PDA

View Full Version : Sizing gauge

Tiger
1st August 2009, 04:48 PM
Not much came up when I searched this forum for sizing gauge tool. Does anyone here use one? I'm talking about a tool that you insert a parting tool in, tighten it up and then it cuts theoretically to the correct diameter. It doesn't look hard to make as it's just a curved bit of steel attached to a square bit of steel in which the parting tool rests. For those that have used one, are they useful?

Sturdee
1st August 2009, 04:57 PM
They must be useful as used one during one of his demonstations. You can buy them from" Woodworking Warehouse" in Braeside, one of the forum's sponsors.

Peter

orraloon
1st August 2009, 04:58 PM
I saw in a woodturning book somewhere that an old open ended spanner can be adapted for this. Sharppen the top jaw and round the tip of the lower jaw. When the spanner slips over the wood you have reached the size. I have not tried this myself but it looks workable.
Regards
John

tea lady
1st August 2009, 05:20 PM
I saw in a woodturning book somewhere that an old open ended spanner can be adapted for this. Sharppen the top jaw and round the tip of the lower jaw. When the spanner slips over the wood you have reached the size. I have not tried this myself but it looks workable.
Regards
JohnWhere do you get your HSS spanners from.:D

Tiger
1st August 2009, 05:26 PM
Spanners only come in set sizes, I'm after something adjustable.

FRB Design
1st August 2009, 05:48 PM
Picked this up of e-bay $30, nice sorby one.

Woodwould
1st August 2009, 05:52 PM
How about an adjustable spanner then? You could even sharpen the top jaw to make it a cutting/sizing tool.

http://toolpower.co.nz/catalog/images/60.jpg

tea lady
1st August 2009, 05:55 PM
Picked this up of e-bay $30, nice sorby one.Ah! So you picked that up! :2tsup:

Jim Carroll
1st August 2009, 06:20 PM
So there is savings on Ebay, saved yourself $12.00

Mulgabill
1st August 2009, 08:37 PM
Picked this up of e-bay $30, nice sorby one.
Including postage???

Tiger
2nd August 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm gathering from the responses that not many people use these sizing tools.

Anyway I decided to make one today and found it a bit inconvenient to use. The upper arm of the tool would get in the way and I only found the tool useful if the original work was already close to the diameter on the sizing tool. I've gone back to the caliper in one hand and parting tool in the other method.

powderpost
2nd August 2009, 10:04 PM
I used one for a while. They are good when I had to do a lot of spindles with the same size dowel on the end. Now days I only use calipers and sizing tool. I no longer have to worry about the time it takes to do a job.
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd August 2009, 10:09 PM
:think: If I had one, I'd use it.

However, I won't go out to buy one... not when I can do the same thing by holding calipers in one hand and a parting tool in the other.

If I was a production turner where minutes were valuable, then I guess it'd be a different matter.

Edit: Ahhh... I see PP beat me to it!

RETIRED
2nd August 2009, 11:29 PM
I used one for a while. They are good when I had to do a lot of spindles with the same size dowel on the end. Now days I only use calipers and sizing tool. I no longer have to worry about the time it takes to do a job.
JimSame here. Very handy when you have 4 diameter changes in 6".:wink:

dr4g0nfly
6th August 2009, 07:14 AM
Regards
John

I use this method for sizing tenons for things like Earring stands - matched with a 10mm drill works great.

rodent
7th August 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm gathering from the responses that not many people use these sizing tools.

Anyway I decided to make one today and found it a bit inconvenient to use. The upper arm of the tool would get in the way and I only found the tool useful if the original work was already close to the diameter on the sizing tool. I've gone back to the caliper in one hand and parting tool in the other method.
Tiger i bought mine from the woodsmith some years ago . They are great for doing projects that have many spigot and socket conections . ie chairs , tall lamps ,bead posts ,towel rails . Any project like that and they become a great time and stress saver .:o