PDA

View Full Version : Things you have learnt so far

ElizaLeahy
5th August 2009, 04:56 PM
I thought it would be good to have a general thread for anything you might have learnt - even if it's really obvious and basic.

Might not be obvious and basic to others. (eg - me)

I'll start.

I've learnt that when you are seeking a tight jam lid so you can use it as a jam chuck it's so so so easy to go that one tiny dust of a fraction too much. And then paper towel comes in handy as a washer to tighten it up again.

I've learnt that not listening to KenW and not taking the time to make a jam chuck can leave to squish marks from the nova chuck.

I've learnt that I don't know how to make a jam chuck for a sphere (ie, the orange). Anyone got any suggestions on that?

I can't think of anything else right this minute, although I know there have been other things.

wheelinround
5th August 2009, 05:41 PM
Keep fingernails trimmed and short :~ 3 times in 2 days damn things caught. and they are only short anyway.

Dont fly/sand to close to the chuck ..... see above:roll:

In my next life make sure I have a bigger shed :;

Happy amateur
5th August 2009, 06:54 PM
If you can get hold of a book "woodturning wizardry by David Springet"
He shows how to make a jam chuck for a sphere. He uses it making chinese balls

Fred

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th August 2009, 07:12 PM
It's not a good idea to design your turnings with a chisel instead of a pencil! Not unless you like wondering "how do I proceed from here?" :C

Eliza, doughnut chucks work better for spheres. As you've already found out, spheres won't "jam." I've the same problem with my box. :U

ElizaLeahy
5th August 2009, 07:16 PM
OK, what's a donut chuck - I do like the sound of it!

(now I'm thinking donut box...)

Something else I have to buy, no doubt!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th August 2009, 07:23 PM
No, you won't have to buy one... it's sorta like a jam-chuck.

Actually, think of a jam-chuck that's three times as wide as the piece you're turning, so it's got wide shoulders. Then cut a ring of around the same size out of a piece of scrap with the centre hole a little bit smaller than your piece.

Fit your piece in the jam-chuck, then put the ring on and screw it down to the jam-chuck so that it "clamps" the piece in there. Then you can work through the hole in the ring. It's a bit awkward, restricts your access, but it works well... and unless something goes seriously aglay then the piece can't fly across the room after a bad catch.

Actually, the ring doesn't have to touch the jam chuck; for my box I'll be using 4" long coach-bolts to clamp it all together. Hopefully, you'll see what I mean in the next installment on my box, as I have to build a doughnut chuck for the next step! :U

That may be a few days away, though...

wheelinround
5th August 2009, 07:25 PM
OK, what's a donut chuck - I do like the sound of it!

(now I'm thinking donut box...)

Something else I have to buy, no doubt!

This when :pig:cops eat far to many doughnuts and :puke:

Come on Eliza do a google search or this forum search

jimbur
5th August 2009, 07:35 PM
In my next life make sure I have a bigger shed :;

I've learned that lesson very well :U
Cheers
Jim

ElizaLeahy
5th August 2009, 07:37 PM
This when :pig:cops eat far to many doughnuts and :puke:

Come on Eliza do a google search or this forum search

I did, and I doubt if anything like that is going to turn up in my shed anytime soon.

But I like making Skew explain as well.

:p

kdm
5th August 2009, 07:44 PM
Be very careful moving the tool rest, tools or anything around the poor defenceless bit of wood. It can be hard as nails to turn but for some reason it will dent as easy as anything!

mick61
5th August 2009, 09:18 PM
G`day Eliza to jam a sphere you have to make a concave sort of jam chuck at the chuck end and also one for the tailstock end I could explain it better with pictures if I had some to hand.
I will get back to you on this
Mick:D

Sawdust Maker
5th August 2009, 09:48 PM
I've learnt that you shouldn't put a chisel under your arm :doh:

what about an egg chuck - check out TTIT's website. I think he describes how to make one

KenW
13th August 2009, 06:42 PM
I thought it would be good to have a general thread for anything you might have learnt - even if it's really obvious and basic.

Might not be obvious and basic to others. (eg - me)

I'll start.

I've learnt that when you are seeking a tight jam lid so you can use it as a jam chuck it's so so so easy to go that one tiny dust of a fraction too much. And then paper towel comes in handy as a washer to tighten it up again.

