PDA

View Full Version : Red gum fence posts?

tea lady
29th July 2009, 11:04 AM
Dumb question allert.:rolleyes: Are NEW red gum fence posts OK for turning? Are they treated with anything? Like.....are they food safe? Are they green? :? "blond"

If they aren't OK, where can I get some that is? Mathews timber I guess?:rolleyes::)

echnidna
29th July 2009, 11:09 AM
Redgum fence posts are not treated.
Forget about using new ones they are green and take years to season.
Most turners source old fence posts
(old house stumps are also good, you might source these from a demo yard)

There are often old posts on ebay

Another source of short lengths of redgum is from a firewood supplier

tea lady
29th July 2009, 11:14 AM
Sigh: I really gotta hang out at the pub more don't I? :doh: Anyone got any old fence posts? :D

rrobor
29th July 2009, 11:24 AM
You can buy the post and dry, If you barn dry the average rate is 2.5cm a year so your post would be fine in 3 or 4 years. Or do as I do and buy it in early winter to barn dry, stack it on a trolley and in summer wheel it round to the air conditioner fan to finish it off.

tea lady
29th July 2009, 11:28 AM
You can buy the post and dry, If you barn dry the average rate is 2.5cm a year so your post would be fine in 3 or 4 years. Or do as I do and buy it in early winter to barn dry, stack it on a trolley and in summer wheel it round to the air conditioner fan to finish it off.So I might buy some now for later, but I need some (Well, only one or two) for now. :think: Might wander down to the tip recycle place in Scorsby. :cool:

Calm
29th July 2009, 11:51 AM
Yep got about 20 old house stumps about 500 out of the ground.

about 100 5 x 3 rectangle redgum fence posts (horse yards)

and about 30 normal fence posts never used.

Oh nearly forgot the sleeper backs about 50 of them some up to 6 inches thick.

Yep all been around over 20 years so i reckon they are dry.

Thats a thought i could go out to the shed and make something out of redgum on the STUBBY:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

jefferson
29th July 2009, 12:28 PM
Well get out in the shed Calm!!

What about a nice little box? I know you can do bowls and platters.... :rolleyes:

martrix
29th July 2009, 12:28 PM
theres always some for sale on ebay,....http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Firewood-Redgum-Posts_W0QQitemZ140335936087QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Building_Materials?hash=item20acac7257&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:1|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50

After some elbow grease, there's some good timber to be found. I made this out of fencepost's.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112184&stc=1&d=1248830821

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112185&stc=1&d=1248830898

rsser
29th July 2009, 12:45 PM
Nice timber there Matrix.

Just a heads-up about stumps. They can be damp straight out of the ground so give 'em a few months drying. DAMHIKT!

Another source of posts is suburban fencing contractors. They used to toss them on the nature strip; now they use or sell them for burning for heaven's sake. If you see a contractor onsite you can score one or two cheap or free.

thefixer
29th July 2009, 12:53 PM
My house is on very old red gum stumps. If you buy me some concrete ones I'll swap you 1 for 1.:D:D
Cheers
Shorty

jefferson
29th July 2009, 12:58 PM
My house was on redgum stumps until a few weeks back. $12K for the job too, so I'm keeping the stumps for myself. :D And, as Ern cautioned, they are a little damp.

tea lady
29th July 2009, 05:22 PM
Very noice thing there Matrix. :cool: I got a few small bitsa from Knox woodworkers wood pile. Will go and check out the hardware shop Friday for the "for later" posts. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th July 2009, 06:04 PM
I think I have a few old redgum house stumps laying around. They were under the house for 100+ years, so they were well cured. And dry. Hard as rock, too... :~ (They're what I learned about sharpening on!)

I certainly hope I have them, anyway. I tossed a few cubic metres of my wood stash during the move :C and although they were ear-marked to come along I can't say I've seen them lately.

They might've been nabbed by one of the fire-wood collectors at the old place, or they could be at the bottom of one the stacks here. Dunno, 'til I go hunting.

If I find it, how much do you want?

(SSSSH! I'm hunting wedgum! Hehehehehehe!)
ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Calm
29th July 2009, 06:22 PM
...................If I find it, how much do you want?

|

Andy dont give her any - play the game right will you - you only have to tell her how much you have so she thinks she is the only one without some.:o:o:o:D:D:p:p

Cheers

KenW
29th July 2009, 06:43 PM
Nice timber there Matrix.

Just a heads-up about stumps. They can be damp straight out of the ground so give 'em a few months drying. DAMHIKT!

Another source of posts is suburban fencing contractors. They used to toss them on the nature strip; now they use or sell them for burning for heaven's sake. If you see a contractor onsite you can score one or two cheap or free.
Fencing contractors know what Red Gum is good for.
After seeing the great piece made by Martrix, I might have to change my mind about Red Gum. No, not for turning.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th July 2009, 06:49 PM
Old Redgum can make for beautiful turnings. Esp. the ancient, almost black stuff.

