PDA

View Full Version : Practice Box - "Banksia Thingy with Terrible Finial"

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 11:04 AM
Hi,

had a bit of turning time on the weekend and went in search of suitable sized a bit of wood in my stash to make a box. I wanted to do something different as I'm a sucker for punishment :-)

I found a banksia pod I bought ages back for just such an occasion, mounted it up and discovered that everyone is right - they are bloody hard and very messy! Kinda like turning concrete with re-bar in it :oo: My new 3/8 Thompson detail gouge went through it much more easily than my other tools. Still sharp(-ish!) after finishing the banksia pod. That is a beautiful bit of steel! :2tsup:

I didn't feel confident hollowing it out with all of the voids. I should have picked a softer/smoother bit of wood to have a go with. I ended up using a forstner bit and then cleaning it up a bit at the end:whistling2:. Cheating, I know, but it worked!

I really don't like the form. I had no real plans, just doodling which is why it looks ordinary. I absolutely hate the finial. I only did it as there was a long thin end bit on the banksia pod which looked like a finial before I started so I just shaped it a bit. I am thinking of turning the top half of the finial off, or making a small ball out if it near the base as a sort of handle. Not sure yet.

I liked how it finished though. The banksia bas some beautiful patterns in it. I have a second pod I bought at the same time that I think I will turn into a couple of tea lights. Do you think if I kept the sides low the tea light candles would be much of a fire risk?

Comments welcome. I called it a practice box, but if I don't get around to making another, it's officially the challenge entry :D

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 11:06 AM
sorry - didn't notice the sub-forum for the turning challenge.

Coud a mod be kind enough to shuffle this thread over to it, please??

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
3rd August 2009, 12:49 PM
hey Dave...don't look now but it's on fire !!! :doh::D:D:D

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 12:54 PM
hmmm, yes. Forgot to mention that it's a torch globe, not a tea light in the last one.

Though i am tempted to burn it :D

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
3rd August 2009, 01:27 PM
I like it - why not make a tiny hole in the bottom and insert a little bulb? Give the same beautiful appearence as the candle without the fire hazzard.

Pat
3rd August 2009, 01:31 PM
Dave, not a bad form, especially being hollow and perforated. With the Finial, I would remove the top bump and have one smooth point.

I tried a turned box yesterday and missed a step . . . turned the box around, expanded the jaws, one turn, two turns, crack, bugger, damn. I had shaped the box to soon:doh: Luckily it was a scrap bit of 90*90 Merbau, of which I still have 1/2 a dozen more 500 - 600 lengths left.

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 02:22 PM
I like it - why not make a tiny hole in the bottom and insert a little bulb? Give the same beautiful appearence as the candle without the fire hazzard.

This one only had the globe in it poked through one of the many existing holes. I only did it to see what it looked like and to have some more fun with the photos.

If I was going to do tea light ones, they would be open and only stand about 2cm above the height of the candle. Wouldn't put it in this box unless I was trying to warm the house at night :D

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 02:25 PM
Dave, not a bad form, especially being hollow and perforated. With the Finial, I would remove the top bump and have one smooth point.

You're the second one to suggest this - a workmate said the same thing without being prompted. Good advice, I think,

I tried a turned box yesterday and missed a step . . . turned the box around, expanded the jaws, one turn, two turns, crack, bugger, damn. I had shaped the box to soon:doh: Luckily it was a scrap bit of 90*90 Merbau, of which I still have 1/2 a dozen more 500 - 600 lengths left.

I've never really know the correct procedure. I should research it a little more before I try the next one. I also only have one set of jaws (std 50mm ones) on a cheapie chuck, which weren't as versatile as I was hoping :rolleyes:. Merbau would be a good starting point though. Is it hard to turn? I've heard it can be abrasive on tools.

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
3rd August 2009, 02:30 PM
Dave looks good :2tsup: agree finial could do with some work maybe even a different lighter coloured wood.
What did you finish with

The tea light candle idea works well see similar I made here here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wheelinround/) Its in a glass so flame doesn't touch the sides.

ps Forstner bits are not cheating

Ray

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 02:48 PM
Dave looks good :2tsup: agree finial could do with some work maybe even a different lighter coloured wood.
What did you finish with

Might try the lighter wood. It's turned as one piece, but chopping the finial off wont upset me too much!

Finish was sanded to 400, EEE, Shellawax.

Found the EEE got into the holes a bit (or a lot...), but 2000rpm sorted that out :D

The tea light candle idea works well see similar I made here here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wheelinround/) Its in a glass so flame doesn't touch the sides.

Good idea. The heat itself wouldn't be huge. That's worth chasing down...

ps Forstner bits are not cheating

Ray
Good to hear!!!

Cheers,
Dave

Ad de Crom
3rd August 2009, 05:03 PM
Well Dave, you don't like the form, I do.
And turning the lid with finial in one piece, why not.
In my eyes your lidded box has an attractive radiation.
Follow with interest this lidded box challenge.
Ad :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd August 2009, 09:02 PM
You're the second one to suggest this - a workmate said the same thing without being prompted. Good advice, I think

Agreed. Actually, I think it might've looked better if it was even squatter. Something like the knob on... KDM's(?) barrel box. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=1009031). for example.

Nice job on the banksia itself though. It can be a right mongrel to turn. (Says me, still spitting out bits of furry grit from the last banksia I turned some 2 years ago. :rolleyes:)

Tony Morton
3rd August 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Dave
You taking short cuts to a lattice box, you've done well being able to turn inside and out without the thing disintergrating. With the wax building up in the holes a heat gun will melt it and blow it disperse it and its not so noticable.

Cheers Tony

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 10:05 PM
Agreed. Actually, I think it might've looked better if it was even squatter. Something like the knob on... KDM's(?) barrel box. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=1009031). for example.

Nice job on the banksia itself though. It can be a right mongrel to turn. (Says me, still spitting out bits of furry grit from the last banksia I turned some 2 years ago. :rolleyes:)

I think that knob might be perfect... will give it a go.

and yup, the furry stuff is a PITA...

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
3rd August 2009, 10:16 PM
Hi Dave
You taking short cuts to a lattice box, you've done well being able to turn inside and out without the thing disintergrating. With the wax building up in the holes a heat gun will melt it and blow it disperse it and its not so noticable.

Cheers Tony

well, the inside was a forstner bit, so that bit was easy :D

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
3rd August 2009, 10:20 PM
Dave
nice effort :2tsup:
have to agree about the finial
and it is a royal pita