PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box no. 10

jefferson
28th July 2009, 07:32 PM
I've been less than flattering with Tea Lady's practice box, so here is mine. Not as much detail, but I did try....:)

I cracked the lidded ever-so-slightly on the jam chuck, but can fix tomorrow.

This time, I turned the base first, then the top. I don't know why, but I prefer to do it that way. Everyone else seems to turn the lid first, but I like to see the main shape first rather than just the lid.

As always, a learning experience.

1. Be careful with the jam chuck. If it's too tight, the wood will split.

2. The beads are all wrong.

3. The lid detail isn't right.

4. As much as I like the E-Beaut stuff, friction heat isn't a good idea on thin boxes.

I did the bottom (very bad beads) with the parting tool at 45 degrees, then sanded. The top two I turned with the spindle gouge and almost got it right.

Redgum is nice, but it doesn't hold detail that well.

Anything else I missed?

This one is a version of a "collector's box" from one of my books.

RETIRED
28th July 2009, 07:38 PM
I would have made the bottom beads the same as the top 2. Placed together I mean.

The top seems to "flare" at the top. It should either be parallel or if flared make it obvious.

RETIRED
28th July 2009, 07:41 PM
Good job otherwise Grasshopper.:D

jefferson
28th July 2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks, . Of course, you are quite right. I've just got to learn to turn matching beads.... :rolleyes:

Good feedback and my thanks.

RETIRED
28th July 2009, 07:43 PM
BTW. Stop falling over or protect the spoils better when you land.:D

Ad de Crom
28th July 2009, 08:34 PM
Jeff, for sure this lidded box challenge is very very nice.
Saw Tea Lady lidded box, and now yours.
Hey these beads aren't bad, you put nice detail work on the box as well as on the lid.
I'm agree with you first the box, and than the lid.
I like your lidded box, quite a challenge to make it that way.
Ad :2tsup:

tea lady
28th July 2009, 08:53 PM
Jeff, for sure this lidded box challenge is very very nice.
Saw Tea Lady lidded box, and now yours.

Ad :2tsup:These ar ejust the practice ones Ad.:D Just wait till you see the real ones.:cool:
Very nice Jeff. (I'm not as nasty as you.:p ) At least your box looks like you could pick it up and look at it without breaking it.

Do you want crit thoughts? :think: I don't mind the two bottom beads where they are, but the very bottom one seems wider than the rest and does not seem as rolled under as the others either, making the box look as if it VERY glued to the table. The top could be slightly more flared as suggested, just so it looks more like you meant it.:D I love the finish, but any finer work is really hard to do shellawax on isn't it. :doh: I just slapped on white shellac on mine, but I'm not that happy with it. :C Don't know what else I could try. Have put Shithot Wax on a few things and it goes in easier with less elbow grease, but if you are making bits to join together you can't put wax all over them can you? :doh:

jefferson
28th July 2009, 09:46 PM
These ar ejust the practice ones Ad.:D Just wait till you see the real ones.:cool:
Very nice Jeff. (I'm not as nasty as you.:p ) At least your box looks like you could pick it up and look at it without breaking it.

Do you want crit thoughts? :think: I don't mind the two bottom beads where they are, but the very bottom one seems wider than the rest and does not seem as rolled under as the others either, making the box look as if it VERY glued to the table. The top could be slightly more flared as suggested, just so it looks more like you meant it.:D I love the finish, but any finer work is really hard to do shellawax on isn't it. :doh: I just slapped on white shellac on mine, but I'm not that happy with it. :C Don't know what else I could try. Have put Shithot Wax on a few things and it goes in easier with less elbow grease, but if you are making bits to join together you can't put wax all over them can you? :doh:

No, Tea Lady, I'm not nasty. Or I try not to be. :B Forgive me I have been, please. (Apparently you have an old chisel or two of mine, so let's say we're all square. :wink:)

I think, like most new turners, that we all know where we went wrong - my beads for example. But I really do like the honest feedback I get whenever I post something I've turned. (The touchy-feely stuff is nice on WOW, but the maker is rarely if ever criticised. And that's not good. )

Aside from the techical deficiencies with the beads, there appears to be contrasting views about their placement. That's OK.

I forgot to fess up and say that there is a little dimple in the base. I must learn how to fix that! :((

As for the flared top - I agree 100%. Problem was that I'd already done the base and the tolerances were getting too fine. Another lesson learnt.

Again, it's just Box no 10. A bin job, but I sure enjoyed turning it over a few mid-strength beers. (I wasn't drunk when I fell in the dark either - it was either the dog or the mess in the main part of the workshop that tripped me up).

I'll get onto the Challenge as soon as my new specs arrive. Expect some finials. The piece will be called Incarceration. I just hope I can finish it in time.....

jefferson
28th July 2009, 09:49 PM
BTW. Stop falling over or protect the spoils better when you land.:D

Don't worry, , I busted my hip and arm up a little but manage to keep the 1st (or was it the second?) VB can intact.

