PDA

View Full Version : glue solid timber edge strip/reinforcement to melamine?

mhewitt
29th July 2009, 09:52 AM
g'day -
i'm building some pantry shelves from melamine sheet and want to edge them with a rabbeted strip of timber to edge and reinforce it

but what glue will work?

Pusser
29th July 2009, 11:09 AM
Any PVA will work.

mhewitt
29th July 2009, 06:57 PM
Any PVA will work.

Umm, really?

Just to be clear - the melamine sheet will not be edge banded; the rabbet will support the sheet and the top of the edge strip will finish flush with the top of the melamine.

The edge strip will therefore be glued to the cut edge of the melamine and a small edge of melamine.

Will PVA really bind melamine to timber?

Master Splinter
29th July 2009, 09:02 PM
Are we talking melamine faced chipboard (16mm, melamine foil on each side)?

If so, then the 16mm of exposed chipboard edge provides plenty of gluing surface for a PVA adhesive for a wood to wood join.

If not (and I'm at a loss to figure out what else you could be doing), then an epoxy adhesive applied to an 80-grit sanded melamine surface will be the best glue option.

mhewitt
30th July 2009, 09:07 PM
Are we talking melamine faced chipboard (16mm, melamine foil on each side)?

If so, then the 16mm of exposed chipboard edge provides plenty of gluing surface for a PVA adhesive for a wood to wood join.

If not (and I'm at a loss to figure out what else you could be doing), then an epoxy adhesive applied to an 80-grit sanded melamine surface will be the best glue option.

yes, that's exactly what i'm doing

ok; you guys have convinced me

thanks

paul k
6th August 2009, 01:11 AM
I used contact adhesive for all the baltic pine trims for my kitchen cupbards that was 8 years ago and they still remain steadfast . I just coated both surfaces and allowed the appropriate time to tack off , end of job . They where only 3mm in thickness . I am not sure if the thickness makes a differance .

paul , k