PDA

View Full Version : Tea lady's lidded box "Fred!"

tea lady
3rd August 2009, 06:15 PM
Haven't done anything yet, just gazed at the wood and thunk a bit. :C But Eliza is making me feel under achieving, so I thought I'd better at least start my Fred.:D Also done a few thumb nail sketches. :rolleyes: Tomorrow for sure. :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
3rd August 2009, 07:13 PM
So far it's the best thing you have ever turned!!!!

:2tsup:

tea lady
3rd August 2009, 07:21 PM
So far it's the best thing you have ever turned!!!!

:2tsup:Yep! No catches. No cracks.:rolleyes: Lid isn't crooked.:D

Sawdust Maker
3rd August 2009, 10:27 PM
To get the wood to really talk to you, you need a dram or two of single malt and to study the heft, grain, light refraction etc of the wood whilst savouring the whiskey.

tea lady
3rd August 2009, 10:50 PM
To get the wood to really talk to you, you need a dram or two of single malt and to study the heft, grain, light refraction etc of the wood whilst savouring the whiskey.Do I look through the glass or round it? Does it work with champagne.:D

Frank&Earnest
4th August 2009, 01:18 PM
Do I look through the glass or round it? Does it work with champagne.:D

Above the glass, of course. Champagne definitely works better, but only if it is vintage, not the cheap $60 a bottle French stuff, otherwise you might as well buy some good quality Aussie clone.

Can't find the appeal of scotch, even if some old single malt is drinkable. Without the sherry flavour it would be just wodka. Might as well drink a good sherry.

See how low we have fallen? Reminiscing about alcohol to forget that science has told us how bad it is to actally drink it. :C

tea lady
4th August 2009, 07:09 PM
Well, I done my thunking, and decided to just make a box to get going. Complicated can wait for later.:cool: So I'm just doing a little flattish box like eliza's first one out of a table leg off cut I got from rubbish pile. Laminated something-or-other. :rolleyes: Straightish sides, flatish top. :shrug:

1.Had to glue waste blocks to them cos there isn't much of it, then clamped that in the chuck.

2.Turned round and flat on the face.

3. hollowing

4. More hollowing

5. sanded to 400#

6. All shiny with EEE and then Shithot wax cos I couldn't get the lid off my shellawax.:C

7. Started doing the other part then the school rang and said that Small Boy was feeling sick, so off I went to be mother.:rolleyes: Oh well. More turning tomorrow hopefully.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2009, 07:17 PM
Hey, AM? Once you've finished Fred, are any follow-ups going to be called Wilma, Pebbles, Barney... ? :D

Can't find the appeal of scotch, even if some old single malt is drinkable. Without the sherry flavour it would be just wodka. Might as well drink a good sherry.

Sherry taste? Scotch? Your taste buds seriously need a check up And there's no such thing as a "good sherry!" :p

See how low we have fallen? Reminiscing about alcohol to forget that science has told us how bad it is to actally drink it. :C

Pah! Science hasn't, doctors have. And that's just their opinion. I defy them to scientifically and accurately demonstrate the damage a single shot of good whisky does to my system. They can't... they'll come back with "It has been proven that drinking enough fast enough will damage your health."

Again... PAH! So does water. It's called "drowning." :rolleyes:

Or they break out the "science" of statistics. Humbug, I say! Statistics can prove anything you desire. For example, there has never been a single recorded death on the moon. Therefore, statistically, the moon is a healthier place to live!

tea lady
4th August 2009, 07:23 PM
Hey, AM? Once you've finished Fred, are any follow-ups going to be called Wilma, Pebbles, Barney... ? :DNo! Just lots of Freds.:cool:

Sherry taste? Scotch? Your taste buds seriously need a check up And there's no such thing as a "good sherry!" :p You could have a Tokay. That's pretty good.

Pah! Science hasn't, doctors have. And that's just their opinion. I defy them to scientifically and accurately demonstrate the damage a single shot of good whisky does to my system. They can't... they'll come back with "It has been proven that drinking enough fast enough will damage your health."

Again... PAH! So does water. It's called "drowning." :rolleyes:

Or they break out the "science" of statistics. Humbug, I say! Statistics can prove anything you desire. For example, there has never been a single recorded death on the moon. Therefore, statistically, the moon is a healthier place to live!:C Jeeeeez Skew! Sounds like you need a drink. :rolleyes: Or at the very least a cup of tea.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2009, 07:29 PM
:C Jeeeeez Skew! Sounds like you need a drink. :rolleyes: Or at the very least a cup of tea.:D

Nar, just more time on the lathe. Got in late, did a little teensy bit more on my boxes and then got called in for tea just as I was getting into the rhythm of things.

