PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust Makers box (1)

Sawdust Maker
2nd August 2009, 10:33 PM
Thought I'd get started on this today rather then leave it till too late
Never made a box before (at least on the lathe) :2tsup:

Timber is sumthing which was a fence post between no 26 and no 28 (house numbers that is) It is about 100 x 75 x 120 mm

112540 112541 112542

Thought I'd turn it down and leave a couple of sides/faces with the weathered look

112543 112544

went to change the tool rest and used the gouge on my hand instead :((

Now I know why the experts say "don't put the chisel under your arm while adjusting the rest" Though I imagine they might have been talking about something else :doh:

It is now sitting in disgrace on the bench. I'll play with it again next weekend, maybe :~

Allan at Wallan
2nd August 2009, 10:39 PM
As one might say, "that's a cut above the rest".:D

Sorry, should not joke about it but could not resist
the temptation. Hope it heals soon and you get
to complete the box without further distraction.

Allan

Sawdust Maker
2nd August 2009, 10:40 PM
:rofl:

Allan,
made my day

wheelinround
2nd August 2009, 10:45 PM
Nick does that mean thats the finial of it :D

Bet you tell everyone you scored over the weekend

Gouge that had to hurt

Poor Sue bet she hasn't stopped laughing

Take it easy Nick we need you to show up the Victoian woman box makers :2tsup:

RETIRED
2nd August 2009, 11:23 PM
A mere flesh wound. Get back to it ya slacker.:D

tea lady
3rd August 2009, 10:14 AM
Take it easy Nick we need you to show up the Victoian woman box makers :2tsup::rolleyes: I keep saying this ain't no competition.:D Especially when comparing wounds.:doh: Also, next time put the pointy bit of the gouge out the back not out the front.:p Look after yourself. Get Mummy to kiss it better. :D

Sawdust Maker
3rd August 2009, 10:18 AM

'Tis a bit of a scratch really but **** it hurt :((
So I finished off some pens, have to make the thin parting tool anyway

Nick does that mean thats the finial of it :D

Bet you tell everyone you scored over the weekend

Gouge that had to hurt

Poor Sue bet she hasn't stopped laughing

Take it easy Nick we need you to show up the Victoian woman box makers :2tsup:

Ray
Nice play on words
Hurt, I'm still wincing. And calling meself a silly B******
If you're pinning your hopes on me making a better box then some others on the forum then :no: This is my first attempt :!

Anyone have any idea on how to finish such a box. The ones I've seen on sale tend to leave the weathered wood looking natural

wheelinround
3rd August 2009, 10:24 AM
:no: not blood stained Nick :;

I reckon an oil or friction wax is nice with such hard woods Nick:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
3rd August 2009, 11:05 AM
You are letting that tiny scratch stop you? It's not bleeding any longer, you don't have to worry about blood on the wood, what's the problem?

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 11:10 AM
I had a similar issue on the weekend. My shed is roughly the size of a toilet cubicle, with a drill press in the middle of it. I reached past the drill (switched off, of course) to grab something off the shelf. The back of my forearm just brushed the tip of the brad point drill bit left in there. Man those things are sharp! The cut is about 5cm long and maybe 4-5mm deep :oo:. Enough to bleed an awful lot!

Stupid way to score an injury :doh:

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
3rd August 2009, 12:35 PM
what Nick ain't tellin' us, folks, is that he was on the phone to the national health service in a New York minute....probably said that his hand was nearly sheared off:o:D

jefferson
6th August 2009, 10:33 AM

It may be a smallish cut, but here's a largish bruise (a fall in the shed last week):

tea lady
6th August 2009, 10:46 AM
It may be a smallish cut, but here's a largish bruise (a fall in the shed last week):

112860Oooooh! Very pretty. :D No wonder it slowed you down a bit.:C:console:

Sawdust Maker
6th August 2009, 11:31 AM
Ouch
look after yourself

Ed Reiss
6th August 2009, 12:00 PM
Jeff, that is kinda' neat...looks like a nebula in space:o:D:D

you sure that's not just a tatoo?:roll:

