PDA

View Full Version : The Remington Gouge

Phil Spencer
5th August 2009, 08:18 PM
This is the best use for a gun that I can think of, it has been made from a Remington pump action shotgun, its not bad for roughing out a bowl. i am going to loan it to Woodwood so he can test it and post a report. :):D

Don't really like guns I was shot when I was 11 years old haven't really liked them since

Allan at Wallan
5th August 2009, 08:21 PM
Pump action chisels ? ? ?

Haven't seen them at Jim Carroll's - must be new.:D

Allan

powderpost
5th August 2009, 09:52 PM
Interesting. So far I have made woodturning tools from, a four pound axe, a tomahawk, a welders chipping hammer, a valve rocker push rod and a piece of water pipe. The water pipe was a complete waste of time, it wouldn't hold an edge. There is a gun smith in town, I will have to pay a visit... :)
Jim

ColW
5th August 2009, 11:20 PM
:2tsup: The world just become a slightly better place.

tea lady
5th August 2009, 11:52 PM
Don't really like guns I was shot when I was 11 years old haven't really liked them since

:C That would do it! I don't like 'em and I've only seen 'em on telly.:rolleyes:

Looks interesting. Does the tube fill up with shavings though?:?

Woodwould
6th August 2009, 12:26 AM
This is the best use for a gun that I can think of, it has been made from a Remington pump action shotgun, its not bad for roughing out a bowl. i am going to loan it to Woodwood so he can test it and post a report. :):D

Great! I'll give it a shot! I've got a load of turning to do, so when you bring the barrel round I'll throw a slug of Ash in the lathe and fire it up and see if I can turn a new plane knob to replace a stock Stanley item. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new gouge, butt I can sling that idea now (I won't bore you with the details, but I can't really afford to shell out much on new tools after buying a flash new hammer recently). :roll:

echnidna
6th August 2009, 12:44 AM
hmmm, pull a trigger to hollow a bowl

eisbaer
6th August 2009, 03:04 AM
i've been tempted to keep a shotgun in the shed. For when i turn quinine. Although shooting it probably wouldn't help either :)

dr4g0nfly
6th August 2009, 06:54 AM
It might be a great way of roughing out a bowl, but I recommend lead shot, anything harder will damage your other tools edges!

RETIRED
6th August 2009, 09:04 AM
Great! I'll give it a shot! I've got a load of turning to do, so when you bring the barrel round I'll throw a slug of Ash in the lathe and fire it up and see if I can turn a new plane knob to replace a stock Stanley item. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new gouge, butt I can sling that idea now (I won't bore you with the details, but I can't really afford to shell out much on new tools after buying a flash new hammer recently). :roll:What!!! You don't have to go rifling through the pile to get sight of something?:wink:

rsser
6th August 2009, 09:22 AM
10/10 for sustained punning. A gem. Really hit the bullseye.

I'd like to jump into the breech and add a salvo but it wouldn't be a barrel of fun.

RETIRED
6th August 2009, 09:41 AM
10/10 for sustained punning. A gem. Really hit the bullseye.

I'd like to jump into the breech and add a salvo but it wouldn't be a barrel of fun.I nearly choked on it myself.:)

Phil Spencer
6th August 2009, 09:54 AM
:C That would do it! I don't like 'em and I've only seen 'em on telly.:rolleyes:

Looks interesting. Does the tube fill up with shavings though?:?

Yep

Phil Spencer
6th August 2009, 09:57 AM
Great! I'll give it a shot! I've got a load of turning to do, so when you bring the barrel round I'll throw a slug of Ash in the lathe and fire it up and see if I can turn a new plane knob to replace a stock Stanley item. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new gouge, butt I can sling that idea now (I won't bore you with the details, but I can't really afford to shell out much on new tools after buying a flash new hammer recently). :roll:

Bring it down with the mortising jig it will need to be sharpened before you use it.:)

Phil Spencer
6th August 2009, 10:01 AM
Interesting. So far I have made woodturning tools from, a four pound axe, a tomahawk, a welders chipping hammer, a valve rocker push rod and a piece of water pipe. The water pipe was a complete waste of time, it wouldn't hold an edge. There is a gun smith in town, I will have to pay a visit... :)
Jim

I re-tempered the steel after grinding the bevel, it tends to block up with chips, to use it roll it across the tool rest. :)

artme
6th August 2009, 10:32 AM
Is there no end to the recycling game? that is a great use for ye barrel. I was wondering about suitability - re hardness and temper- but you have answered the question.

Texian
6th August 2009, 12:29 PM
Would that be a 12 gage gouge?

nalmo
6th August 2009, 10:36 PM
Why not just connect your dust extractor to the other end of the barrel. No cleaning up at the end of the day.

joe greiner
6th August 2009, 10:42 PM
More on this subject here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=81594

Cheers,
Joe

rodent
7th August 2009, 01:39 PM
Jim
PP you use steam pipe not water pipe its harder . So a .22 cals a profile gouge ?:o