PDA

View Full Version : My new ergonomic handles.

tea lady
31st July 2009, 10:32 PM
I put handles on my new Thompson bowl gouges this week. I used some wood that had. He said it wad "dunno" wood. Everyone seems to have some of it. He reeved a two 7cm sticks off a slab so that the grain runs straight down the shaft.

For the design I had been thinking of something similar to my mallet that I made a few months ago. This week I had been noticing that my little finger hung off the back of the handle while I was turning. I thought it might be happier with something to hold it. And also, of course, long enough to have my hand sitting on my hip while I am turning. At least on the outside of the bowl. All that changes when you have to do hollowing over the bed. I know Blokes have been making handles for a thousand years or so. Anyway, here they are. My new improved handles. :cool: (You can steel the design, as long as you call them the tea lady handle.:D )

reckoned not to put any finish on them, but could not help myself. They were my first after all. :rolleyes: So they are wiped with hard burnishing oil. The 3/8th gouge is just oiled. I put three lines in the end of the handle so you could tell it was the 3/8th one.The blue wire wound round the end is cos there is a crack down it and hopefully it will hold it for a while. Then I decided I didn't like the colour of the wood and mucked around with some stains. Hitting it with liquid nightmare only made it a kind of chocolate colour, so it then got some mahogany stain. I then thought I might go purple, but you will be pleased to know I couldn't find the blue stain.:rolleyes: It got 4 lines cos its the 1/2inch gouge.

ElizaLeahy
31st July 2009, 10:41 PM
TL I'm about to make my first handle too! For Hughies Junior.

I might steal your design, after all, no one will know...

;)

Sawdust Maker
31st July 2009, 10:43 PM
Mushroom ended handles - sweet :2tsup:

How come you get to turn in your good clobber (pic 4) SWMBO would skin me alive:o

tea lady
31st July 2009, 10:46 PM
Mushroom ended handles - sweet :2tsup:

How come you get to turn in your good clobber (pic 4) SWMBO would skin me alive:ots just a pose for the pic. I thought I better put on the safety mask thought cos SOMEONE will comment.:doh:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st July 2009, 10:47 PM
Just be careful that you don't accidentally drop it on the 'shroom, else it'll probably chip out.

They look good though... comfortable to use?

tea lady
31st July 2009, 11:07 PM
Just be careful that you don't accidentally drop it on the 'shroom, else it'll probably chip out.

They look good though... comfortable to use?Dunno yet. Proper test run tomorrow. Seemed good pretending.:rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
31st July 2009, 11:35 PM
hurry and patent the design 'fore anyone else does :;

Nicely done Anne-Maria :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
1st August 2009, 09:36 AM
hurry and patent the design 'fore anyone else does :;....
Too late.... I already have something similar for my shorter tools. :)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84225&d=1222125327

Sawdust Maker
1st August 2009, 09:46 AM
Cliff
You have shorter tools :o
Actually they look very comfortable to hold, might use the idea in the parting tool I'm making out of a hacksaw blade

Rattrap
1st August 2009, 09:51 AM
Tea Lady in all her glory!
Nice set of handles Anne-Maria well done.

tea lady
1st August 2009, 11:15 AM
Too late.... I already have something similar for my shorter tools. :)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84225&d=1222125327Nah! They're not the same at all. Its gotta come to a narrower diameter so your hand can get behind the handle, but your little finger has got something to hold too. Wonder what will think. I'll get him to test them next time I am down there. He'll prolly say they are to small for his hand.:doh:

Cliff Rogers
1st August 2009, 12:15 PM
I don't have a little finger on my right hand. :D

They are very comfortable handles... for a bloke. :2tsup:

rsser
1st August 2009, 02:55 PM
Longer handles foul the bed when you're hollowing out, at least with the way I was taught. One of mine has a date with the bandsaw.

NeilS
1st August 2009, 03:56 PM
Why more woodturners don't customise their handles to suit their hands/physique puzzles me (as distinct from different patterns to distinguish each tool). Why aren't there endless variations out there of what works best for different people?

It's not a bad idea while learning to start with a standard design (like a Sorby, HT or P&N) that has stood the test of time, but having acquired a degree of technical proficiency I would expect that we would be all customising away to our hands content.

