Eliza, works great he.
Your own thoughts to make it that way?
Ad :2tsup:

tea lady
1st August 2009, 05:15 PM
:cool2: Not bad. :D

ElizaLeahy
1st August 2009, 06:43 PM
The "handle" of the spinning wheel was going to be at the other end - but it broke. So I turned it around, turned the bottom, then had nothing to hold it while I turned the top.

So I took Ken's advice and made a jam chuck. I had to make the spinning wheel a little smaller because I don't have that much "junk" timber!

Spins good now, and I'll keep that jam chuck in case I need it for boxes, I might even make boxes that size on purpoes.

hughie
1st August 2009, 08:06 PM
woo hoo! :2tsup: well done

ElizaLeahy
1st August 2009, 08:17 PM
Hughie, junior has a handle, but no one is ever going to see it. It's Qld Blackwood, and I'm glad I used it on the handle because it's a bugger to turn (for me, I'm not saying that more experienced turners wouldn't love it).

But it's usable - so tomorrow I'll be able to use it! :)

Thanks!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st August 2009, 08:20 PM
Blackwood is one of those woods that often scrapes better than it cuts.

A little bit of sandpaper certainly helps, too! :)

ElizaLeahy
1st August 2009, 08:24 PM
Doh! Here I have been practicing all week with the scraper, and I didn't think to use it!

by the way, Cindy, the box lady, said in her video that the scrapers seemed to catch less if they had a slight bevel on the top as well. I sharpened both of mine that way, and now I'm not getting catches.

Ed Reiss
1st August 2009, 10:16 PM
I made a jam chuck!

So proud :)

...strawberry or peach ? :2tsup:

Wilco Flier
1st August 2009, 10:23 PM
maybe a stupid question, but what is a jam chuck exactly? And how does it works?

tea lady
2nd August 2009, 12:19 AM
Blackwood is one of those woods that often scrapes better than it cuts.

A little bit of sandpaper certainly helps, too! :):secret: I think she said Qld blackwood. Is it true for that as well? :?:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd August 2009, 12:30 AM
:p AFAIK, Tas, Vic & Qld Blackwood are all acacia melanoxylon. Although the Qld stuff tends to be lighter than it's southern counterparts, so not as popular.

I could be wrong though. Yet again. :shrug:

ElizaLeahy
2nd August 2009, 09:21 AM
The jam chuck is made from some awful dusty spalted stuff and I have no idea what the wood originally was.

A jam chuck is a chuck that you make that fits the piece so tightly that you can jam it in and it won't move while you turn the other side.

- - - NOTE : might be best to drill a hole in it at the other end so you can stick your finger in and poke the piece out. Otherwise it might become jammed.

:)

The blackwood was for the tool handle. I would HATE to have tried to turn a jam chuck out of it. Hard stuff.

Seems pretty dark though skew - I've used Tassie blackwood and it wasn't as hard and it was browner as well.

KenW
2nd August 2009, 06:45 PM
I made a jam chuck!

So proud :)
Eliza, very well done. We will make a woodturner out of you yet.
Cindy Drozda uses a square ended skew as a scraper, the same as me. Only she calls it a negative raked scraper.
Make your jam chucks out of solid wood, not rotten. Chuck will hold better.

RETIRED
2nd August 2009, 11:40 PM
Eliza, very well done. We will make a woodturner out of you yet.
Cindy Drozda uses a square ended skew as a scraper, the same as me. Only she calls it a negative raked scraper.
Make your jam chucks out of solid wood, not rotten. Chuck will hold better.Just as an addendum: Not heavy grained wood either as the harder grain can leave marks. :whistling2: DAMHIKT.:wink:

ElizaLeahy
3rd August 2009, 08:38 AM
Where do you get "junk" wood from so that you have a supply to make them? Every piece of wood I have is a treasure with hidden beauty inside put aside until I make something from it.

:p

Paul39
3rd August 2009, 10:21 AM
Construction sites, especially where decks are being built. 6 X 6 inch / 150 X 150 mm and 4 X 4 / 100 X 100 mm post offcuts. Chunks of firewood. Pieces of dead tree that are taken down.

Used furniture stores that may have broken head and foot boards with big posts.

If you are concerned about your jam chuck splitting, put 5 to 7 wraps of the tape of your choice around the outside. Masking will do, filament packing tape is the strongest.

gmack
3rd August 2009, 10:57 AM
Eliza,
I agree about each piece of wood being a treasure:D
Just got to find the right use for the piece of wood.:2tsup:

artme
3rd August 2009, 11:01 AM
Good for you Eliza! Haven't tried a jammy of my own yet but have used others.

They are bloody handy!

Paul39
3rd August 2009, 11:31 AM
Veranda post with rotted bottom. Find a woody that does repairs.

jefferson
3rd August 2009, 08:15 PM
Just as an addendum: Not heavy grained wood either as the harder grain can leave marks. :whistling2: DAMHIKT.:wink:

"Just as an addendum", don't use new-growth oregan on softwoods either. The harder winter growth rings will mark the inside of your boxes. :(