Rum Pig
6th August 2009, 02:16 PM
I did a first aid course once
For the cut first clean out with a good dash of rum. (best administered internally) then followed by some MED CA (on the cut) and you should be ready to keep turning.
For the bruise apply cold can of Rum and coke and keep refreshing the can before it gets warm and for hygienic reason do not reuse the same can so consume it immediately.
:2tsup::D:2tsup::U:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
6th August 2009, 04:09 PM
hmm
have to get a bottle of bundies best and put it on the shelf along with the shellawax glues etc

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th August 2009, 09:00 PM
It is now sitting in disgrace on the bench. I'll play with it again next weekend, maybe :~

It's a weekend later... would I be correct in saying that it's now in the queue for Round Tuits?

For the bruise apply cold can of Rum and coke and keep refreshing the can before it gets warm and for hygienic reason do not reuse the same can so consume it immediately.

I suspect that Jefferson followed the same medical advice I do: one green vitamin B every half an hour until the pain goes away. Followed by more green vitamins on the same schedule to stop it from coming back. :U

Sawdust Maker
9th August 2009, 10:32 PM
No turning this weekend - finally caught the lurgy from the boys :((
decided that turning of any description might have been too dangerous

did a bit of tidying up
and managed to grind some oland tool inserts

jefferson
10th August 2009, 12:46 AM
It's a weekend later... would I be correct in saying that it's now in the queue for Round Tuits?

I suspect that Jefferson followed the same medical advice I do: one green vitamin B every half an hour until the pain goes away. Followed by more green vitamins on the same schedule to stop it from coming back. :U

Bad or wrong advice, Andy. You've got to start quickly with 4 green vitamin B cans in the first half hour, then a pill or more every 20 minutes until the pain subsides. :D Forget the rum though. It makes some (not me) a little cranky. :rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
17th August 2009, 08:52 AM
Did a little bit more this weekend
didn't get much time in the shed, Son's sport and birthday party and all
also had to make a parting tool and whilst at it I put a handle on a drill bit and handles on the Thompson tools

113841 113842

This bit of fence post is damn hard and I managed to bounce it off the floor a couple of times. Anyway this is where I'm at,

113843 113844

I have to finish hollowing etc etc. It's only about 10 mm deep so far. hopefully will finish next weekend.

wheelinround
17th August 2009, 10:17 AM
Looks like an old stubby milk bottle we got when at school Nick like the shape so far.

TTIT
17th August 2009, 10:29 AM
The weathering lines on the box should look great when you're done!

........... and whilst at it I put a handle on a drill bit ...........I've always intended making one of those for myself................ .................... ................ ................ ............. one day (sigh! :shrug: )

Ed Reiss
17th August 2009, 12:26 PM
lookin' good on the handles and box :2tsup: but what the hell's up with showing pics of the handles, SM...suppose to be a box thing :wink::D:D:D

Sawdust Maker
17th August 2009, 10:26 PM
Looks like an old stubby milk bottle we got when at school Nick like the shape so far.

Funny - thought the same thing when I was turning it

The weathering lines on the box should look great when you're done!
I've always intended making one of those for myself................ .................... ................ ................ ............. one day (sigh! :shrug: )

I hope so - am a little disappointed with the otherside - not as well weathered.

Only made this one. because I was drilling a series of holes for the other handles and had in the back of my mind to drill the depth for the box and inspiration occurred (I was dazed for a couple of minutes)

lookin' good on the handles and box :2tsup: but what the hell's up with showing pics of the handles, SM...suppose to be a box thing :wink::D:D:D

Damn! Hijacked my own thread :doh:

Ozkaban
18th August 2009, 09:53 AM
Did a little bit more this weekend
didn't get much time in the shed, Son's sport and birthday party and all
also had to make a parting tool and whilst at it I put a handle on a drill bit and handles on the Thompson tools

113841 113842

This bit of fence post is damn hard and I managed to bounce it off the floor a couple of times. Anyway this is where I'm at,

113843 113844

I have to finish hollowing etc etc. It's only about 10 mm deep so far. hopefully will finish next weekend.