Good one TL.

Neil

tea lady
1st August 2009, 05:04 PM
Longer handles foul the bed when you're hollowing out, at least with the way I was taught. One of mine has a date with the bandsaw.:think: Maybe I'll make a short one for hollowing.:2tsup: When's the next tool bulk buy.:D

tea lady
3rd August 2009, 03:23 PM
Turned with 'em today and they are great. :2tsup: On the hardest bit of ol' red gum that ever lived.:rolleyes: Had to reshape the grind a bit cos I like it a bit more swept back, but its great having tools that are new and long. The mushroom end works really well, although I still ended up with my little finger going off the end of it, cos it is narrower my middle finger has somewhere to go and there is better grip. As in, you don't really have to grip, just keep your fingers that shape and you can push the tool forward with much less effort.:cool: Also works well hollowing out and doesn't seem to get anymore mixed up with the bed as the bowl gouge did before.:D If anything, I think I should have made them a bit bigger. :think:

Cliff Rogers
3rd August 2009, 04:11 PM
Mine only just arrived today but in anticipation, I hacked up some bits of timber suitable for handles yesterday arvo.

I haven't started on them yet as another job got pushed higher up the priority list. :rolleyes:

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 04:33 PM
Hi TL,

Nice handles! Thanks for posting them too. I've been insterested in what other people are doing, and agree with NeilS about the customisation...

I have made a handle for the 3/8 detail gouge I bought. Similar to TL's but with the mushroom hacked off (just a round end). It'a bit shorter than my other chisels as the 3/8 is a fairly light weight chisel and I don't need a baseball bat hanging off it. I think I went too short on it, but I can always make another!

Will post a piccie of it once I take one... probably tonight.

Cheers,
Dave

RETIRED
3rd August 2009, 06:22 PM
Mine only just arrived today but in anticipation, I hacked up some bits of timber suitable for handles yesterday arvo.

I haven't started on them yet as another job got pushed higher up the priority list. :rolleyes:Psssst, do ya needa a 5/8 drill?:wink::D

Ironwood
3rd August 2009, 07:35 PM
I don't have a little finger on my right hand. :D

Cliff,
when I bought my block at Lake Eacham, people warned me that Tablelander's had six toes (never believed 'em of course) :D.

Now your telling me you's only have four fingers as well :oo::D:D

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 08:28 PM
Hi TL,

Here is the picture of the 3/8 detail gouge handle that I made.

It's maybe a smidge short (the steel came close to being longer!), but it's comfortable to hold and the rounded end is nice to use.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 08:29 PM
forgot to add. Timber is hardwood garden stake. Finish is shellawax 'cos I felt like it :D

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
3rd August 2009, 10:58 PM
Cool! A garden stake with a red stripe.:2tsup: Will have to check out those garden stakes.:U

Cliff Rogers
3rd August 2009, 11:08 PM
Psssst, do ya needa a 5/8 drill?:wink::D
I need 2 actually, I have 2 holes to drill.

Cliff Rogers
3rd August 2009, 11:09 PM
Cliff,
when I bought my block at Lake Eacham, people warned me that Tablelander's had six toes (never believed 'em of course) :D.

Now your telling me you's only have four fingers as well :oo::D:D
I'm an import.

RETIRED
3rd August 2009, 11:10 PM
I need 2 actually, I have 2 holes to drill.Some fella from up your way is sending his on a trip around Australia for a holiday I believe.:D

RETIRED
3rd August 2009, 11:12 PM
Hi TL,

Here is the picture of the 3/8 detail gouge handle that I made.

It's maybe a smidge short (the steel came close to being longer!), but it's comfortable to hold and the rounded end is nice to use.

Cheers,
DaveTool handles for spindle work (read real turning:wink:) don't have to be very long. I in most cases you find that with the smaller gouges you have your hand nearly on the ferrule anyway.

