charity route. We are just sharing a learning experience.:cool:

But I do think that you need to sell all that pottery stuff, get a decent lathe, some decent chisels and a good sharpening system and you'll be ahead of almost all on the Board in no time.
:CSell the pottery stuff?:no: But I can't !!!! :think: Not that I've done any since last year.:doh: Anyway, I'm still not sure where this road is going.

And don't listen to all of the time. :wink: He's become way too aggressive now that he sharpens on the Tormek.

Danger, danger.....Danger Will Ribonson. :robotwavingarmsaround:

:D:D

Rattrap
29th July 2009, 10:24 AM
Very delicate looking piece of work, well done TL. I've only just started delving into lathe work & am yet to try my hand at a lidded box. Can i ask, are the finals turned with the base & top or are they turned separately & glued on after???

tea lady
29th July 2009, 10:33 AM
Very delicate looking piece of work, well done TL. I've only just started delving into lathe work & am yet to try my hand at a lidded box. Can i ask, are the finals turned with the base & top or are they turned separately & glued on after???These ones are turned separately. I was going to have more of a contrast in the woods, with black finial bits, but it didn't work out that way. Also a bit easier not to have to contend with the finial on the jam chuck. :shrug:

ElizaLeahy
29th July 2009, 11:12 AM
You know, if you turned the beads off the finial I think it would be nice. I like it, but they unbalance it.

tea lady
29th July 2009, 11:19 AM
You know, if you turned the beads off the finial I think it would be nice. I like it, but they unbalance it.:shrug: I did 'em as an exercise. Will work on their placement and proportion on the next ones. Can't change this one now. It is what it is. :cool: Maybe I'll turn lots of finlials to try.:)

Rattrap
29th July 2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks tea lady. Next time you are doing some how bout a few WIP pics please??
I kinda agree with Eliza re the saucer shaped beads but then as u say they are practice.

Gil Jones
29th July 2009, 03:38 PM
Hey, anne-maria,
that is a very cool lidded bowl:2tsup:.

KenW
29th July 2009, 04:17 PM
:shrug: I did 'em as an exercise. Will work on their placement and proportion on the next ones. Can't change this one now. It is what it is. :cool: Maybe I'll turn lots of finlials to try.:)
I have to agree, the disks on the finial are too large. Seeing this is a practice piece, put the lid back in the lathe and remove them. Red Gum isn't any good for detail work.

jefferson
29th July 2009, 04:39 PM
I have to agree, the disks on the finial are too large. Seeing this is a practice piece, put the lid back in the lathe and remove them. Red Gum isn't any good for detail work.

Ken, I don't quite agree with you about the redgum. The old-growth stuff from the base of the tree seems to hold some detail OK. Maybe it's your poor chisel control that is complicating the problem???? :D:D

tea lady
29th July 2009, 05:08 PM
I have to agree, the disks on the finial are too large. Seeing this is a practice piece, put the lid back in the lathe and remove them. Red Gum isn't any good for detail work.Only the box bit is red gum. The finials are some kind of quite hard, fine grained eucalypt.

I like the unbalancedness. :shrug: "just wait till I grow into my beads.":D I think what is acyually makin git look unbalanced is the narrow foot. Anyway, This one is what it is. Stuffed up the thickness on the lid too.:doh: Next one will be better.:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th July 2009, 05:19 PM
Next one will be better.:cool:

:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
29th July 2009, 06:05 PM
Only the box bit is red gum. The finials are some kind of quite hard, fine grained eucalypt.

I like the unbalancedness. :shrug: "just wait till I grow into my beads.":D I think what is acyually makin git look unbalanced is the narrow foot. Anyway, This one is what it is. Stuffed up the thickness on the lid too.:doh: Next one will be better.:cool:

This is exactly what I mean. Tea Lady has a great eye, her pottery is amazing and shows us that. We disagree about this bead - but it's not a matter of rigth or wrong, but rather what one person likes and another doesn't.

You stick to your guns TL!!!!

:)

KenW
29th July 2009, 06:32 PM
Only the box bit is red gum. The finials are some kind of quite hard, fine grained eucalypt.

If you like the box, thats all that matters. I am only giving my opinion, for what it's worth. Kitchen Quality Control just had a look at your box, her opinion, remove disks on finial and base.
We all see things differently, the way it should be.

tea lady
30th July 2009, 12:06 AM
If you like the box, thats all that matters. I am only giving my opinion, for what it's worth. Kitchen Quality Control just had a look at your box, her opinion, remove disks on finial and base.
We all see things differently, the way it should be.You are proly right about the disks. :shrug: But as I say, this one is what it is. Its also just gonna sit on the shed window sill.

Sometimes with my pottery , if something is not working I'l drop the thing I'm maybe too attached to in the design. I think I saw a box somewhere with those disks in the stem. Hey its my first one. Onwards and upwards. Maybe the stem and finial need to be longer so there is room for the twiddly bits. :think: And I'll make the box form relate more to the twiddly bits. :cool: And try one without twiddly bits.:rolleyes::D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th July 2009, 12:14 AM
Onwards and upwards. Maybe the stem and finial need to be longer so there is room for the twiddly bits. :think: And I'll make the box form relate more to the twiddly bits. :cool: And try one without twiddly bits.:rolleyes::D

I'll often put a disk on the stem on my little boxes, but I keep the stem itself fairly plain. Otherwise it can become "cluttered" in such a short space. But I prefer short stems on lidded boxes; any time I turn a long stem, it always seems to want to become another goblet. :p

For the finial, I try to make it a tapered spire (sort of) so that the foot of the bowl, the rim of the disk on the stem and the finial form the lines of a cone piercing the bowl. If you know what I mean?

