PDA

View Full Version : lathe on ebay

ElizaLeahy
4th August 2009, 11:13 AM
This looks solid

Ex Tafe - probably worked to death?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wood-Lathe-Woodfast_W0QQitemZ320407265116QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Woodcrafts?hash=item4a99c2df5c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Slow6
4th August 2009, 11:34 AM
Hi Eliza :)
I don't know.. I have a short bed ex tafe woodfast of similar vintage that is now a second lathe and gets used for all sorts of horrible things that would make any lathes eyes water. I doubt I'll ever be able to work it to death.
The only down side to them is that the banjo and tail stock require a spanner to adjust, slows things down a tad.

There's plenty of room under the headstock for a good 240 motor and the bearings are standard. Headstock threads are either 1" or M30 depending on its age (both common) tail stock is MT2.

The only other issue with them is that the metal cabinets can get a little "drummy" if that makes sense.. amplifying the motor noise and the whop whop of your chisel on odd shaped blanks.

Ozkaban
4th August 2009, 11:40 AM
I saw that one and thought that it would probably clean up quite nicely. Seems solid enough, but doesn't have a lot of clearance over the bed. You'd also need to do something about the motor (I don't have three phase...).

Oh yeah, and the courier for the 813km required to get it home would be a killer :D

Cheers,
Dave

issatree
4th August 2009, 12:04 PM
Hi Eliza,
That Lathe looks like " a General " & good lathes never wear out. My Tough has been going for 19 years, never missed a beat. 3000 rpm. most of its life.
Small amount of maintenance, every 4 - 5 months, by taking the covers off the bearings & a bit of Molekote BR2+, & she is as sweet as pie again. I clean the bed quite often & I use "Silbein Gleit " or as we call it Silver Glide. Magical stuff.
It seems to be Electronic Variable Speed, which is a + , but maybe 3phase. hard to tell. Ask a question to seller.
Regards,
issatree.

ElizaLeahy
4th August 2009, 12:17 PM
Now all I need is a huge shed - and of course money - and I could get it as a second lathe.

But I just thought I'd show it in case anyone might be interested.

Ozkaban
4th August 2009, 12:21 PM
Now all I need is a huge shed - and of course money - and I could get it as a second lathe..

Me too :D

munruben
4th August 2009, 04:52 PM
If only I had 3 phase power.:(

Sawdust Maker
4th August 2009, 10:27 PM
Now all I need is a huge shed - and of course money - and I could get it as a second lathe.

But I just thought I'd show it in case anyone might be interested.

Ditto on the shed
and I would question whether huge is big enough :?

Ozkaban
5th August 2009, 10:36 AM
Ditto on the shed
and I would question whether huge is big enough :?

By definition, No!!!

You can never have too much money, Hard drive capacity or Shed Space. It's just a basic law :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

Paul39
5th August 2009, 11:43 AM
If only I had 3 phase power.:(

Google: Variable Frequency Drives

I bought a 3 phase, 120 volt, 1 hp almost new motor from a junk yard for .35 a pound.

Then a new TECO constant torque VFD for $135.

www.teco.com.tw

Your voltage is different but there are VFDs made for everything.

Also see:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/transformers-phase-converters-and-11.html

China
5th August 2009, 09:33 PM
That price will increase rapidly, these lathes are becomming hard to obtain and are quite sort after, people who have them do not want to part with very often, they go for ever, you can't kill them, you can replace the banjo with a camlock, plus you can set up for outboard turning

Ozkaban
10th August 2009, 11:39 AM
the listing eneded on 8th aug - no bids with start price $125...

If was closer to me, I would have bought it just to see what you could make of it. Would be a very solid lathe...

Ahh well, I guess if the Collective Wisdom thought it was not worth it, who am I to argue :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

China
10th August 2009, 11:09 PM
Well I am supprised, similar woodfast lathes usually go for around the $800 mark