It's just no good for anything with lids or where final dimensions are critical. :shrug:

KenW
29th July 2009, 06:55 PM
Old Redgum can make for beautiful turnings. Esp. the ancient, almost black stuff.

It's just no good for anything with lids or where final dimensions are critical. :shrug:
Get the right piece of Ancient Red Gum, and it will take fine detail and stay stable.

texx
29th July 2009, 06:57 PM
old house stumps could of been sprayed a dozen times by the local flick man

jefferson
29th July 2009, 07:42 PM
Fencing contractors know what Red Gum is good for.
After seeing the great piece made by Martrix, I might have to change my mind about Red Gum. No, not for turning.

Snob! :D:D:D

issatree
29th July 2009, 08:34 PM
Hi Tea Lady,
If you buy a green post, rough turn whatever you're making. You will need fairly good Scales to weigh your piece, write the weight, maybe in Grams on the wood, & Microwave it to ; 1 Minute to every 100 Grams. Weigh it again, & write again. So when the weight becomes Stable, it is dry. You Should be able to dry it in one day. You will have to wait for it to cool down a bit between each M/wave go.
Regards,
issatree.

rivergum
29th July 2009, 09:07 PM
hi tea lady there is some redgum fence posts on ebay at the moment that mite
be some use to you
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fire-Wood_W0QQitemZ260453525147QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Building_Materials?hash=item3ca43d669b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A5

tea lady
29th July 2009, 11:47 PM
I think I have a few old redgum house stumps laying around. They were under the house for 100+ years, so they were well cured. And dry. Hard as rock, too... :~ (They're what I learned about sharpening on!)

I certainly hope I have them, anyway. I tossed a few cubic metres of my wood stash during the move :C and although they were ear-marked to come along I can't say I've seen them lately.

They might've been nabbed by one of the fire-wood collectors at the old place, or they could be at the bottom of one the stacks here. Dunno, 'til I go hunting.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
112205Thanks Skew. I found some today that is tiding me over for a bit. I can at least make the samples for my get rich quick scheme. (I know! I know! It will never work!!!:doh: But you've got to keep trying don't you.:C:D ) Maybe I should find out what it costs if you pay proper money for it, and cost it out accordingly. :think:

hi tea lady there is some redgum fence posts on ebay at the moment that mite
be some use to you
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fire-Wood_W0QQitemZ260453525147QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Building_Materials?hash=item3ca43d669b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A5
:2tsup: Local and everything. But sunce its listed under firewood it migt end up a lot dearer in 4 dyas time. Will have to keep an eye on it. :pi:

metricky
1st August 2009, 11:24 PM
Hi Tea Lady,
thought you might be interested in this

NeilS
1st August 2009, 11:45 PM
old house stumps could of been sprayed a dozen times by the local flick man

:whs: ...and if very old they may have been sprayed with some very nasty stuff in earlier times.

Bridge and wharf timber may also be suspect. Farm fence posts are far less likely to have been sprayed. And, railway sleepers have been drenched with other 'stuff'...:rolleyes:

But, old red gum can come up a treat and I find that anything I make with it sells quite well.

Neil

tea lady
1st August 2009, 11:58 PM
Hi Tea Lady,
thought you might be interested in this:C Is that just so I can get dribble on my key board? Meany.:saddest:

:p

...and if very old they may have been sprayed with some very nasty stuff in earlier times.

Bridge and wharf timber may also be suspect. Farm fence posts are far less likely to have been sprayed. And, railway sleepers have been drenched with other 'stuff'...:rolleyes:

But, old red gum can come up a treat and I find that anything I make with it sells quite well.

Neil:think: So maybe if I want to make stuff that will be used for food I'd better get stuff from proper places so I can by sure I won't kill anyone.:doh: (Nice lidded box BTW. Gonna be in our Challenge? :cool::D )

kdm
2nd August 2009, 08:56 AM
And be very careful not to breath the dust.

NeilS
2nd August 2009, 12:29 PM
Nice lidded box BTW. Gonna be in our Challenge? :cool::D )

Thanks for the invite TL, but a the moment I'm feeling challenged enough with my other projects without getting into finials, which aren't really my thing! Not that I don't admire the fine work that Ken and others do. It's just not for me.

Neil

tea lady
2nd August 2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the invite TL, but a the moment I'm feeling challenged enough with my other projects without getting into finials, which aren't really my thing! Not that I don't admire the fine work that Ken and others do. It's just not for me.