After tea is deemed "too late" to upset the neighbours with my turning. :~ I don't think it's the lathe noise so much as the blue air that often accompanies it. :B

Frank&Earnest
4th August 2009, 07:34 PM
Sherry taste? Scotch? Your taste buds seriously need a check up And there's no such thing as a "good sherry!" :p

Alas, what a betrayal of your heritage!:U

Once distilled the "new make spirit" is placed into oak casks for the maturation process. Historically, casks previously used for sherry (http://www.woodworkforums.com/wiki/Sherry) were used (as barrels are expensive, and there was a ready market for used sherry butts). Today, the casks used are typically sherry or bourbon (http://www.woodworkforums.com/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey) casks. Bourbon production is a nearly inexhaustible generator of used barrels, due to a regulation requiring the use of new, oak (http://www.woodworkforums.com/wiki/White_oak) barrels. Some believe that older whiskies are inherently better, but others find that the age for optimum flavour development changes drastically from distillery to distillery, or even from cask to cask.
Colour can give a clue to the type of cask (sherry or bourbon) used to age the whisky, although the addition of legal "spirit caramel" is sometimes used to darken an otherwise lightly coloured whisky. Sherried whisky is usually darker or more amber in colour, while whisky aged in ex-bourbon casks is usually a golden-yellow/honey colour.

(From Wikipedia)

ElizaLeahy
4th August 2009, 07:45 PM
Oak turned smells like rum...

Happy turning tomorrow!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2009, 08:40 PM
Alas, what a betrayal of your heritage!:U

Alright, alright... it's good for pre-flavouring casks. :U

As toddlers our dummies were dipped in sherry and, when a bit older, on special occasions we were allowed "sherry shanties." I can't stand the stuff now. :rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
5th August 2009, 12:45 AM
....all this talk about booze is makin' me thirsty, but it's only 9:43 in the am right now, too early to have a couple of cold ones :C

Hope "Small Boy" gets to feelin' better !!

Ozkaban
5th August 2009, 03:15 PM
....all this talk about booze is makin' me thirsty, but it's only 9:43 in the am right now, too early to have a couple of cold ones :C

Hope "Small Boy" gets to feelin' better !!

It's already after 5pm somewhere in the world :2tsup:

Nice box TL. Was the timber pre-laminated, or did you do that yourself? Looks kinda cool :cool:

Cheers,
Dave

Rattrap
5th August 2009, 06:12 PM
You girls are going turned box crazy! Good on yas!
I really enjoy the unusual patterns that are born from segmented turning & this is no exception, nice work tea lady. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

tea lady
7th August 2009, 04:11 PM
:C I hate boxes. Whose idea was this anyway!:doh:

Finally got to go out and try to finish my first little box. Finished turning the other half. Lid fitted well. :2tsup: But then I couldn't get the lid to stay on to get its top properly finished. Swear curse. Retrieve from various places round the shed.

Can you see the dings. :doh: :waah:
I tried to sand the bumps off so it didn't get so many shocks, but no. Maybe I just do the flange a bit small or something?

:think: Maybe make a deeper jamb chuck so that leverage doesn't lift it off. So.... rummage,,, turn.....fiddle. ....get tissue...... slightly wet it cos is still not gripping it quite enough. OK! Muddle through. Manage to get it kinda finished. As long as I photograph it out of focus no one will know.
Base stays a bit better. After jamming little bits of veneer around it as well. :rolleyes:

Anyway! I have to call it finished now. :C Lots of things wrong with it. Not least of which is that I couldn't get the finish to sink in cos I couldn't get enough pressure on. Too frustrated now to touch it any more. Think I need a cup of tea.

jefferson
7th August 2009, 06:35 PM
Never mind, Tea Lady. The box looks OK - and it was your idea afterall. :D

Plenty of days left to go in the month. So next box, please put some details between the lid and the base. :wink:

I hope you can call through here next weekend. Some dirty, dusty redgum posts ready for you to practice on. (Not good for boxes though).

ElizaLeahy
7th August 2009, 06:55 PM
Looks ok to me - maybe needs a nob.

:)

tea lady
7th August 2009, 07:20 PM
Looks ok to me - maybe needs a nob.

:):doh: (Acshully the lid fits so tighly you've got to pick it up and pull it apart.:rolleyes: )

kdm
7th August 2009, 08:48 PM
I love the patterns in the lid - you can make them into things like you can with ink blots.