Like the box shape so far - Retro milk bottle :cool:

Could I ask a dumb question, but why put a handle on a drill bit? What can you do with this tool? Looks very purposeful though!

Cheers,
dave

wheelinround
18th August 2009, 09:57 AM
Dave its quick and easy drilling instead of setting up a M2 drill

kdm
18th August 2009, 10:02 AM
And a dumb question from me too - how do you hold the parting tool blade in the handle?

Ozkaban
18th August 2009, 10:05 AM
Dave its quick and easy drilling instead of setting up a M2 drill

Sounds useful, but surely accuracy would be an issue :whatonearth:

Dead curious about this one, really! Maybe I should just give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
18th August 2009, 10:11 PM
And a dumb question from me too - how do you hold the parting tool blade in the handle?

There is a tang on the blade about 50mm long and 10 mm wide. It sits in a 9ish mm hole in the handle. I've yet to glue half rod (ie a bit of dowel sliced in half) either side of the tang in the hole, to make it a bit more secure. I doubt whether I needed the handle that long as well, but it's done now. The blade is merely an old hacksaw blade. There was a thread a while back which discussed grinds on the tip.

Sounds useful, but surely accuracy would be an issue :whatonearth:

Dead curious about this one, really! Maybe I should just give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers,
Dave

Accuracy is not the issue (even though it tends to drill in the centre because the timber is revolving with the chuck)
The point is to quickly drill the depth hole which can be accomplished with this little number without setting up a jacobs chuck etc
I hadn't used one before sunday and seems to work well

Ozkaban
19th August 2009, 11:26 AM
Accuracy is not the issue (even though it tends to drill in the centre because the timber is revolving with the chuck)
The point is to quickly drill the depth hole which can be accomplished with this little number without setting up a jacobs chuck etc
I hadn't used one before sunday and seems to work well

ahh, I see now grasshopper :D That would be a most useful tool. Might have to play with that one. Onto the list it goes :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Allan at Wallan
19th August 2009, 11:45 PM

Just a bit higher and you could have passed it off
as "Purple Heart". (Just a Woodie's comment):D

Allan

Sawdust Maker
23rd August 2009, 09:57 PM
Well here it is
not an inspiring work of art - but it is my first ever (and looks less like a milk bottle)

114403 114404 114405

114406 114407 114408

needs another coat of Rustins
unfortunately I broke the top off the knob, it came to a nice point off the chisel
The lid is a loose fit to the bottom. (quite loose actually)
Learnt heaps and the next one can only be better
I am fairly happy with the weathered sections - as you can see some of the splits went all the way through my wall. I did use ca to hold together but there was some flex

I need more practice with the oland tool ( the little hughie) I managed a few catches :doh: and ended up resorting to scrapers for the inside.

All in all it was fun to make and I think I'll vary my approach a little for the next one.

critical comments welcome :2tsup:

PS I have no idea what the timber is? any ideas?

tea lady
24th August 2009, 01:15 AM
:wave: looks really nice and touchable. One of those form you just want to hold in your hand. :cool:

wheelinround
24th August 2009, 08:28 AM
I Like it Nick big shape change but thats what wood tells you

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2009, 09:08 AM
Like the way you left the weathered section. Adds that little bit more interest. :2tsup:

Ozkaban
24th August 2009, 10:00 AM
I like that one! The weathering really adds interest.

Nice one :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
24th August 2009, 11:51 AM
turned out really well, Nick :2tsup: ....but for some reason, I thought you were into poetry, not turning :U

wheelinround
24th August 2009, 02:26 PM
:lolabove::roflmao: poetry or pottery :q

Rum Pig
24th August 2009, 02:40 PM
Looks bloody good for your first well done:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
24th August 2009, 02:59 PM
Ditto to the last 3 posts! :D:2tsup:

kdm
24th August 2009, 06:29 PM
I like it too Sawdust maker :2tsup:

Tony Morton
24th August 2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Nick

I like the effect with the charactor of the timber, with recycled or salvaged timber you can find some fantastic effects they don't always work but it is worth the try. The box comes together in a pleasing manner.