You'll keep old son. :D So how are the Ken W boxes going for the Challenge? :p

mick61
28th July 2009, 09:49 PM
G`day Jeff nice box.:2tsup:
Mick:D

orificiam
28th July 2009, 09:50 PM
:2tsup:Good Job on the box Jeff.I like it.---Yes I'm one of those who does the Lid first. but hey what ever you're comfortable with.
Cheers Tony.:)

texx
28th July 2009, 09:51 PM
i have never made one ( or if i have i dont remember it ) so when i get 5 minutes to spare i will have to knock one up .:U:U

RETIRED
28th July 2009, 09:53 PM
The piece will be called Incarceration.Maybe should be called incineration?:rofl:

;

Calm
28th July 2009, 10:00 PM
:mods::shutup3::rulez2::banhim3::banhim:

Ok Jeff now for some possitive feedback - not the rubbish that comes before me.:p:p:p:D

I like the 2 beads at the top, i thnk the bottom beads should be together but i am not sure if the top one is in the right spot or the bottom one. (so i dont know if you need to lift the bottom one or drop the top one)

The flare at the top i think is just enough to get people to go - i think that is slioghtly flared - but they arent sure.

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

jefferson
28th July 2009, 10:11 PM
Maybe should be called incineration?

;

This little Grasshopper will turn into a locust one day, , so be warned. :D

And again, how are your boxes going for the Challenge?

And don't say that your tripping all over the country doing demos either. We want some quality product. And, as I've said before, the bar is much, much higher for those that have been turning 30 years! :p:p

Ok Jeff now for some possitive feedback - not the rubbish that comes before me.:p:p:p:D

I like the 2 beads at the top, i thnk the bottom beads should be together but i am not sure if the top one is in the right spot or the bottom one. (so i dont know if you need to lift the bottom one or drop the top one)

The flare at the top i think is just enough to get people to go - i think that is slioghtly flared - but they arent sure.

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

Thanks, David. I really should have taken more notice of the beads that DJ did on his redgum grinders. The beads matched at the join, with a matching pair of beads at the base. I just forgot - you guys/ gals simply over-load me with information.

BTW - the piece is 70 odd mill tall by 50 odd wide. Maybe 1.5-2mm thick, which is as thin as I have done thus far. I does look better than in the photos.

texx
28th July 2009, 10:28 PM
i like it a lot .
it has a warm and kind of heirloom type look about it makes you want to pick it up
and its art so the beads are where they are because thats where you put them and there is no right or wrong place for them there is only where you want them :2tsup:

tea lady
28th July 2009, 10:43 PM
No, Tea Lady, I'm not nasty. Or I try not to be. :B Forgive me I have been, please. (Apparently you have an old chisel or two of mine, so let's say we're all square. :wink:)

I'm sorry Jefferson. Don't really think you're nasty.:C Just being factitious, but the smiley must have got left off.:doh: Thanks for the chisel cast offs. The smaller skew is coming in handy.:cool: I seem to have also ended up with a continental spindle gouge that I really like too.:2tsup: :kissyou:

ElizaLeahy
29th July 2009, 11:10 AM
yeah, it's awful. Send it to me, that way you won't have to keep looking at it.

;)

KenW
29th July 2009, 04:09 PM
Jeff, my turn to comment.
I think you have done a great job, best looking bucket I have seen for some time (except you forgot the handle).
The bottom needs some shape, like a hollow form. As said, the lid needs more flare out at the top. If you have trouble placing beads, don't use them. If you had only one bead at the bottom, there wouldn't be any placement issues. Or if the bottom had more shape a lower bead wouldn't be needed.
This box is much better than the last, you are traveling in the right direction. Keep up the good work.
I always make the base of a box first.

jefferson
29th July 2009, 04:30 PM
Ken W., you are a cheeky sod! :D

The box was loosely designed on the "collector's box" from the 50 boxes book.

But a bucket? Surely, it's not that bad.

I don't like the jam chuck approach that you and others have taught me. Those nylon Vicmarc jaws make the task so much easier.

I've fixed the problem, for now at least. (He's got to turn a complicated box for the Tea Lday Challenge). Production turner indeed. :wink:

And now I'm after you...... :D:D

So watch it.

The new specs will be here Friday, so I will be copying your work as best I can. Sue me if I breach copyright. :)

I've got the chisels sharp and waiting to go.

KenW
29th July 2009, 07:05 PM
Ken W., you are a cheeky sod! :D

The box was loosely designed on the "collector's box" from the 50 boxes book.

But a bucket? Surely, it's not that bad.

I don't like the jam chuck approach that you and others have taught me. Those nylon Vicmarc jaws make the task so much easier.

I've fixed the problem, for now at least. (He's got to turn a complicated box for the Tea Lday Challenge). Production turner indeed. :wink:

And now I'm after you...... :D:D

So watch it.

The new specs will be here Friday, so I will be copying your work as best I can. Sue me if I breach copyright. :)

I've got the chisels sharp and waiting to go.
Learn to master jam chucks, as you make thinner and more difficult boxes you will find Nylon jaws are not accurate enough, and you will need too many sets.
Don't take shortcuts.
I don't get a lot of people copying my work, you can be the first, if you need a copy of my drawings let me know.

jefferson
29th July 2009, 07:40 PM
Learn to master jam chucks, as you make thinner and more difficult boxes you will find Nylon jaws are not accurate enough, and you will need too many sets.
Don't take shortcuts.
I don't get a lot of people copying my work, you can be the first, if you need a copy of my drawings let me know.

Ken, I didn't use the nylon jaws on this box. I just made the lid fit on the jam chuck a little tight and it cracked, ever so slightly.

I'm taking as many shortcuts as I can to make the journey a little easier - my apologies. (If I have all the gear, who or what else can I blame?)

And the box I intend to copy of yours is that little one you did at 's place out of Dead Finish (that KQC said to bin). I don't need any drawing for that "simple" box. But I will do it better..... Afterall, I have many hours to waste. :D:D:D The finial will challenge me no doubt.