Let it rest overnight and the lid might fit perfectly or be stuck solid!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th August 2009, 08:48 PM
Looks good in the pix, AM. :)

A dremel with a felt buffing wheel is a convenient method for applying friction finish when pieces can't be remounted... :;

Tony Morton
7th August 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Anna-Maria

nice clean lines finished well what is the finish it looks good.

Chers Tony

Ed Reiss
7th August 2009, 09:30 PM
take it that after all the difficulties any future "Freds" are off the drawing board :rolleyes:

Hang in TL, can't hit a home run every time up to bat.:U

tea lady
7th August 2009, 09:40 PM

A dremel with a felt buffing wheel is a convenient method for applying friction finish when pieces can't be remounted... :;so can you tel Hubby that I need a Dremel please.:C

Hi Anna-Maria

nice clean lines finished well what is the finish it looks good.

Chers TonyI use "shithot Wax on this one cos I can't get the lid off my Shellawax. There is not enought on i thtough. When I geot it insde to proper liting I could see that patches of it were dry.:doh: Need to mount that reading light I haver sittin gon the shelf. Doesn't do much unless it is plugged in.:rolleyes:

take it that after all the difficulties any future "Freds" are off the drawing board :rolleyes:

Hang in TL, can't hit a home run every time up to bat.:UWhy not? :C Oh well. Shrug: Onwards and upwards. I have one more bit of table leg off cut. I'll make the bottom of the box with something else. maybe Blackwood. I think that will tone in nicely.:cool: I like the endgrain laminated effect. It reminds me of "oyster veneer" that Wouldwood was showing us once.:cool: Maybe I'll have to laminate some other wood up myself. That wattle that fell down last year perhaps.:D

Sawdust Maker
7th August 2009, 11:01 PM

A dremel with a felt buffing wheel is a convenient method for applying friction finish when pieces can't be remounted... :;

Was going to try the dremel for just that on a couple of pens
Skew, thanks for the confirmation the idea will work:2tsup:

Hey TL's huppy "Anne-Maria needs a Dremel for Father's day!"

tea lady
7th August 2009, 11:10 PM
Hey TL's huppy "Anne-Maria needs a Dremel for Father's day!":rolleyes: Someone's got to wear the pants round here. :work:

tea lady
7th August 2009, 11:13 PM

A dremel with a felt buffing wheel is a convenient method for applying friction finish when pieces can't be remounted... :;Actually, I've got a little elcheapo small drill thingy I got from Dick Smiths years ago. Doesn't drill straight, but maybe that would work for buffing. Where does one get the little felt wheels from? :? Or can I make home made pom-pom ? :cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th August 2009, 11:25 PM
The el-cheapo should work fine.

You should be ale to buy the parts from any Dremel stockist. I bought my last bits at Bunnnies. I think I paid around $10 for the arbour and have been paying about $11 for new packs of felt pads.

I keep my disks in seperate zip-lock bags, one just for EEE, one for Shellawax & one for Shithot waxsticks. :)

Was going to try the dremel for just that on a couple of pens
Skew, thanks for the confirmation the idea will work:2tsup:

Yeah, they work fine for me. It's how I've been dressing the edges on my winged bowls after cutting off the sacrificial pieces.

Also very handy for cleaning up a Shellawax finish when, no matter what you do, it comes up "ridged." :B

tea lady
8th August 2009, 12:26 AM
The el-cheapo should work fine.

You should be ale to buy the parts from any Dremel stockist. I bought my last bits at Bunnnies. I think I paid around $10 for the arbour and have been paying about $11 for new packs of felt pads.Off to Bunnings ....again.:rolleyes:

I keep my disks in seperate zip-lock bags, one just for EEE, one for Shellawax & one for Shithot waxsticks. :)Oh Very organized. :cool:

Yeah, they work fine for me. It's how I've been dressing the edges on my winged bowls after cutting off the sacrificial pieces.

Also very handy for cleaning up a Shellawax finish when, no matter what you do, it comes up "ridged." :B:2tsup:

tea lady
9th August 2009, 05:11 PM
Turned a little round box today without flinging it too far.:cool: Sorry, no picks. You will have to wait till I do the finials.:D Also roughed a few bits of timber round so I can just do the bit in the chuck tomorrow.:cool: Stay tuned. Watch this space. :happyb:

(Having fun again.:cool: )

ElizaLeahy
9th August 2009, 05:20 PM
You will catch up to me at this rate.

Yesterday market, and the day before getting stuff ready for the market (sold ONE pen!!!!!)

Today is my day off - I need a holiday.