Cliff Rogers
3rd August 2009, 11:25 PM
Some fella from up your way is sending his on a trip around Australia for a holiday I believe.:D
It is home again now. :)

tea lady
3rd August 2009, 11:48 PM
It is home again now. :)If its been down south you better put it by the fire to thaw out again. :cold:

Cliff Rogers
4th August 2009, 09:01 AM
It didn't go that far south & where I live is just as cold if not colder than Brissy.

tea lady
4th August 2009, 09:55 AM
It didn't go that far south & where I live is just as cold if not colder than Brissy.:oo: Colder than Brissy How do you survive? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

artme
4th August 2009, 10:19 AM
Nice handles TL!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have to agree with the idea of customizing handles, The only handles I have that are the same are the handles on my Hamlet tools and a couple to a different design that I turned myself.

everything else is different and it is a bit of a pain.

Ozkaban
4th August 2009, 10:22 AM
Cool! A garden stake with a red stripe.:2tsup: Will have to check out those garden stakes.:U

Yup, weird isn't it. They don't look like much in garden stake form. The other chisel handle made from the same batch (though different stake) showed the same feature:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=100730

I was a bit worried that it would be a soft bit in the wood, but it seems to be OK.

Cheers,
Dave

NeilS
4th August 2009, 04:24 PM
Got around to adding handles to my two T-gouges yesterday. The longer handle on the 5/8"V was turned earlier in the year at the Horsham YouTurn when I was trying to improve my skew technique (always been a bit iffy) with some instructions from the Axe Weilder.

After completing the handles I just had enough time to give the smaller 3/8"V a quick test spin. Edge seemed to hold up quite well, but yet to fully test it out on some hard/abrasive wood. So, at this stage unable to give a verdict on edge retention compared to HT, Sorby and P&N.

From the little I used it, the Thom-V-gouge flute profile (not the grind) felt different to my HT Ellsworth sig gouges. Will alternate between the HT 5/8"V and T 5/8"V on next chunk of wood to see I can understand the difference.

Neil

KenW
4th August 2009, 07:09 PM
Tool handles for spindle work (read real turning:wink:) don't have to be very long. I in most cases you find that with the smaller gouges you have your hand nearly on the ferrule anyway.
, I thought the handle was just for show, do people use them?

tea lady
4th August 2009, 07:14 PM
Got around to adding handles to my two T-gouges yesterday. The longer handle on the 5/8"V was turned earlier in the year at the Horsham YouTurn when I was trying to improve my skew technique (always been a bit iffy) with some instructions from the Axe Weilder.

After completing the handles I just had enough time to give the smaller 3/8"V a quick test spin. Edge seemed to hold up quite well, but yet to fully test it out on some hard/abrasive wood. So, at this stage unable to give a verdict on edge retention compared to HT, Sorby and P&N.

From the little I used it, the Thom-V-gouge flute profile (not the grind) felt different to my HT Ellsworth sig gouges. Will alternate between the HT 5/8"V and T 5/8"V on next chunk of wood to see I can understand the difference.

NeilIsn't the Elsworth Sig Grind a parogolic fl;ute shape? The Thompsons are V shaped. :shrug: (Very arty pics BTW. :cool: )

, I thought the handle was just for show, do people use them? They make it easier to find 'em in the sawdust.:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2009, 07:24 PM
I've been using my new 3/8" spindle- and bowl-gouges for the box challenge, but haven't worked around to putting handles on them yet. :B

Well... not permanent ones anyway. At the mo they have temporary ones; "vice-grip" brand.

, I thought the handle was just for show, do people use them?

I think it's basically to give the tools a "heavy end," so that when you drop them the pointy end doesn't go through your foot. :D

RETIRED
4th August 2009, 07:30 PM
All of the above. I just keep a bit of wood or steel on the tang so it doesn't hurt my hand and I also know which is the blunt end.:D:p

jefferson
4th August 2009, 08:58 PM

The Wielder of the Axe uses the skew pretty well, doesn't he? :2tsup: A little too well for my liking.

Neil

It would be nice if the wiser heads could fully explain to differences for us mere mortals. I stick with the standard no 2 grind on the Tormek (and the True-Grind when I get out of shape), just so the tools feel the same. That said, had a 12mm HT bowl gouge with the Ellsworth grind that worked super at the Sharpening Weekend. I still haven't quite figured out how to duplicate it though..... :(

NeilS
4th August 2009, 09:23 PM
Isn't the Elsworth Sig Grind a parogolic fl;ute shape? The Thompsons are V shaped. :shrug:

The 'V' is just shorthand for parabolic... there being no letter of the alphabet that is parabolic...:).

