PDA

View Full Version : Just for Eliza...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st August 2009, 08:49 PM
...the two bowls I finished today instead of turning lidded boxes. :p

The LH one is Cedar Wattle - bloody 'orrible stuff to finish, but lovely colour - and the RH one is an offcut of Spotted Gum from the benchtop in Waldo's Huge Project. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=75823)

The gum-line is filled with [gasp] 5-min Araldite & instant coffee! :U

(BTW, the two "scratches" in the bottom LH wing of pic 2 are just reflections. Not real scratches. :) )

Ed Reiss
1st August 2009, 10:05 PM
...well, if it's only for Eliza, guess the rest of us aren't allowed to comment on the bowls:~:D

...nice table though :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st August 2009, 10:06 PM
...nice table though :U

Hehe. That drop-leaf table was one of my old projects, so I like to slip it into occasional shots. :;

kdm
1st August 2009, 10:07 PM
I reckon the RH one would look really good with a clock in it :wink:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st August 2009, 10:09 PM
Don't worry... the thought had crossed my mind. :rolleyes:

I'm undecided whether it looks better when turned upside down, for use as a cracker and cheese-dip thingy.

dai sensei
1st August 2009, 10:16 PM
Nice ones Skew :2tsup:

What's the texturing done with?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st August 2009, 10:17 PM
A dremel, cut-off wheel and time, time, time...

jefferson
1st August 2009, 11:48 PM
So, Andy, out with the 4 inch nail again??? :D:D

ElizaLeahy
2nd August 2009, 09:25 AM
They are both beautiful, and you are very right about the colour of the one on the left!

Coffee and 2part... interesting!!! I used all my 2part on Hughies Junior - can you use superglue as well.

I like square bowls. I've decided.

Thanks for showing me (and the others who peeked as well)

I must admit, when I saw the heading, I got a lovely warm feeling...

rsser
2nd August 2009, 12:12 PM
Love the CW job Andy; v. spekky.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd August 2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks Ern.

I don't turn many bowls and that one is pretty much a standard design, which is a rare thing for me. Still, all in all I'm happy with it. And that's pretty rare too! :U

The blank was only 2 1/2" high before roughing/truing, so I didn't put much of a curve on the outside. It curves under equally to the height, ending in a shallow bead-type foot. (To form that all important shadow line to trick the eye into thinking the curve goes further than it does.)

Inside that bead the bottom is pretty flat, which looked terrible when mirrored on the inside. So I dished the inside as far as I dared; not by much but enough to look 100% better. When I applied the finish, the rim was flexing by up to about 1/2"!

I'm sooo glad that I didn't turn the bottom any thinner. [phew!]

jefferson
2nd August 2009, 07:59 PM
Handy Andy,

I think we all like them. :2tsup:

I just wish I could pick each piece up that's posted (and not drop them and break the finials.):rolleyes:

orificiam
2nd August 2009, 08:50 PM
It's Good to see some of your Turnings Skew.:2tsup:Did'nt loose any Fingers with those sharp corners?.:;
Cheers Tony.:)

artme
3rd August 2009, 11:10 AM
Nice work Skew! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Talking about texturing the village idiot here recently textured his left thumb with a cut off wheel. Trouble is the wheel was attached to a 4" grinder.:oo::oo::B