Tomorrow is my aunties birthday, and as much as I don't want to, I have to visit. Mum wanted me to go for lunch so I could see the video of my cousins wedding. Let's see, I've seen my cousin about 3 times in my life, once as an adult. NO THANKS! So I'm going to drop off present and LEAVE!

(present, top in a box!)

Maybe tomorrow afternoon, but the afternoons are getting VERY hot and my lathe is now in the sun from 11 until 4.30!!!

So probably Tuesday morning. sigh.

tea lady
9th August 2009, 05:37 PM
You will catch up to me at this rate.:q

Yesterday market, and the day before getting stuff ready for the market (sold ONE pen!!!!!):C It takes a while for things to settle out at the market. Did you get a fell for what people liked?

Today is my day off - I need a holiday.

Tomorrow is my aunties birthday, and as much as I don't want to, I have to visit. Mum wanted me to go for lunch so I could see the video of my cousins wedding. Let's see, I've seen my cousin about 3 times in my life, once as an adult. NO THANKS! So I'm going to drop off present and LEAVE!

(present, top in a box!)Promoting your aunt to executive? :D

Maybe tomorrow afternoon, but the afternoons are getting VERY hot and my lathe is now in the sun from 11 until 4.30!!! Don't tell me about hot.:C I would like to turn at night but the shed is too cold after the sun goes down. :cold: I persist sometimes, but have to stop when the shivering gets to much.:rolleyes:

So probably Tuesday morning. sigh.Its alright! Real life will get in my way again soon. The boys went to the footy today.:D I think they are on the train now, so I have another hour of holiday. :cool:

rodent
18th August 2009, 10:21 PM
Actually, I've got a little elcheapo small drill thingy I got from Dick Smiths years ago. Doesn't drill straight, but maybe that would work for buffing. Where does one get the little felt wheels from? :? Or can I make home made pom-pom ? :cool:
IF you do make it out of cotton , like kitchen string .

tea lady
19th August 2009, 12:05 AM
IF you do make it out of cotton , like kitchen string .
:C I made it our of layers of cotton t-shirt, like a miniature swans down mop, (ater gazing at the little packets in Bunnings.:pi: ) but I couldn't get it to buff. I don't think it was getting hot enough, as heat is necessary for the shella wax to go in isn't it. So I've put that box down to think about for a while, and mucking up other things.

Today I had the mysterious shrinking lid phenomenin.:doh: I'm sure when it went together that the lid was the same diameter as the base, but after getting flung off it was suddenly really loose and 2mm smaller in diameter. :shrug:

tea lady
19th August 2009, 06:57 PM
So...... The mysterious shrinking lid? I was holding the lid in the chuck and had to wittle away shavings tillthe base went on, then after l'd sanded a bit it flung itself across the room like a ......flung thing:rolleyes:, and when I retreived it the lid was waaaaaaaaaaaaay to small. :hmm: Or the base was way to big. How come? When it was a jam fit to start? Did the lid get smaller some how? Does wood expand with heat? (Its Blackheart sassafrass BTW. With little bit of waste pine to hold on to, that was going to be parted off later.

So that was yesterday. Today I did two little silky oak box bodies.( Haven't done the finials yet. Was having a rest from them. Will do more tomorrow.:cool:) and I only flung one of the lids a little bit.:D (They still have a touch of shrinking lid too though. :shrug:

ElizaLeahy
19th August 2009, 07:12 PM
I had that mysterious skrinking lid syndrom happen to me yesterday too!

Is it happening to the boys too, or it is just us?

kdm
19th August 2009, 08:18 PM
Does wood expand with heat?

Yes :wink:

tea lady
20th August 2009, 12:04 AM
So if the wood is gonna change dimension as it warms from being sanded....... :? Do you just make sure everything is warm? :think: Have the bit you are not working on in front of the heater? Or just in your pocket.

Or do I just say "Its the sassafrass eccentric grain!":rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th August 2009, 12:41 AM
1. If the wood's heating up so much that it's moving while you're sanding, you're sanding way too hard. That sorta heat's not good for wood or the paper. Finger-burning heat's not good. 'Tis OK for a friction polish, but then you're not applying it for as long as you spend sanding.

2. Sometimes the wood momentarily spins in the jam chuck while turning/sanding. You may not notice it, but every time it spins it makes the fit looser. Not usually so much so that the lid's a mm smaller though... but enough that you may need a bit of paper packer? Yes.

3. To end up 2mm smaller, I reckon it hit the ground and did a burn-out before tearing off down the driveway. :; Or it wasn't really a good jam fit in the first place. Maybe a bit of grit or something else got in the way and made it seem tight?

4. Blaming the timber's always a good excuse. :U