I don't think I have any successful ones here I can show you... they're the ones that find new homes as soon as they come off the lathe. :)

On the other hand, I've shelves full of failures that are good examples of when I haven't managed to get the right lines... :rolleyes:)

tea lady
30th July 2009, 12:48 AM
For the finial, I try to make it a tapered spire (sort of) so that the foot of the bowl, the rim of the disk on the stem and the finial form the lines of a cone piercing the bowl. If you know what I mean?

:cool: Yes! I understand.:2tsup: Next one tomorrow. Oh! But We're not supposed to start till Saturday!:doh:

Ed Reiss
30th July 2009, 12:08 PM
:cool: Yes! I understand.:2tsup: Next one tomorrow. Oh! But We're not supposed to start till Saturday!:doh:

...hell, what are they gonna' do, shoot ya' :o ...oh wait, you'll get chastised by Eliza:doh::D

ElizaLeahy
30th July 2009, 12:24 PM
Practice.. practice ...

I haven't had time to turn on my lathe for DAYS!!!!!!!!!

:(

tea lady
30th July 2009, 07:00 PM
Didn't do boxes today. Did handles for my new chisels.:cool: Half done. Finish them tomorrow. :2tsup:

Then Box @ 2! You thought THESE finials were crowded.:D

mick61
30th July 2009, 08:06 PM
G`day IMHO beauty is in the eye of the beholder. By the end of this event we will see a great range of boxes all shapes and sizes some will appeal to the masses and some will not but they will all find a spot in someones heart. Simplicity appeals to some technical brilliace appeals to others shape to others.

P.S G`Day Ken How much effort will you be putting in to your box? Will you be doing a WIP?

KenW
31st July 2009, 06:51 PM
G`day IMHO beauty is in the eye of the beholder. By the end of this event we will see a great range of boxes all shapes and sizes some will appeal to the masses and some will not but they will all find a spot in someones heart. Simplicity appeals to some technical brilliace appeals to others shape to others.

P.S G`Day Ken How much effort will you be putting in to your box? Will you be doing a WIP?
Mic, I'm playing with a new, simple box. If I manage to make one I will post It.
If I understand the rules, we only get a month to make it, what can I make in that short a time?

tea lady
31st July 2009, 07:33 PM
Mic, I'm playing with a new, simple box. If I manage to make one I will post It.
If I understand the rules, we only get a month to make it, what can I make in that short a time?:rolleyes: Maybe only sand to 800#:p

jefferson
31st July 2009, 07:34 PM
If I understand the rules, we only get a month to make it, what can I make in that short a time?
So Ken, it won't be a Carriage then? :wink:

No excuses, I am part of the Novice Judging Panel and you and the other experts need to be up to it. :D:D

tea lady
31st July 2009, 09:56 PM
So Ken, it won't be a Carriage then? :wink:

No excuses, I am part of the Novice Judging Panel and you and the other experts need to be up to it. :D:DNo competition here jefferson. You'll have to run yur own challenge if you want judging. ''Acshully their was a mention of a crit session wasn't there.:doh: Trouble with crit sessions is that you have to say stuff about other people's work.:C

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st July 2009, 09:58 PM
But there's nothing to say you have to read the crits. :p

powderpost
31st July 2009, 11:43 PM
Started my box. Bit early but I got an excuse. The circular saw had a bite at my left hand. Working with one hand at present.
Jim

Ed Reiss
31st July 2009, 11:48 PM
...ouch !! :o did it actually jump up and bite you, or did you go to pet it and it bit you ??

Hopefully not too serious.

powderpost
31st July 2009, 11:53 PM
Oldest story in the book Ed, late in the day and last cut. Really should have not been there. No major damage, just took the nail off a finger. Hurt like hell too.
Jim

tea lady
1st August 2009, 11:19 AM
Oldest story in the book Ed, late in the day and last cut. Really should have not been there. No major damage, just took the nail off a finger. Hurt like hell too.
Jim:oo: Well that would have woken you up again. Its hard to stop BEFORE you are too tired.:doh: Can you still hold a chisel? :C

Look after yourself.:)

powderpost
1st August 2009, 06:45 PM
Yep, can hold a chisel again. Thanks for your concern.
Jim

ElizaLeahy
1st August 2009, 06:53 PM
Started my box. Bit early but I got an excuse. The circular saw had a bite at my left hand. Working with one hand at present.
Jim

OH NO!!!!

Those things, not safe. You gotta be more careful!

It's good to know you are ok to turn though.

Don't get any blood on the wood.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st August 2009, 06:57 PM
OUCH!

Sounds like you were lucky... lucky that it only took your nail off, painful as that would be. Let's hope that's as bad as it gets!

I trust that you cleaned the CS blade before packing up for the day? Wouldn't want it to get rusty now, would we? :innocent:

powderpost
1st August 2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah Skew, could have been a LOT worse. July last year I had 5mm trimmed off the index finger, left hand. July this year had the finger nail trimmed. Going to cancel out July next year.
First close encounter with a circular saw in more than 50 years... not too bad I reckon. I can report there was no staining of timber and no rusting of saw blade or bench...:wink:
Jim