PDA

View Full Version : Another Bowl

Reece
31st July 2009, 02:54 PM
Camphor this time, and not sanded nearly as well as the walnut bowl. my finishing is also pretty dodgy (i can only see flaws in my own work, not positives, and i can only ever see positives in others work, not flaws. makes me a terrible critic :U)

tea lady
31st July 2009, 03:23 PM
:cool: Nice little bowl. Yes you can see a few sanding marks. Oh well! Next one better.:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
31st July 2009, 07:10 PM
Reece, good looking bowl, I love the wood as it is very pretty to look at.
Great job :2tsup:
Ad

KenW
31st July 2009, 07:18 PM
Camphor this time, and not sanded nearly as well as the walnut bowl. my finishing is also pretty dodgy (i can only see flaws in my own work, not positives, and i can only ever see positives in others work, not flaws. makes me a terrible critic :U)
Reece, terrible critics make good woodturners. Another nice looking bowl.
Try sanding with the grain, with the lathe stopped, before changing to the next grit.

Reece
31st July 2009, 07:24 PM
Reece, terrible critics make good woodturners. Another nice looking bowl.
Try sanding with the grain, with the lathe stopped, before changing to the next grit.

haven't heard that one before. i'll give it a try. thanks.

Sawdust Maker
31st July 2009, 10:37 PM
Nice bowl - like the grain :2tsup:

Reece
31st July 2009, 11:38 PM
Nice bowl - like the grain :2tsup:

yeah it's a beautiful piece of wood, i was pretty stoked when i found it. you've gotta love camphor and its grain.

Ed Reiss
31st July 2009, 11:42 PM
Reece...Ken's advice is right on.

Another thing to do is this...say you've sanded down to 400, shine a bright light onto the surface, if you still see scratch marks, back up two or three grits and sand again.

Wilco Flier
2nd August 2009, 04:08 AM
:2tsup:Good work, and very beautiful wood

KenW
2nd August 2009, 07:20 PM
Reece...Ken's advice is right on.

Another thing to do is this...say you've sanded down to 400, shine a bright light onto the surface, if you still see scratch marks, back up two or three grits and sand again.
Reece, use the light (good idea) until you think you have a scratch free finish. Then seeing you live where the sun shines a lot, take it outside you will be surprised at the scratches you have missed.

HazzaB
2nd August 2009, 10:49 PM
Hey Reece,

Beauty Bowl, I really like Camphor, the Grain and the Smell when you are turning it:2tsup:, I have bags of shavings all over the place. I am waiting for some blocks to dry a bit then I will do a couple of decent sized bowls.

Mate the scratches are Character, the only ones who see them are us:;. The boys have given you the right ideas on doing better, and you will be supprised how quick that you will finish the next one, just by giving a sand along the grain between each grade of sand paper.

HazzaB

artme
3rd August 2009, 11:05 AM
Great little bowl Reece. Ken is right about the sanding. Also keep a cloth handy to wipe down your work between grits, that way you remove any loose grit.

Texian
3rd August 2009, 01:49 PM
Very nice wood Reece. If you see the flaws, you only need try harder and you will do better.