PDA

View Full Version : First Turnings

DoctorBobski
3rd August 2009, 05:07 PM
Finally had a chance to fire up my lathe after it sat taunting me. My very generous wife gave me a VL175 for my 30th but just haven't had time to flick it on until now. I last turned in high school (and then only the ubiquitous file handle) so it going to be a steep learning curve. Had a go at a couple of bowls after watching a Jimmy Clewes DVD and here are my first efforts.:C

First two are from some random log from the backyard with plenty of spalting. Soft wood and had a few dig ins.
Third one is silky oak (I think). Again a log from the backyard hence the cutout section. Stained with U-Beaut Red, Orange and Yellow and finshed with Shellawax Glow. Should have spent more time on the bottom though!

Harry72
3rd August 2009, 06:58 PM
Not bad for the 1st couple of turnings... addiction only gets worst from here on in!

orificiam
3rd August 2009, 09:33 PM
:2tsup: Congratulation nice work. Only A couple of digins? Not bad for a Newby.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
4th August 2009, 01:11 AM
No, no, not bad at all for the first turning. Much better than my first turning.
Keep em up.
Ad :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
4th August 2009, 01:43 AM
Pretty good start...it only gets better.

Welcome to the "addiction" :2tsup:

robbiebgraham
4th August 2009, 08:34 AM
Finally had a chance to fire up my lathe after it sat taunting me. My very generous wife gave me a VL175 for my 30th but just haven't had time to flick it on until now. I last turned in high school (and then only the ubiquitous file handle) so it going to be a steep learning curve. Had a go at a couple of bowls after watching a Jimmy Clewes DVD and here are my first efforts.:C

If these are your first turnings Doctor Bobski you are well on the way. Well done,:2tsup: Robbie

artme
4th August 2009, 10:26 AM
Great start Bobski!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
4th August 2009, 04:54 PM
Great effort :2tsup:

NeilS
4th August 2009, 06:00 PM
If them's your first, and you do full justice to that VL175 of yours (a nice lathe that deserves a lot of serious use), your going to be quite a turner before your done.

Neil

PS - yes, your bowl feet deserve more attention.

DoctorBobski
5th August 2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. I definately think I have caught the bug. I find myself daydreaming at work about the blank I've prepared to have a go at this weekend. (Blank look thinking about the blank!!) When I get time I'm going to try and get to a local club to further my learning. I thinks there's one at Redcliffe.

jefferson
5th August 2009, 07:24 PM
Doctor Bob,

as the guys have said, a great start. :2tsup: If you have any problems, just call in and help will arrive very quickly. (I know that from experience - many thanks to those on the Board.)

So you have a VL175..... What else do you think you need? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please ignore any advice from the likes of myself and (dare I say it?) Ern. I have maybe 7 or 8? Vicmarc chucks and now Ken W tells me that I need more face-plates instead. :(

Welcome aboard and please keep posting.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th August 2009, 07:44 PM
I definately think I have caught the bug. I find myself daydreaming at work about the blank I've prepared to have a go at this weekend. (Blank look thinking about the blank!!)

Hook, line & sinker! :U

NeilS
6th August 2009, 10:15 AM
When I get time I'm going to try and get to a local club to further my learning. I thinks there's one at Redcliffe.

Good move. And, then having established contact with the local woodturning community, you could then arrange for some one-on-one tuition at home on your own lathe at times to suit your own time constraints. You will find this is a quantum leap up from trying to learn from books and DVDs, which don't see and correct you when you are getting it wrong.

Start your tuition with the most competent woodturner you can manage so you don't have to unlearn too much later when you do get the best teachers.

Neil