PDA

View Full Version : Digital Miter Gauge

Superbunny
2nd August 2009, 03:29 PM
Well I got the Digital Miter Gauge from Carba-tec, retails for $139 at present and I was so impressed, a review is in order. No I don't work for Carba-tec in any shape or form, infact I hate their postage cost as I think it's too high). In the dogalogue Carba-tec promote this product for the miter slot for tablesaws but I wanted it for my bandsaw as the one that came with it was a bloody mess as far as accuracy was concerned. When I looked around I realised that just about all miter gauges leave something to be desired for accuracy. This one does angle accuracy +/- 0.1 degrees.

Well this digital miter gauge is a gem, I just love it, once set it's just great and accurate and well made too. It has a zero, on/off and hold/reverse buttons. The gauge head is nice and large so it has a good area to hold the timber against, and some holes and slots to fix an extention fence if you want. The handle is a decent size also, no fiddly knob to muck about with. The readout is large and easy to read showing accuracy to 0.05 of a degree.

The miter bar has a a T-Slot washer that you can use if needed so will suit either a T-slot or square slot on your table. It also has three spring loaded miter bar detents that take out any play in the miter slot. I removed the center one so it would slide a little better given a bandsaw slot has a gap in it to fit the blade in and out. I removed the saw blade tilt attachement as I didn't need it. It comes with a spare battery also.

I set mine by cutting a piece of wood and checking it with a good set square untill it was spot on, then I zeroed it. I plane to use it in my tablesaw also and any other pieces of machinery that has a miter slot. If I sell any of my machinery guess who's not getting the digital miter gauge but the gauge that came with the machine.:D:D

SB

paul k
2nd August 2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info SB most helpfull , the larger readout would be great and the accuracy a bonus .

paul , k :2tsup:

Rattrap
3rd August 2009, 10:02 AM
mmmm new digital toy, i'll put it on my xmas list

Christos
3rd August 2009, 08:24 PM
if i sell any of my machinery guess who's not getting the digital miter gauge but the gauge that came with the machine.

who

:U

Superbunny
3rd August 2009, 08:44 PM
who

:U

The one who buys the machine.:D:D

SB

Christos
3rd August 2009, 09:05 PM
Big discount for they will be getting a crappy miter gauge.

Better yet do not tell them. :D:D:D:D

dai sensei
4th August 2009, 06:48 PM
I bought one a while back from SEQ Woodturnig Supplies, makes turning segmental work much easier, works a treat.

Peter Benders
20th August 2009, 01:29 PM
i liked the big display. anyway thanks for a wonderful review. it had lot of information regarding the tool. you have also given pics .thats great. thanks again