Both the HT Ellsworth and Thompson V-gouges have parabolic flutes, with the Thompson flute not ground as deep/V-ish as the HT Ellsworth.

Because their flutes don't go so deep, the Thompson V-gouges have more metal/thickness left at the apex/pointy end, which accounts for the slightly different feel between the two gouges.

Neil

Cliff Rogers
4th August 2009, 09:25 PM
The 'V' is just shorthand for parabolic... there being no letter of the alphabet that is parabolic...:).

Both the HT Ellsworth and Thompson V-gouges have parabolic flutes, with the Thompson flute not ground as deep/V-ish as the HT Ellsworth.

Because their flutes don't go so deep, the Thompson V-gouges have more metal/thickness left at the apex/pointy end, which accounts for the slightly different feel between the two gouges.

Neil
:2tsup:

NeilS
4th August 2009, 09:54 PM
I stick with the standard no 2 grind on the Tormek (and the True-Grind when I get out of shape), just so the tools feel the same.

Smart move Jeff. Then if/when you get around to trying a new grind or flute profile you will 'feel' the difference and handle it better.

Neil

jefferson
5th August 2009, 09:42 AM
Smart move Jeff. Then if/when you get around to trying a new grind or flute profile you will 'feel' the difference and handle it better.

Neil

Thanks for the advice, Neil.

I'm trying to limit the number of tools I use as well. I'm doing almost all of my shaping work now with the roughing gouge, then a 10mm bowl gouge (even on boxes). For hollowing, mostly a L & S 12mm spindle gouge. I'm also learning to scrape better using a square skew. Plus my Ci1 and Ci0. (And 80 grit if all else fails :D).

So the rest of the chisels are "in the rack" for a while.

Also trying hard to use both hands eg. facing off at the headstock end, use the left hand (my preferred hand, so not a hard cut), tailstock end, use the right hand. At least that's the theory. I think you can "see" the cut better. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

NeilS
5th August 2009, 10:41 AM
Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

IMO, No.

Neil

Sawdust Maker
5th August 2009, 01:36 PM
Neil
why did you throw your new chisels on the firewood heap? :q

The longer handle looks interesting - are those beads where you've found the best hand positioning for yourself is at? (sorry about the poor grammer)

Gil Jones
5th August 2009, 03:24 PM
Hey Tea Lady,
Those are two fine looking handles, and a darn good mallet.

tea lady
5th August 2009, 06:25 PM
Hey Tea Lady,
Those are two fine looking handles, and a darn good mallet.:cool: WhyThank-you! :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th August 2009, 06:49 PM
At least that's the theory. I think you can "see" the cut better. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

IMO, No.

:whs:

Seeing where the bevel is actually pointing is way better than guessing, then trying to adjust the cut at the last moment. :D

jefferson
5th August 2009, 08:17 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread.... But.... :D

I put the new specs on today and turned an almost-perfect disc on some very hard Dead Finish. (The mini-chisel was blunt after maybe ten cuts, five each side.) Very, very happy. :D

The depth of field on the new specs isn't great - the focal length is ideal between 300 and 350mm, just the distance between the work and my sorry head. But I will adjust to it and will take the glasses off when I want to move around the place. Those little bands that let you take the glasses off help though.

And it sure is nice being able to see the intersection point between the chisel and the wood. :2tsup:

Now I just have to learn to sharpen and use the chisels well.... :doh: No excuses any more.

NeilS
6th August 2009, 08:10 PM
Neil
why did you throw your new chisels on the firewood heap?

Truth is, the scrap heap was the only bit of sunlight I could find in which to take the photo...:)

The longer handle looks interesting - are those beads where you've found the best hand positioning for yourself is at?

Yep, just transferred my preferred hand position from another long handled gouge that I use regularly.

Neil

NeilS
7th August 2009, 09:56 AM

Instead of hijacking TL's handle thread with further comments about the Thompson gouge performance, I should/will add my comments to this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=86692) started by Ern on his impressions of the Thompson gouge.

Neil