Cheers Tony

TTIT
24th August 2009, 09:22 PM
Great first result Nick :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
25th August 2009, 09:45 PM
Thank you all very much for your kind comments :2tsup: not sure they are deserved.

It's funny I had been thinking of trying a box for some time - would not have got around to it now without Tea Lady's challenge.

It was fun and who knows I might even have another go at some point :U

In fact the other efforts during "Boxust" have been really inspiring. It's good to make one aim higher

and I'm dead sure my poetry is really very poor

tea lady
26th August 2009, 10:23 AM
It's funny I had been thinking of trying a box for some time - would not have got around to it now without Tea Lady's challenge. Round Toit month was last month.:rolleyes:

and I'm dead sure my poetry is really very poorIts good to have something to strive for. You shouldn't peek to early.:D

KenW
26th August 2009, 07:24 PM
Nick, nice looking box, heaps better than my first box.

Sawdust Maker
26th August 2009, 10:00 PM
Nick, nice looking box, heaps better than my first box.

Now you've done it - where's a piccy of your first:!

... box I mean :doh:

I (generally:;) like your work. nice lines and form. and innovativeness (if there is such a word)
I'd like to be artistic, mum was/is as is my son - me ... this is as good as it gets

Sawdust Maker
26th August 2009, 10:04 PM
Its good to have something to strive for. You shouldn't peek to early.:D

what's wrong with with peeking through the shower curtain, early or otherwise :p

Oh you mean getting to peak performance - at my rate of practice I'll have to live to be 110
or I could be like the Wallabies and peak at training :doh:

Ed Reiss
27th August 2009, 12:12 PM
Nick....your a wag (I think that's an Aussie word?):q:D

KenW
27th August 2009, 07:20 PM
Now you've done it - where's a piccy of your first:!

... box I mean :doh:

I'm glad you added the word Box, hard to explain to the wife why I am going through pictures of old girlfriends.
I don't have a photo of my first box. It was so good, I burnt it.

tea lady
28th August 2009, 01:07 AM
I'm glad you added the word Box, hard to explain to the wife why I am going through pictures of old girlfriends.
I don't have a photo of my first box. It was so good, I burnt it.:think: Didn't you say your daughter had it.:D (( I may not remember why I went to the kitchen, but I remember what people say.:p )

KenW
28th August 2009, 11:09 AM
:think: Didn't you say your daughter had it.:D (( I may not remember why I went to the kitchen, but I remember what people say.:p )
My daughter has my first vase.

tea lady
28th August 2009, 12:22 PM
My daughter has my first vase.:D That'll do. Lets see a pic of that.:D

KenW
28th August 2009, 06:34 PM
:D That'll do. Lets see a pic of that.:D
It will take a while, she doesn't live at home any more.

mick61
28th August 2009, 07:06 PM
G`day is that the grasstree(zantherea?)?
Mick:D

Sawdust Maker
28th August 2009, 08:53 PM
Nick....your a wag (I think that's an Aussie word?):q:D

Wags the dog! And I'll take it for the compliment it obviously is!

G`day is that the grasstree(zantherea?)?
Mick:D

eh? you mean my box. Probably not, would be some eucalypt common to around here or close. Suburban fence post at least 20 year old

Ed Reiss
29th August 2009, 11:58 AM
Wags the dog! And I'll take it for the compliment it obviously is!

it is? and here I was tryin' to give you a hard time....note to self - learn aussie's bad words.

Sawdust Maker
29th August 2009, 11:49 PM
it is? and here I was tryin' to give you a hard time....note to self - learn aussie's bad words.

"drongo" would be close to an Aussie bad word:p
or "galah"

Ed Reiss
30th August 2009, 01:34 PM
thanks Nick, I'll remember those and maybe throw in a couple, three latvian swear words just to confuse the issue:roll::D:D:D