NeilFinials are optional. :D

quercus
6th August 2009, 10:28 PM
I have some old posts at the moment if you want a few, bit of paint on them, send me a PM, you will just need to come get them from North Melbourne and pass on a couple of woodturning tips to me.

tea lady
6th August 2009, 10:32 PM
I have some old posts at the moment if you want a few, bit of paint on them, send me a PM, you will just need to come get them from North Melbourne and pass on a couple of woodturning tips to me.Dunno if I've got much woodturning knowledge worth a hill of beans, let alone a red gum fence post or two.:C But hey! I;m willin gif you are. Weekends or during the week? :cool: (I also swap pottery for wood. And even money on occasion.:D:rolleyes: )

jefferson
6th August 2009, 10:55 PM

Neil

Neil, somehow I think you are midway between and Ken W. That is, production turner v. the Anal one.

I think it's a good compromise. And your comments / thoughts / feedback about all things related to turning are always helpful.

IMHO, boxes are either "arty" or "useful". And some in between. The problems for me is that I have 100+metres of 4 by 4 redgum that - apparently - isn't well suited to lidded boxes. :oo:

tea lady
6th August 2009, 10:58 PM
IMHO, boxes are either "arty" or "useful". And some in between. The problems for me is that I have 100+metres of 4 by 4 redgum that - apparently - isn't well suited to lidded boxes. :oo:Maybe I could "gradually" buy it off you? :cool: I have to see if my project comes off first though.:)

jefferson
6th August 2009, 11:09 PM
Tea Lady,

I'm bringing some redgum slabs down to 's place soon (for platters, which he does very well) and promise to bring some 4 by 4 down for you. Sharpen you chisels beforehard though, some of it is reasonably hard and dusty.

tea lady
7th August 2009, 12:01 AM
Tea Lady,

I'm bringing some redgum slabs down to 's place soon (for platters, which he does very well) and promise to bring some 4 by 4 down for you. Sharpen you chisels beforehard though, some of it is reasonably hard and dusty.:cool: I'm getting use to it. I've got this really weird shade of suntan some days.:rolleyes: ( Are you on the way to Nerandera? :? Going up there with my sister next weekend,) ( for the Guinea Pig nationals. Don't tell anyone. :secret: ):cool:

Sawdust Maker
7th August 2009, 09:20 AM
What does Marie Basher (the NSW Governor) and my dad have in common?

They were both born in Narrandera - but I didn't know it was the guinea pig capital of the southern hemisphere

NeilS
7th August 2009, 09:38 AM
Neil, somehow I think you are midway between and Ken W.

Chuffed to think that anyone would consider me to vaguely anywhere near either luminary in the woodturning firmament...:)

Neil

jefferson
7th August 2009, 10:18 AM
:cool: I'm getting use to it. I've got this really weird shade of suntan some days.:rolleyes: ( Are you on the way to Nerandera? :? Going up there with my sister next weekend,) ( for the Guinea Pig nationals. Don't tell anyone. :secret: ):cool:

Tea Lady, it's a bit of a detour but not much. Travel up the Hume to Wodonga, then another 20 kms. Let me know if you're coming.

rodent
7th August 2009, 06:42 PM

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Tea lady im over that way next week with crazy and Im picking some up from my cousin ill drop some over at skews for you ok ? :cool:
Redgum running .

tea lady
7th August 2009, 07:38 PM
What does Marie Basher (the NSW Governor) and my dad have in common?

They were both born in Narrandera - but I didn't know it was the guinea pig capital of the southern hemisphereOnly for one weekend a year. (Hint- Don't eat at the golf club. :doh: )

Tea lady im over that way next week with crazy and Im picking some up from my cousin ill drop some over at skews for you ok ? :cool:
Redgum running .You are going Keiwa? The place must be like bourke street. Everyone goes there.:rolleyes: (Who is crazy? Dumb question round here I guess.:doh:) I may come back through there on the Sunday next weekend. Just have to see if my sister is OK with that. Will have a car full on Guinea pigs.:C

rodent
7th August 2009, 11:55 PM
Only for one weekend a year. (Hint- Don't eat at the golf club. :doh: )

You are going Keiwa? The place must be like bourke street. Everyone goes there.:rolleyes: (Who is crazy? Dumb question round here I guess.:doh:) I may come back through there on the Sunday next weekend. Just have to see if my sister is OK with that. Will have a car full on Guinea pigs.:C
How do you turn Guinea pigs in a lathe ? ( hog wild ?) Is that like a frog in a blender ( my sister want's to know ).

tea lady
8th August 2009, 12:01 AM
How do you turn Guinea pigs in a lathe ? ( hog wild ?) Is that like a frog in a blender ( my sister want's to know ).Yeah! Just a bit more fluffy.:p

rodent
8th August 2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah! Just a bit more fluffy.:p
Flurry any one?:q

tea lady
8th August 2009, 12:15 AM
Flurry any one?:q......... No I can't.:C I just made myself feel sick.:rolleyes:

rodent
8th August 2009, 12:17 AM
better stick to herbal teas then .No more GP pancakes . With sauce .

tea lady
8th August 2009, 12:23 AM
better stick to herbal teas then .No more GP pancakes . With sauce .Might try R pancakes next time. :D Tails will make nice handles.:cool: