PDA

View Full Version : Clear satin finish on Black Korina and Wenge - Help

Kvebbs
2nd August 2009, 05:06 AM
Hi everybody, my first post:D

I'm putting together a VIP-model guitar from warmoth.com this month. The body is Black Korina with a Wenge top, and I would like to protect it from wear and was hoping it (especially the Black Korina) would get a slightly darker satin finish on the way.

1. I have practically no experience with paintjobs short of painting my house red some years ago.
2. I would like this to be as easy as possible.
3. I have no idea how to do this:D

I have been recommended some layers of thin tru-oil, using sandpaper for each layer and when finished to achieve some sort of satin look while keeping it simple. How does this sound?

Also;
1. Have anyone ever seen unfinished wenge after some use (been trying to figure out if it would look plain worn and OK, or just plain ugly... and if its bad for the wood...). I understand that wenge is really hard to finish because of the grains... Is there any easy way to fill in these without much color, or will tru-oil do this?
2. The Black Korina will be finished no matter what. Do I need any grain filler here?
3. Last but not least, is there any easier way or alternative way you would recommend?

The bottom line really is I know nothing, and every tip and comment is appreciated:D:2tsup:

Thanks
- Kvebbs