PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon box restoration

trainingwheels
4th August 2009, 11:00 AM
Hi Guys,
I have returned after a long break but I am no further along in the experience department. I have inherited my grandfather's old pigeon carrying box which must be over 70 years old. When he stopped transporting birds he converted it into a poisons chest in his shed which is where I can remember it.
It is pretty flimsy and you might wonder why I want to restore it?. I have no idea other than sentimentality and a desire to bring it back to life and protect it from deteriorating further.

It is basically a rectangular box measuring 843mm long X 300mm wide X 410mm high. It is fitted with two hinges one of which has snapped where the arm meets the hinge barrel.I dont know whether to just replace both with similar modern hinges or to try and have the arm rejoined.With my luck the welder will blow out the metal and I will lose the hinge anyway.

The frame appears to be pine measuring 20mm X 24mm.It has a 4mm thick lining tacked to it.The lining appears to be ply or vaneer? Any opinion?. The vaneer is in pretty good condition considering it has been in the elements for at least 14 years,There are cracks in the base panel so I am reluctant to put anything in it. But I remember it standing on end in his workshop so I will be able to do the same.

I have cleaned the exterior surfaces using a mild cleaner and minimal water which has made a big difference.

I would imagine that the exterior surface will need a treatment to get rid of any fungis prior to painting?. I haven't decided yet exactly what I am going to paint it with or what basic no frills colour it is going to be.It is going to be a garage box so a finish that can be wiped over?

Anyone got any input, ideas, warnings? Will the lining take any particular paint better than another?, Should it be water based or what?
Looking forward to your comments and thoughts on the best way to go about this
Thanks for reading
TW

hap97
4th August 2009, 06:49 PM
If I was doing this box, and I certainly think it is worthwhile I would be inclined to:-

remove the hinges if possible and try to weld the broken one, if it fails then buy a new pair.
clean the rust off the old hinges and spray with clear spray pack finish. This keeps the age showing through.
Find a new handle, maybe get a cheap old Globite case or older leather case and remove the handle, and maybe the catches.
any plywood veneer splits are glued
Sand the outside, clean the inside.
Paint with oil based undercaot and gloss enamel (oil based) - but then again, acrylic would be OK.
I would not paint the inside, keep the original showing through.
Re-assemble and a great box is now suitable for inside, get another for the garage!

hap

trainingwheels
5th August 2009, 07:53 AM
Hi Hap,
Thanks for taking the time to read the post and offering your thoughts.Appreciate it.I'll do as you say and get the hinges off and restore them first.This is going to be interesting:)
Thanks again
TW

mart1986
8th October 2009, 09:30 AM
hows it coming along?

trainingwheels
8th October 2009, 02:10 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the interest.I have got the hinges off and found that the broken one was not repairable. There wasn't a big enough surface area to reweld the hinge arm so I gave up on the plan. I have just purchased a pair of similar hinges and it is set to go. They are not antique but will have to do.

I have sanded the exterior surface and glued the splits in the base.I don't think it is a perfect bond but it will spend the rest of its' days on end so the base should not take to much weight.The hasp that holds it shut is still in good nick so I am keeping that as is.I am still in two minds about keeping the handle on it.That is the way Grandad had it for as long as I can remember so I guess it stays until it gives in.Then I will source an old school bag handle as you suggested and fit it.

After the school hols have finished and I don't have the 'paint helpers' around I will give it a couple of coats and post some photos
Regards to all
TW

mart1986
9th October 2009, 03:54 AM
was it used for pigeons? im a pigeon fancier and would like to see it back ti its glory:U:U

trainingwheels
9th October 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi Mart1986,
According to family lore it was used as a pigeon box to ferry his birds around. Dad cannot pinpoint the years but my Grandfather used it before changing to aviary breeding.in the early 1960s There is no manufacturer stamps on the inside so that doesn't date it and we have no photos of the competitions he took it to.I will get the painting done and post more photos.
Regards
TW