PDA

View Full Version : Painting MDF to a glossy finish

Dengue
2nd August 2009, 05:14 PM
What preparation and finishing coats you recommend for a glossy black finish for an MDF cupboard ? Water based or turps based? ( I do not have a spray gun.

Would you polish it with car polish to make it gleam?

I am open to any suggestions , please

regards,
Jill

snowyskiesau
2nd August 2009, 05:30 PM
Jill,
A recent thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=101640) here warned against using oil based undercoats/primers on MDF. Apparently, an oil based primer will lift waxes in the MDF making it hard/impossible for the topcoat to adhere properly.

That post came about a week late for me!. I'd primed an MDF cupboard with a Dulux oil based primer. When I applied the top coat of Dulux Aquanamel, it didn;t stick. Even after 2 coats it looks terrible.

FWIW about 10 years ago I put in a new kitchen. Being on a budget, I made the doors from MDF painted with water based primer, undercoat and top coats. The finish was great and has held up well. Only reason I'm about to repaint is for a change of colour. :)

Harry72
3rd August 2009, 06:52 PM
Clean it with some dewaxer/prepwash before any primer, change/turn the rag often.

soundman
3rd August 2009, 09:26 PM
never had a problem with solvent bassed products on MDF.

but if you go water bassed over solvent.... mmmm maybee.

I always sand, with a random orbit.......I have had very good results with polyeurathane paving paint ( jetdry solvent bassed) over wattyl estipol sanding sealer..

a couple of coats of sanding sealer sanded to 180 gritt with a ROS before, between and after followed by a couple of coats of jet dry.

If you want real golssy like a piano.... you are dreaming......that takes serious work and a spray gun.

cheers