I've learnt that not listening to KenW and not taking the time to make a jam chuck can leave to squish marks from the nova chuck.

I've learnt that I don't know how to make a jam chuck for a sphere (ie, the orange). Anyone got any suggestions on that?

I can't think of anything else right this minute, although I know there have been other things.
Your orange box is easy to jam chuck, it has a join. You need to make two jam chucks, one for the lid and one for the base. The outside diameter of the chucks should be the same as the base/lid. Hold base/lid in place with tailsock and use plastic electrical tape to join base/lid to jam chuck. Remove tailstock and turn the rest of the outside of base/lid.

ElizaLeahy
13th August 2009, 06:56 PM
Ahhh tape! I didn't think of that. In fact, I bought some today.

Last night we were watching TV and a preview of some show came on, a guy sitting tied to a chair with tape across his mouth. I said to Zoe

"Oh that reminds me, I need to get some gaffa tape."

:D

Went to bunnings today, also bought a little sander, but that's for another project.

KenW
13th August 2009, 07:20 PM
Ahhh tape! I didn't think of that. In fact, I bought some today.

Last night we were watching TV and a preview of some show came on, a guy sitting tied to a chair with tape across his mouth. I said to Zoe

"Oh that reminds me, I need to get some gaffa tape."

:D

Went to bunnings today, also bought a little sander, but that's for another project.
Not Gaffer tape, Electrical. Electrical tape stretches around the shape better.

ElizaLeahy
13th August 2009, 07:31 PM
Wouldn't the world be simpler if there was ONE KIND of everything?

RETIRED
13th August 2009, 09:18 PM
Your orange box is easy to jam chuck, it has a join. You need to make two jam chucks, one for the lid and one for the base. The outside diameter of the chucks should be the same as the base/lid. Hold base/lid in place with tailsock and use plastic electrical tape to join base/lid to jam chuck. Remove tailstock and turn the rest of the outside of base/lid.Remember to put it on in the direction of rotation to help in not undoing while it spins.:cool:

Sawdust Maker
13th August 2009, 09:30 PM
Not Gaffer tape, Electrical. Electrical tape stretches around the shape better.
electrical or duct ?

KenW
14th August 2009, 09:46 PM
Remember to put it on in the direction of rotation to help in not undoing while it spins.:cool:
, your taking all the fun out of this.

electrical or duct ?
PVC electrical tape is best. It will stretch and form to the shape of your box / jam chuck join.

kdm
15th August 2009, 08:49 AM
Other things learned so far:

A light that can be moved around is really handy whilst hollowing. I ended up getting an angle poise style one pretty cheaply from Ikea which is fixed to the wall behind the lathe.

Someone suggested marking wood when mounting in the scroll chuck so it can be remounted the same (ie the same bit held by jaw 1 etc) to help avoid runout. I now routinely mark between jaw 1 and 2. Good tip, thanks :2tsup:

When hollowing, especially working on the flange, it is often best to look at the bottom right, rather than where the tool is, for a clearer view.

Similarly, when turning beads etc, it is often best to look at the shape developing on the top of the piece.

Turn beads slowly - possibly only at the begginer stage but that's me :U

A small white board is handy. Put it on the bench and draw the planned piece with dimensions etc then put the board on the wall behind the lathe.

rodent
19th August 2009, 12:33 AM
, your taking all the fun out of this.

PVC electrical tape is best. It will stretch and form to the shape of your box / jam chuck join.
No Ken we don't want a mummified Eliza it just wouldn't look good in the newspaper .Woman wrapped up in her hobby .:o

ElizaLeahy
19th August 2009, 09:27 AM
As it is I'm getting buried in sawdust.

Another hint... buy more sandpaper before you run out

Hopefully some will come from the sandpaperman today!

JackJack
21st August 2009, 08:50 PM
I've learnt that although it's ok for the grain of a box to go in any direction, the general concenus is that the grain should run the length of the lathe.

Good information for an apprentice.

ElizaLeahy
21st August 2009, 09:08 PM
I've learnt that although it's ok for the grain of a box to go in any direction, the general concenus is that the grain should run the length of the lathe.

Good information for an apprentice.

I've learned it's more fun to break the rules. Oh, I already knew that

;)